• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

How do we treat severe insomnia for cfs/me

Hi Calathea, gabapentin ( aka nuerontin) is known for having a withdrawal in the benzo community. They nicknamed it new rotten because of it. It's also common as you experienced, not being told. I'm sorry about that. I'm glad you found that info helpful.

As far as you questioning, drugs to sleep with lessor known withdrawal, doctors educated in benzos and z-drugs usually go to, 2nd generation anti histamines like Atarax and Vistaril. They used to be used for people that had anxiety and/or insomnia. Stronger than benadryl and gravol etc. No dependency. They got weeded out once benzos and z-drugs were marketed, and the dependency those caused kept people on resulting in making more money.

Antihistamine drugs like Atarax work by blocking the H2 Receptors, and thus work like an Anti-Acid. You really DON'T DON'T DON'T want to take Atarax and other H2 blockers everyday. Anti-Acids are the number one cause of vitamin and mineral deficiency in this day and age.

Not only that, but Stomach Acid protects you from parasites and overgrowth of nasty bacteria. Guess what happens when you don't have enough Stomach Acid due to antihistamine drugs...

It happened to me. This is something not even doctors are aware of.