1. Patients launch a $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Never Ask Us if We're Hungry -- The Answer's Always No
There are three of us here and for many years, none of us ever got hungry. When our brains would turn to mush, when our faces would go numb, and we would start the invisible vibration which is the signature dance of ME/CFS, we knew we needed to eat.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

How Do You Handle the Summer?

Discussion in 'Phoenix Rising Articles' started by Mark, Jul 4, 2013.

1. Jody

Jody Senior Member

Canada

SOC.

I don't know where I'd be without vitamin D supplements. Well, I do have a fair idea where I'd be. On my face, 9 months of the year.
    SOC likes this.
  2. rosie26

rosie26 Senior Member

NZ
    Jody

ha ha well you never know, you might make it one day :)
    Jody likes this.
  3. Sean

Sean Senior Member

Hot humid weather is the worst for me. Which makes living in the monsoon tropics a problem. Hence air conditioning for about 6 months of the year.

Cool-warm, dry-ish weather is best for me.

I get SAD during the long overcast monsoon spells during the rainy season. Going to try light therapy next season, I think.
  4. rosie26

rosie26 Senior Member

NZ
    Misfit Toy

I have struggled with SAD too, big time. Hate being shut up indoors all the time.

Even in my severe years I would feebly go for walks outside, it helped to have someone walk with me. It made me feel more secure, as so dizzy and out of balance. I appreciate flowers a lot more now, they do cheer. x
    Misfit Toy likes this.
  5. Misfit Toy

Misfit Toy Senior Member

SAD is a hard one. The lamp didn't work for me. It has to be sun. In your face, sun. The light for SAD actually hurt my eyes and I felt anxious. It's not the same. I am on 5,000 IU of Vitamin D. Perhaps I need to go to 10,000. I know my doc keeps saying how low it is. Again, hormones and the beginning of the change. ; /
    rosie26 likes this.
  6. Jody

Jody Senior Member

Canada

Sean,

I can't imagine what it would be like handling tropical weather with this thing.

I have read about light therapy, and apparently some people have good results from it. Good luck!
    Sean likes this.
  7. Jody

Jody Senior Member

Canada

Misfit Toy,

I started out on 5,000 IUs and found that it helped somewhat. I increased by 1,000 IUs at a time, and for me, 8,000 IUs helped alot. But 10,000 made the biggest difference. If your doctor is telling you it's low, then an increase might make a real difference.
    Misfit Toy likes this.
  8. peggy-sue

peggy-sue

Scotland
    What is summer?
    What is air conditioning?
    ;)
    justy, SOC and Misfit Toy like this.
  9. Jody

Jody Senior Member

Canada

Peggy-Sue,

I notice under your avatar, it says you're from Scotland. That being the case, perhaps no definition or description would help you to envision what summer is like. Or any reason to need air conditioning.:)
  10. peggy-sue

peggy-sue

Scotland
    I've just been wondering Jody... it is good to find out what life is like from different perspectives though.
    I've always believed strongly in cross-cultural research - the only way to exclude a cultural bias from a biological investigation. :lol:
  11. Jody

Jody Senior Member

Canada

Peggy-Sue,

You've found a good place to do that, here. In this thread alone, we've got people in the tropics, in Arizona and New Mexico, in southwestern Ontario, and New Zealand (their weather is VERY different during our summer) just looking at people's avators in the thread. None of them are indicating a climate I'd like to live in. Give me gentle temps without humidity anytime.

My mother-in-law was from Scotland, I've always been fascinated with the place. Not sure I could hack the weather though.
  12. peggy-sue

peggy-sue

Scotland
    This is the most cross-cultural forum I'm on Jody.
    (but I do have very limited "existence" in a microscopicically small section of the internet).

(shoving my research-y hat on again)
    One has to remember that some things do co-evolve, they still cannot be considered to be proven biological on the basis of being in all cultures.
    There's been an interesting historical programme on here, about all the culture "bequeathed to humanity" by the ancient Greeks. The narrator seems to think they, and they alone are responsible for theatre. The Chinese invented theatre too.

Jody, it's not the weather you need to worry about here. It's the midges. Thankfully, mostly on the other side from me!
    ps. Did you know that Canada and Scotland belong to the same original land mass?
  13. MeSci

MeSci ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6

Cornwall, UK
    I'm a bit concerned about one of the links given in the initial article - neurosymptoms.org. This is a psychoquackery site that I referred to in another recent posting.

Re summer, it makes me feel better as long as it isn't too hot. I bought a UVB lamp last year for winter use, as there is evidence that we absorb nutrients poorly from the gut, but I suspect that it wasn't enough to combat the lack of real sunshine. I don't know whether feeling worse in the winter is due to lack of Vitamin D for me - maybe. I don't get actual SAD, just don't feel as good physically. I wouldn't be surprised if sunshine gives us some as-yet-undiscovered benefits as well as Vitamin D. I certainly find that it lifts my mood, which isn't too bad generally but a bit better is welcome!

Hot weather saps my strength, makes me sweat buckets and my legs go weak and heavy.
  14. peggy-sue

peggy-sue

Scotland
    I get everything in your last statement too, MeSci. Yuk, isn't it?

You need to remember that it takes a whole load of effort for our bodies just to keep going and maintain homeostasis, including our body temperature. (we are known to have trouble with temperature regulation).

(80% of the calories consumed by a fit and well person who is of consistent "normal" weight goes to keep the body going - they only use 20% on daily activities, including keeping fit.)

So for us, extremes of temperature put a huge strain on our basic functioning.

Temperature seems to be the only area in life where I am actually fond of being temperate....:rolleyes:
  15. Jody

Jody Senior Member

Canada

Peggy-Sue,

Midges! I have heard of them. They sound awful.

I didn't know that about the original land mass. I just know you're alot further north than where I am in Ontario.
  16. rosie26

rosie26 Senior Member

NZ
    How are those of you coping with the heat in America ? I heard on the news about 3/4 nights ago about the terrible fires I think it was Nevada ? I don't know how you cope with those extreme temperatures.

The closest I have experienced is 45 degrees C. And that was about 35 years ago on my OE (overseas experience) in Australia. I was so hot, my feet were burning, skin felt like it was burning. I couldn't get off to sleep and had to go and wrap wet towels around me. But I can't believe I had to go to those measures. Wet towels !!! In bed !!
  17. HowToEscape?

HowToEscape? Senior Member

Thanks, I'm going to try that asap!
  18. Helle Nielsen

Helle Nielsen

I also feel a lot better in the summer, when I get a tan. But since vitamin D didn't help me, I wondered if it could be something else. I think it could be immune system regulation through Photoimmunology: http://followmeindenmark.blogspot.dk/2012/11/photoimmunology.html
    MeSci likes this.
  19. Desdinova

Desdinova Senior Member

USA
    For me the Heat of summer makes my symptoms intensify. Living in the South eastern US I used to love the summer used to love the heat. Folks used to ask how I could stand it being so hot with no air condition and often no fans turned on. I miss things being like that. Not to mention my power bill being a lot less.
  20. GracieJ

GracieJ Senior Member

Utah
    Summer used to be my enemy, for many years. I just wilted with the heat. Air conditioning meant more symptoms, probably with the boost in mold, unknown to me. Swimming pools meant chlorine, which wore me out, so forget swimming. I absolutely dreaded the end of May here in Utah, knowing I would not feel too good until about October. On the flip side, my winters were just as hard. If I got cold, I stayed cold... took hours to stop shivering. I often became ill around Thanksgiving or Christmas and stayed ill with colds/bronchitis then migraines, sometimes well into July...

It's a miracle we survive for years like this!

Happy to report -- a full summer last summer of NO HEAT INTOLERANCE whatsoever, and this year is looking the same. Love it!
    Sean, peggy-sue, MeSci and 2 others like this.

See more popular forum discussions.