1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
9th Invest in ME International ME Conference, 2014 - Part 1: Autoimmunity and ME
Mark Berry begins a series of articles on the 9th Invest in ME International ME Conference in London, with a look at three presentations on autoimmunity
Discuss the article on the Forums.

How do you know if you are Methylating properly?

Discussion in 'Detox: Methylation; B12; Glutathione; Chelation' started by abporter, Jun 10, 2014.

1. abporter

abporter

Austin, TX
    I recently was clinically diagnosed with Lyme disease. A friend who also has Lyme wrote this to me:

"if you are going to be doing detox for lyme tx -- check out amy yasko's methylation panel. KNOW YOUR GENETICS for detox before you start taking stuff! I had extreme, almost suicide inducing setbacks for two years due to not knowing i had some genetic mutations that had been turned on that were making tx that other people tolerate well a living hell for me. many many lyme friends had same experience. so, i would recommend anyone start with knowing your methylation glitches -- BEFORE you start pushing toxins around."

I think this is wise, at the same time, I'm wondering how do I know if I'm methylating properly?

GracieJ likes this.
  2. Helen

Helen Senior Member

Hi abporter,
    One way to know about your methylation is to have this test http://www.hdri-usa.com/tests/methylation/ . If you have difficulties tolerating alcohol that indicates a decreased methylation.

Your MTHFR 6777 gene defect decreases your enzyme activity with 30-50 % so you´d better supplement this with methylfolate.

Your MTR and MTRR polymorphisms indicate that you also need vitamin B12 supplementation, probably a high dose. Did you have homocysteine tested? Tests for vitamin B12?

Also your polymorphisms in the detox profile indicates a lowered detox capacity. GST- polymorphisms or even absent genes tells that the binding capacity with glutathione is probably much lowered.

The polymorphisms in the CYP3A4 slows down the metabolism of 50-60 % of all medications and the CYP1B1 affect metabolism of some others. You can find wich they are in a sample from Genovations/Detoxigenomics downloded by @caledonia and presented in her signature. This will give you a lot of invaluable information before you start medications.

I think your friend is quite right and that you are wise that study your genomics carefully, and all that is connected, before Lyme treatment. /Best

Last edited: Jun 10, 2014
    whodathunkit and abporter like this.
  3. abporter

abporter

Austin, TX
    Thanks Helen! Yes, I definitely have a problem tolerating alcohol, so I wonder if I even need to take and pay for the test, ~$325. I don't know either if it would tell me how much of what I should take concerning B12 and/or methylfolate. Perhaps I should just start with one of the simplified methylation protocols listed in @caledonia's signature?

4. Helen

Helen Senior Member

The test doesn´t tell how much you will need of the supplements, it is an individual trial and error. Genetics versus gene expression...Yes, it should be OK to try a methylation protocol.

Don´t forget about the detox SNP´s. In my opinion (based on published studies and personal contact with researchers) they have been underestimated as cause for sickness and health problems. I have many of them myself and have learnt a lot the hard way, that got explained later by gene tests.

abporter likes this.
  5. Thinktank

Thinktank Senior Member

Europe + South East Asia
    Another lab that checks methylation status is the European lab of nutrients, they have a daughter company somewhere in the USA. I'm planning to do the test myself within a few months, or at least i hope to so do if finds allow it. I will share my labreslults.

abporter likes this.
  6. PeterPositive

PeterPositive Senior Member

I have done the same test too, and I am waiting for the results. Will let you know how bad they are :nervous: :)

abporter likes this.
  7. Sushi

Sushi Moderator and Senior Member Albuquerque

Albuquerque
    The US "daughter lab" is the one that Helen linked: Health Diagnostics. I did two methylation panels with them a year apart to check progress--there was a lot of progress!

Sushi

Valentijn, Thinktank and abporter like this.
  8. ahmo

ahmo Senior Member

Northcoast NSW, Australia
    @abporter My genetic profile looks pretty similar to you. I've been working on my methylation pathway and detoxxing over the last 2 years, have transformed my health. The one thing that stands out to me is your MAO++. this might predispose you to having histamine issues, which I found exacerbated as I was detoxxing.Your CBS might indicate that you'll need to be prepared for the ammonia generated during detox. I found these things very manageable once I knew what I was dealing with.

I've done very little testing. However, after my 23andme testing, I was considering the Yasko suggestions, and did test for heavy metals and another, Genova Organix. I had intended to get organic acids, but mistakenly ordered Organix, which showed I had SIBO, bacteria in my gut.

In retrospect, even these 2 tests were of questionable value. Of course I had toxic metals, even if I didn't know that aluminium was the highest. And of course I had a bacterial overload, we all do.

I've proceeded by using GAPS diet, mostly Klinghardt's detox suggestions, and Freddd's Protocol for folate/B12.

Here are some links to Dietrich Klinghardt's work. the vid is really excellent. cheers, ahmo

Klinghardt: Autism, Lyme, Pyroluria

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=-z3kRDYcvhA

Short Version (36pg) Pyroluria/Lyme protocol. From Powerpoint doc used during Klinghardt presentation: Lyme Induced Autism

http://www.lymeinducedautism.com/images/1_KlinghardtKPU_09_PX.pdf

A Treatment Guide: Lyme and Other Chronic Infections (92 pgs) D. Klinghardt MD, 2009

http://www.klinghardtacademy.com/images/stories/powerpoints/treatinglyme 2010.pdf

abporter likes this.
  9. Thinktank

Thinktank Senior Member

Europe + South East Asia
    I see, didn't know that. How long does it take for them to deliver the labresult?

10. Helen

Helen Senior Member

It took 4-6 weeks when I had two tests some years ago (at the US lab).

As @Sushi wrote the labs in Europe and in US are connected, sister companies maybe? When I had the tests the US lab had one more analyze of importance for the same prize as the European had. I don´t know how it is today.

The head of the US lab put the panel together and validated it. They also patented a substance that works as a preservative to make it possible to transport the samples without spoiling them for I think the analyzes of glutathione.

abporter likes this.
  11. Sushi

Sushi Moderator and Senior Member Albuquerque

Albuquerque
    I haven't used them for about 18 months. At that time it took a couple of months but they may be faster now. With the surge in requests for the methylation panel and for nagalase testing they were overwhelmed for a while.

Sushi

See more popular forum discussions.