• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

How Do You Get Away From The Mold??

So I recently found mold visibly growing in my parents home (I'm in my 20s, disabled have to live w/ someone cause I can't take care of myself). At first I tried cleaning it myself, really bad mistake BTW, you guys don't have to tell me that.

In the house there was green mold on the back of the dressers and part of it on the walls. Grey mold growing around the windows, and some white? mold on the wall behind my bed. At least, I think it was mold. There was a little water damage in my bathroom do to the overflowing drain that leaked water into the wall (not quite sure how that works). Soon thereafter there was a musty smell whenever the shower was turned on. I rarely bathe in there, but the wall adjoins my bedroom (which is where I found all this visibly growing mold anyway).

Parents are very hostile about all of this, tried cleaning up the visible mold with bleach to 'fix' the problem. Doctors want me to do ERMI and I'm just waiting for funds to come in to do it. All the advice I've gotten says to "get out of there!" But how can I?

I tried calling some family but it turns out they have visible mold and water damage too. What do I do? Where do I go? Is there any kind of safe house for moldies to detox in? I feel so hopeless and at the end of my options.

-T