• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

How Do You Take L-Tryptophan Powder?

Little Bluestem

All Good Things Must Come to an End
I recently bought L-Tryptophan powder instead of capsules because it costs less. Tonight I tried to stir it into water. Much of it stuck to the spoon and the sides of the cup. What remained in the water did not taste too bad, but it didn't taste too great either. I cannot see eating the powder straight.

Does anyone else take this? If so, how do you get it down?

Lotus97

Yeah, same thing happened to me. My brand doesn't taste very good at all. I thought I'd save some money by buying the powder, but that didn't go so well. I haven't decided what to do yet. I've been saving a lot of empty capsules so I might put it in there. You could also make a thick fruit smoothie (without protein powder of course) and put it in there. Also, certain fiber supplements get thick when you mix them in water so you could mix it all together so the liquid would be the same consistency.

Lala

I am weaning off tryptophan now, so I open capsule and split the powder, then put part of it on tea spoon and swallow with small amount of water. It does not taste bad and I have Now Foods brand. I found out there can be big difference among brands...

Lala

In that case, I would caution anyone thinking about buying NutraBio brand Tryptophan because as I said it tastes awful.

Oh, I have not tried NutraBio Tryptophan, but I have NutraBio Tyrosin powder and it gave me nasty side effects, which other brand did not have at all. I could not take it, so certainly would not order more products from them.

Little Bluestem

Mine is FTH Nutraceuticals. I take MSM powder with a little water, but I don't the taste of this stuff. I read somewhere (my old capsule bottle?) that l-tryptophan should be taken on an empty stomach. That is why I had not mixed it with a little peanut butter. There is nothing about that on the powder bottle.

On my last trip to the health food store I inadvertently grabbed a bottle of MSM capsules instead of the powder. I am emptying the MSM capsules and filling them with l-tryp. That is a pain.

Lotus97

The main thing about taking amino acids on an empty stomach is that they shouldn't be taken with protein because they will compete with the amino acids from the protein in the food.

Little Bluestem

I have been adding my l-tryptophan to the applesauce to which I also add flax seed meal and Lethicin. The flax seed meal contains about 1 gm of protein. Is that a problem?

Lotus97

I have been adding my l-tryptophan to the applesauce to which I also add flax seed meal and Lethicin. The flax seed meal contains about 1 gm of protein. Is that a problem?
I don't know. One supplement manufacturer even says not to take amino acid supplements at the same time.
For optimum absorption, take separately from protein-containing foods and dietary supplements containing protein or amino acids.