• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

How do you pronounce SEID ? (Poll)

How do you pronounce SEID ?

• Total voters

CantThink

I was just thinking, it's interesting how S.L.E. is reduced to either those letters (verbally spelled out as letters like M.E.), or Lupus. None of S.E.I.D. is unique enough to do as Lupus has done... I think it is better to just say the letters as we do with C.F.S., H.I.V. etc

halcyon

It seems pretty common, but definitely not universal, to pronounce acronyms with vowels in the right places as words rather than spell them out.

Forbin

"Seid" is also a given name, a variant on the Arabic sayyid, which means lord or prince.

It's the same derivation as "El Cid," the legendary military leader of medieval Spain. The pronunciation is kind of halfway between "sid" and "seed."

(You can merge the initial "s" sound with a "th" sound in a sort of lisp if you want to sound authentically Castillian.)

Perhaps an association to El Cid is appropriate in a way. He kept fighting despite a major physical impairment.
Legend has it that he lead a successful cavalry charge... after he was dead.

el_cid13.jpg

Hip

I put the word SEID into a text document on my Mac, and activated the text-to-speech utility, and my Mac pronounced it as SEED (as in what plants come from).

I was trying out various pronunciation ideas, and find that esi-eye-dee flows off the tongue quite easily (that is, saying the individual letters S-E-I-D in soft and flowing way, rather than in a staccato manner).

alex3619

Wasting time and money thinking up innacurate and ludicrous names for a debilitating neurological illness is obviously more important than researching to find a cure.
I have been saying for years that a new name is the wrong goal. Our primary initial focus should be for a diagnostic test. Then we can define a new name.

Now while I expect the name to be hotly debated, I am more interested in the reasoning behind the other things, and what evidence they cite.

beaker

ME/cfs 1986
i dont understand why they are trying to broaden the definition which will just muddy any good research. They are doing that with fibro now, ingrown toe nail and u can get a diagnosis on fibro??
Maybe that was the goal all along. They throw us a few bones w/ the "serious disease" "real disease" talk and think everyone will be so happy about that and getting rid of CFS. But at this point, the money needs to go to research. At least they did say that. BUT what will this criteria change do to the research and building on what is already out there ? Until there is more I say stick w/ CCC !!!!!