• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

How do you keep your body warm during winter?

I hate the colder half of the year.

When I feel cold for a few minutes, if I don't get a heat source fast, I start getting fever and bad symptoms, making me feel even worse.

I used to use an electric heating pad, but this now triggers neuropathic pain (heat, mostly, but it can be uncomfortable and even prickly, especially when brought on by the heating pad, and I was once told: "If you don't like it and want it to stop, that's pain." --when I was conflicted about reporting stuff as "pain" at physical therapy, because it was uncomfortable but didn't fit my definition of pain)

I get an uncomfortable sensation from electric heating pads too. Battery operated seems ok so far. I hope so, because the other types don't last long enough for me.

Also that is interesting about pain definitions. I am lousy at reporting pain and other symptoms because of having them so long and they are all different.

I keep the air warm as breathing cold air isn't good I don't think.

I keep reading it's healthier to breathe cooler air at night (and perhaps other times). I can't tolerate it.

eafw

Covering the back of the neck and head helps with heat loss, hooded sweatshirts are great for this. Thick socks, tuck your trousers into your socks, (not just stopping radiative loss, but convection, ie eliminating draughts here). Fingerless gloves, sleeveless body warmers.

Hot drinks will warm you up from the inside, even if you drink hot water rather than cold it can make a difference.

Heat pads or infrared heat lamps, if you can tolerate them (read the instructions etc etc)

JAM

Jill
I made a heat pack that I heat in the microwave. It is almost two feet wide and three feet long, and filled with popcorn that I soaked and dried in a 200 degree oven all day. The basic pattern was about the size of a pillow case with two center seams. I put about 1/3 cup of the dried popcorn in each section then sewed it closed just above the popcorn level, repeat until you reach the top. In my microwave it takes about 3 min to heat it up and it stays warm for at least an hour, almost 5 hrs under the blankets in bed at night. I've also made them with rice, and in different sizes. One of my favorites my husband made out of one of his old jeans.

I lived with one attached to my body every winter for several years, then my internal thermostat went haywire and I was hot all the time. Now I only use it on very cold nights.

MeSci

ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6?
Thermal socks are brilliant, but they're very thick, so you may need shoes or boots that are a size larger than usual! I picked up a brand new pair of thermal socks cheap in a charity shop last week. I wear thermal socks with roomy padded trainers that are adjustable with velcro (also from a charity shop, like most of my clothing). :):) (that's one smile for each foot!).

brenda

My flat has been getting cold recently, as the one down below has been unoccupied till later on this week. It was down to 15 degrees C in the living room first thing so I took some steps to improve the situation, and the first thing was to close my curtains at dusk. They have been lined with fleece and it makes a huge difference. I bought it online and attached it to the curtains which are already lined. Then I shut off the ventilation strips and covered the extractor fan in the kitchen which is facing north and lets the cold in.

Much better. It is now up to 17.5 C and higher for the rest of the day, so I can leave off the heating for a bit longer but only have to use it in the morning when the flat below is occupied even on very cold days. Last winter I put bubble wrap on the kitchen window and it made a big difference. I may not have to do it this year as it is an old man moving in and he will hopefully have his heating on all day.

Some other tricks to improve temperature are, when boiling a pan of water, don't tip it down the sink but leave it to cool with a lid on. It stays warm for ages. A candle or two burning makes the room a little warmer. I have a wool blanket over my duvet and it makes a big difference. A dehumidifier will make the room feel warmer as it removes moisture.

undcvr

take baths often if u don't have to pay for the water bill ... just sit and soak for 20 min

IreneF

I seem to be doing what everyone else does.

My cat is a little furnace.

I have a huge down comforter. It has a man under it at night. He's warm.

You can buy washable wool socks that are not scratchy, or try rinsing them with some hair conditioner. Hand knit is best, but I don't know when I'll be able to knit again. You can also get silk sock liners, or wear two pairs of socks.

I had a space heater I could move from room to room, but it broke, so I have to find a new one.

Mitts help somewhat.

Hot drinks. Hats. Shawls, blankets, etc.

MeSci

ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6?
You can buy washable wool socks that are not scratchy, or try rinsing them with some hair conditioner. Hand knit is best, but I don't know when I'll be able to knit again. You can also get silk sock liners, or wear two pairs of socks.

I'm allergic to wool. In the coldest weather I wear three pairs of socks, including a thermal pair, and warm lined boots over them. I wear longjohns/jogging trousers/similar under a thick pair of outer trousers, and a warm skirt over the top. For my upper half I wear two T-shirts, 2 jumpers/sweaters (one or both made of fleecy material), then a lined, quilted waistcoat, then a fleece cagoule/hoodie over that. And all topped off with a woolly hat!

I look a bit like this except that he isn't wearing a woolly hat!

But then, one year my house was so cold that even my fridge-freezer wouldn't work. That's the luxurious lifestyle that ME gave me.

At least I can afford some heating now, thanks to small occupational pensions maturing.

Gondwanaland

I have an electric mattress pad for over 10 years now and can't sleep without it since I go to bed much earlier than DH. I have it on my bed from early fall through middle spring.

Sometimes having the cat at my feet isn't enough, then I have to add an electrical heating pad over my feet (kitty loves it too :cat:).

Must remember to turn off all of the electrical devices before falling asleep b/c later come the the night sweats (histamine, thyroid and early menopause). :ill:

During winter I love to have soup for dinner and usually add ginger or turmeric for their heating properties.

A chamomille tea after dinner is also nice even during summer since is also helps w/ histamines.
bth_coffee-drink-smiley.gif

izzy