• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

How does a homebound person shop for a new mattress?

Denise

Thank you so much, everybody. :):balloons::balloons:

That helps a lot.

If you still want input, the MAY 2015 Consumer Reports has info on mattresses and in particular they mention two companies Casper and Tufts and Needle that have good/interesting return policies.
"...you get 100 nights to decide whether to keep it. If not Casper will let you exchange or return it for your money back with no restocking or other fees. Shipping is free, too."
re Tuft and Needle "it has a 30-night trial period. No mattresses actually go back to the company; instead, you're asked to donate it to a charity and show the seller the receipt for a full refund - or full credit toward an exchange. ..."

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
I had a feather bed for years. Replaced it with a 2 1/2" latex topper and realized there is a slump in the middle of my bed when I woke up each morning in pain.

I can't flip it so have been shopping online because going out is too much.

One thing I noticed in all of these posts is you guys are talking about $800 mattresses! I don't have $800 for a mattress. I know I need a decent one but that's so out of my league.

And even if I could afford a Casper, where do I put my old mattress while I decide? And who eventually removes it?

I called a store today and they had one for $650 done. I choked on that.

Right now I stuffed a blanket in the groove in the middle of my bed until I figure out what to do. Hope that helps.

Last edited:
I had a feather bed for years. Replaced it with a 2 1/2" latex topper and realized there is a slump in the middle of my bed when I woke up each morning in pain.

I can't flip it so have been shopping online because going out is too much.

One thing I noticed in all of these posts is you guys are talking about $800 mattresses! I don't have $800 for a mattress. I know I need a decent one but that's so out of my league.

And even if I could afford a Casper, where do I put my old mattress while I decide? And who eventually removes it?

I called a store today and they had one for $650 done. I choked on that.

Right now I stuffed a blanket in the groove in the middle of my bed until I figure out what to do. Hope that helps.

@minkeygirl the best mattress I have ever bought cost less than $200. I spent an additional $120 on a 2 1/2 inch memory foam topper. I never should have got rid of that bed for the overpriced pillow -top mattress I have now.

brenda

I bought a latex mattress but it was too firm so l bought an organic down and feather topper. Big mistake as it flattened and l did not have the energy to shake it. I bought a new three inch soft latex topper from ebay and it is much better and my sleep is improved. There is a web site and forum that gives advice about what to go for and the admin is very knowledgeable. She really knows her stuff and which stores are best in the US. Sorry forget where it is but will post when l remember. I wish l had found it before l wasted money on an organic futon, which was my first foray into chemical and metal free beds but was much too firm.

When I was in high school and we were dirt poor, we bought some really good mattresses from a local company which resold the items being replaced at the good hotels in the area. They'd throw out their spring mattresses every few years, and with a ton of hotels in the area (Hawaii), there was pretty much always something available. Anyhow, something similar might be an option if there's a resort industry nearby.

Also in college I think the local Goodwill or Salvation Army had some basic new mattresses for sale. Spring mattresses can be quite cheap now I think, and while they don't hold up as long they might still be a good value if you can get a couple good years out of them.

Ikea has spring mattresses for $140-$280, and more expensive if toppers are attached. Proper foam mattresses at Ikea start at $200 and go up to $500. Latex is $380-$800. My personal experience is that their foam mattresses are very high quality - as good or better than a foam mattress worth $2,000 I'd gotten from a regular mattress store about 10 years ago. There's also been independent consumer research done in Europe showing that the cheaper Ikea mattresses rate at the top of the pack.[/QUOTE]

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
All good ideas @Valentijn if I could get out. This thread is about trying to get a mattress if your home bound. And I have no friends to help.

even if I ordered from ikea the shipping is minimum $99 and I don't know if they would set up the mattress and remove the old one.

I decided to return the latex (free return shopping) and stick with my feather bed for now.

It's the 10th of the month and I'm already almost out of money.

Mij

I've ordered both my mattresses, one over the phone in the 90's when there was no internet and my new one online.

@minkeygirl have you considered buying a cotton filled futon to put your mattress on top? It gives more support than a box spring. I did this for years. Do you have a bed frame?

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
@Mij. I have a platform bed and just the mattress which sits about 3" down into the frame with slats on the bottom. The problem with anything like a futon is how on earth do I get it in and on? I also think that would be too hard for me.

I called a few mattress places last night. One was almost $700. One was a good price but all sales final. That scared me. One was remanufactured with no warranty. I know they are expensive but I just don't have the money.

I got my old feather bed hoisted up, forget sheets for now, and I found one that is the same company that good reviews. So for now that'll have to do.

I was so hoping the Natural Latex would work out. I liked it, no smell, not hot, oh except that I've been in pain for 3 days! LOL.

Mij

@minkeygirl I understand the type of platform you have. I think it would work, futons are a bit heavy though. They arrive rolled up so you could just roll it on or ask the delivery person to place it on the platform for you. You just leave it there after that. I liked the support it gave under my mattress. It only cost me $220

I have a flat bed frame with no slots and the futon was heavy enough not to move or shift. I placed my mattress on it and it did not slip, but it raised my bed quite a bit. If it was any higher I would have to do the long jump to get in bed LOL

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
So you put it under your mattress? My mattress is too hard. I need something on top. I'll pm you a pic of my setup.

I'm on my old feather bed. It's fine. After this mess I don't want to rush into anything.

Mij

@minkeygirl I replied PM.

I'm glad you're ok with your old bed. I need to find the perfect pillow now! I've been searching for years. I hate memory foam and feathered pillows.

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
I'm with you on pillows. Mine are so old. But for me flat is good.

It's hard to find "low profile" for stomach sleepers.

I don't want to put my face in foam. Feathers are ok but they have to be perfect. On goes the search.

Mij

What I have now are the Tony Little Micropedic pillows with micro beads. They are very comfortable and non allergenic but lose their support after 4 months or so. I have to put them on top of my buckwheat pillow because I need my head elevated when I lie down or sleep.

Last edited:

brenda

Buckwheat pillows are hard to beat! They give really good support and are cool to the head. I would not use any other now. They are made from dried buckwheat kernals and you can easily save a bit money by buying them loose and pouring them into a pillow case, both organic for me. Then you get a full size one,whereas a lot on sale are smaller than that. I especially like mine when l am using my Android lying down as you can move it about to get exactly the right position you need.

Don't fill it too full though!

I then use a pure silk pillow case of the higher quality silk and that is fabulous too.

Mij

This is what I like about buckwheat pillows too. It's a great pillow for neck support and back sleepers (not stomach sleepers).