• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

How do you manage a laptop while lying down?

joyscobby

on screen keyboard

on windows xp,in programmes under accessories, in folder ease of access

there is also a narator and magnifier.

Sacajawea

slightly bedraggled
Another keyboard!

:DKoan,
It really was that simple...but don't think I haven't tried it before. I tried it last year w/ my son's laptop and it wouldn't work. So I tried it w/ the exsisting keyboard (wireless) on the other PC and it didn't work (and I have no idea where the disc is but I suspect I'd have to install the software) so someone else (two others in fact) had suggested that...

So I remembered in my closet is my old and very favorite ergonomic keyboard that I've had for a few years...I plugged it in and what do you know? It's as simple as that. It also has a really long cord so it worked well from the other computer too.

I spilled a drink on it some time ago and the p and n don't work unless you pound so I'll have to get a different one unless I can get that to work. I could never get rid of it hoping it would work again. Either way, I have a friend who has extra computer parts and I'll ask him if he can give me a keyboard.

Thank you all for the suggestions...I love that lapdesk that's $99. My close friend (who also is suffering from FM and severe asthma and homebound much of the time) says it would be perfect for her, so she's going to order it. I'll find out if I like it that way, lol! I sent the link to her and she loves it.

Joyscobby, I have the utmost respect for you if you use your mouse w/ that keyboard...I tried it out and I could've used that a few years ago. It looks very time consuming I hope everyone knows what an immense effort it is to type out a post! BTW, I love the Pogues...my fav Scottish group is Marillion...

Gracenote, I tried the dragon system about 5 years ago and if you tend to slur, ugh...it was a headache for me but someone was telling me they've been really refined since then and new technology discovered.

Thank you all...
Now I need a nap! I'm typing from the laptop keyboard since the other one has the sticky letters...I might see if I can get that other one tonight!!!

SJ:D

Sacajawea

slightly bedraggled
Smiling!!

Koan,
I know...I am just beside myself with joy, smiling, laughing, just tickled beyond belief...not even going to kick myself for the wasted months, I probably needed that rest anyway. A small victory...bringing me the biggest thrill right now. Asante sana!!!! Merci! Obrigado!, danke...and on and on...

Love Ya,
SJ:)

K

_Kim_

Your suggestion looks very interesting because you can lie flat on your back and use it.

Anyone know of a special mouse one can use with laptops?

Andrew, I use a wireless mouse with a USB plugin for my laptop. It 'mouses' on my knee, on my sofa, though an actual mousepad would probably work too :)

Lily

*Believe*
Special mouse???

Not sure what you mean by special but I use a Logitech wireless mouse that works on any surface......love it. I use it in all positions I can manage to use my laptop on my bed - and there are many:p. Handy gadget i wouldn't be without.:)

Andrew

Andrew, I use a wireless mouse with a USB plugin for my laptop. It 'mouses' on my knee, on my sofa, though an actual mousepad would probably work too :)
Whoa! I just tried out my mouse on my pants and shirt. It works!

Now, why didn't I just try this before.

FernRhizome

custom recumbent work station

Hi Folks!
During one of my severest bedridden years I sent in a proposal to my state university's engineering team to design a recumbent work station for me and they did a beautiful job! They built a chase lounge with a monitor above me and a split keyboard, left side of bed for left hand and etc. on right side. I haven't used it much because of neck problems but it was very well designed. Is there a way for me to attach a photo to this? If so I could do that so you can see it. ~FR

Attachments

• IMG_0883.jpg
    IMG_0883.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_0881.jpg
    IMG_0881.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 47
K

_Kim_

attaching a photo

Hi Folks!
During one of my severest bedridden years I sent in a proposal to my state university's engineering team to design a recumbent work station for me and they did a beautiful job! They built a chase lounge with a monitor above me and a split keyboard, left side of bed for left hand and etc. on right side. I haven't used it much because of neck problems but it was very well designed. Is there a way for me to attach a photo to this? If so I could do that so you can see it. ~FR

To attach a photo, click on the paperclip icon
attach.gif
- it's to the right of the smilie face above the post you are editing. You can then Browse > Upload a picture that will show up as a thumbnail in your post.

Can't wait to see your work station!

FernRhizome

Okay, thanks! I just added photos to my earlier e-mail of my custom designed work station built for me by senior engineering students at the state university. ~FernRhizome

HopingSince88

Dragons

There is an application called Dragon Naturally Speaking from nuance.com. I have not used it, but have heard good things about it. The app allows you to speak to your computer and your computer will either follow the commands, or write the text that you speak.

Sacajawea

slightly bedraggled
Hi All!
I finally got a new keyboard today. A big difference! :D It's been impossible since a crash last week to even type a few words on the laptop so I'm just thrilled.
I love my Logitech mouse too, as I mainly use it on my hip. I'm glad you discovered that handy use, Andrew!

FernRhizome, that work station is awesome! Some friends were going to mount my monitor to hang from my ceiling but I had too much damage from a storm that needed to get fixed first. But this idea is awesome, and who would've thought about splitting up a keyboard! I'm so sorry to hear neck problems prevent you from using it. I learned how to type w/o having to look at the monitor and otherwise I get many problems with my neck.

Kudos to that team at the university! I have a 7th grade daughter who is in an engineer club at school and she thinks it's really cool! She's all about invention so maybe she'll come up with something for me!

This new keyboard is spaced much different so typing is slow and I have to look at it to type so once again I'm sitting up. However, once I get used to it I'll be good to go I'm sure.

There's a website for sitting disability I discovered a few years ago. I checked it out the other day-- a lady from Norway runs in and uses a wheel bed to get around. That's how I found the site but it has lots of tips for bedbound folks and computer use. I will see if I can post the link. Lol, at one point friends were going to make me a wheel-bed! I would've used it too.

http://www.mosken.com/sit.html

Mosken might be a member here...I saw that she has a link to this forum on her website.

SJ:)

"During one of my severest bedridden years I sent in a proposal to my state university's engineering team to design a recumbent work station for me and they did a beautiful job! They built a chase lounge with a monitor above me and a split keyboard, left side of bed for left hand and etc. on right side. I haven't used it much because of neck problems but it was very well designed" FernRhizome

MEKoan

Hey SJ,

Sorry to hear that you haven't been up to much computing and that you must, temporarily, type sitting up!

But, I share you optimisim that all is about to be much better!

I looked at the site you linked. Very useful! I bet there are a lot of ideas we could all use from there!

Take care of you!

leelaplay

Welcome back SJ:)

How exciting - physical aids that work! I find all this so inspiring - the keyboard, mouse on hip, work station,.........and Mosken's site in Norway.

And friends and a university creatively helping design what you need. Brilliant to write the university engineers, and brilliant of them for responding. Hmmmm - that gets me thinking........And it sounds like your daughter may be adding something to the tool kit soon.

Thanks for the dose of hope
islandfinn:)

MEKoan

Hey Fern,

(Did I tell you I love your nick? Makes me laugh every time I see it.)

I really hope you get to use your cool setup! Must be very frustrating not to be able to.

Will hold good thoughts about fiddleheads come spring!

leelaplay

Hey Fern,

(Did I tell you I love your nick? Makes me laugh every time I see it.)

I really hope you get to use your cool setup! Must be very frustrating not to be able to.

Will hold good thoughts about fiddleheads come spring!

:confused::confused: oh - so sorry FernR, it was your workstation. And it was you that wrote to the engineers at the state university. My post is an example of what happens if I don't read (or remember) every single post.:eek: