1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Can You Come for a Visit? My ME/CFS Says No
My daughter and son-in-law just had a baby last week. We are thrilled. But we won't be able to see the baby or hold her any time soon. We won't be able to take over little gifts or help out with housework or babysitting.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

How do you know if you have a fermenting gut?

Discussion in 'Gastrointestinal and Urinary' started by paul80, Apr 7, 2012.

1. paul80

paul80

Is there anyway to tell if you a fermenting gut?
    The supplements i order depend on this and it will make things more difficult and expensive if i buy for a fermenting gut.

Also if you have a fermenting guy will you also have a leaky gut or are these completely separate?
  2. nanonug

nanonug Senior Member

Virginia, USA
    I would say that all of our guts are fermenting in the sense that whatever undigested food gets to the colon will be acted upon by the bacteria there. If you are specially looking for alcohol fermentation then I guess an ethanol blood test or a breath test would tell you.
  3. paul80

paul80

But if your gut is fermenting what symptoms would do experience when you eat food containing sugars such as fruit?
  4. Sushi

Sushi Moderator and Senior Member Albuquerque

Albuquerque
    I think one of the best ways to tell is to get it tested with a complete stool/digestive test that is anaerobic. I believe Metametrix has one. Until it is thoroughly tested you will just be guessing. Many of us also have infections in the gut that lead to gut dysfunction. http://www.metametrix.com/test-menu/profiles/categorized

Best,
    Sushi
  5. nanonug

nanonug Senior Member

Virginia, USA
    Abdominal pain and swelling, gas, constipation or diarrhea, for example. However, these symptoms are very non-specific.
  6. paul80

paul80

Ok, thanks for the info.

See more popular forum discussions.