• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

How do you get prescription drugs if you can't leave the house ?

ash0787

I had a repeat prescription since september for a beta blocker and an antidepressant, the doctor initially didn't seem to want me to be on them for very long but I couldn't get a proper answer as to why when I asked a different doctor, she just said like ' because you will become dependent on it ' its like so what, if it isn't harmful why does it matter if you depend on it ... so not sure about that.

Anyway we somehow broke the repeat prescription, I think my dad wrote the wrong thing and we ended up getting vitamin D instead so I ended up going down to the pharmacy on my electric chair thing and they directed me to the pharmacy inside the hospital itself who then sent the prescription back to the other one and I had to wait a few days and sent my dad to go get it ( even though I could actually see that the hospital pharmacy had the exact same drug but presumably in the 40mg variety because I looked around at the colours of all the boxes ). Those ones ran out again though so now I have to do that process again so I went there today on the chair but the hospital was 'closed for staff training, emergency only'.

I had an idea a few weeks ago, how about certain companies could sell the drugs via mail order / online etc
if the NHS gives them a license to sell that particular drug, either with or without a prescription or some sort of access code given by the GP, whatever, I don't see why these particular drugs even need to be restricted when they don't seem to be dangerous when taken within the guidelines or require periodic monitoring ( unless the other doctor did not tell me the truth about these particular drugs ). I'm starting to empathize with the people that want to legalize marijuana etc

So I searched on Google and I found out that this system already exists, except when I tried to register for it it said that my particular hospital does not provide the electronic prescription service needed ... its a town of about 20 thousand population.

Maybe why this is an example of why the NHS is having problems with budget etc, the process just seems inefficient overall and requiring more appointments to speak to the doctor than seems necessary.

perhaps @charles shepherd would know more about this ?

charles shepherd

It's difficult to give you a clear answer here as to whether your doctor is right or wrong about how long you should be taking these two drugs - because I just don't know why you have been prescribed beta blockers and antidepressants

Are the beta blockers being used in relation to palpitations?

Are you taking antidepessants for depression?

Or is this a low dose of a tricyclic antidepressant for pain or sleep management?

Whatever - I think the first thing to do is to either visit (if you can) or ask for a telephone consultation (most GPs are willing to do so) with the doctor who initiated the treatment - so you can be clear as to whether repeat prescriptions are still acceptable. And if not, why not…...

And even if you are on a repeat prescription, there should be some form of regular drug monitoring taking place - either by your GP or your pharmacist

Whilst it may be possible to obtain prescription only drugs (which both of these are) on the internet from abroad, this is NOT a course of action that I would recommend because:

(a) nobody will be monitoring your treatment

(b) unless the drugs are being obtained from a recognised internet pharmacy they may not be effective or safe

(c) you could be breaking the law

CS

Invisible Woman

This won't answer most of your question but....

If you have a repeat prescription my local village pharmacy has a service that will automatically send in the new request and make up the prescription.

They also have a delivery service for patients who are housebound.

It's worth checking the services that your local pharmacy can provide, either online or by giving them a ring.

I get prescription medications prescribed by my doctor delivered by Boots, and I think other pharmacies have the same service.

I had to go in to Boots once at the start to sign up for the service, I think.

Our GP practice has a dedicated phone number to ask for repeat prescriptions, and I think they may also do this on-line.

Repeat prescriptions don't go on for ever, you have to see or have a phone consultation with a GP every 6 months, I think, though that probably depends on what the doctor specifies.

I just ask the GP to put the prescription in the Boots delivery system, and the stuff arrives within a week. There has to be someone here to sign for it.

ash0787

It's difficult to give you a clear answer here as to whether your doctor is right or wrong about how long you should be taking these two drugs - because I just don't know why you have been prescribed beta blockers and antidepressants

Are the beta blockers being used in relation to palpitations?

Are you taking antidepessants for depression?

Or is this a low dose of a tricyclic antidepressant for pain or sleep management?

Whatever - I think the first thing to do is to either visit (if you can) or ask for a telephone consultation (most GPs are willing to do so) with the doctor who initiated the treatment - so you can be clear as to whether repeat prescriptions are still acceptable. And if not, why not…...

And even if you are on a repeat prescription, there should be some form of regular drug monitoring taking place - either by your GP or your pharmacist

Whilst it may be possible to obtain prescription only drugs (which both of these are) on the internet from abroad, this is NOT a course of action that I would recommend because:

(a) nobody will be monitoring your treatment

(b) unless the drugs are being obtained from a recognised internet pharmacy they may not be effective or safe

(c) you could be breaking the law

CS

both initially for minor panic attacks that I was starting to get as a result of CFS symptoms stacking up,
I noticed the propranalol particularly was useful for pacing and dealing with the restlessness, increased heart rate, anxiety etc that comes with some types of crash and in general it seems to improve pacing. The doctor that gave these drugs to me seemed to be relatively familiar with CFS so perhaps he was able to make a good guess that these particular ones would be effective.

I think I have tried to get telephone appointments before and if I remember correctly they said it would take 2 or 3 weeks and it ended up being faster to just go there in person.

Last edited:

ash0787

seems like good advice but knowing what the UK is like they very tightly restrict anything that goes against the governments will or threatens law abiding companies business so most likely the only 'prescription free' suppliers you will find will be the fake or very untrustworthy ones, probably criminal gangs and high prices for out of date or poor quality non branded drugs.

Its fairly obvious that I do need the drugs because I'm starting to get persistent minor light sensitivity / afterimages which is a sign I am not resting / recovering properly following overexertion.

Hip

seems like good advice but knowing what the UK is like they very tightly restrict anything that goes against the governments will or threatens law abiding companies business

The very opposite: the UK is in fact one of the most lenient and tolerant countries when it comes to allowing importing of pharmaceuticals from overseas pharmacies. In other European countries, they are confiscated by customs. In the UK, they allow them through. There are dodgy overseas pharmacies out there, but also ones that have been in business for over a decade, and have proven reliable.

Last edited:

ash0787

interesting, I imagine the delivery times might make it unviable though unless you plan in advance,
I might ask about that, possibly seeing a doctor on monday, which I wish would come sooner
probably should have sorted this out before the drugs ran out but some weeks I just dont feel like going outside or diverting time and energy into certain things if that makes sense.

I think the word I was looking for was sedative effect, it makes me able to just sit perfectly still for long period without feeling jittery, overexcited, constantly feeling twitches and muscle movements in my legs etc or getting that sort of nervous energy that makes you grind your teeth,
but at the same time it doesn't make me fall asleep, and doesn't seem to negatively drop my blood pressure too much as to cause faintness when standing. Surprised more people dont take it but then I guess you wouldn't neccesarily think of doing so when that class of drugs is usually used to treat heart disease, extreme anxiety etc