• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

How do we stop heart disease (Atherosclerosis, Arteriolosclerosis, Arteriosclerosis, calcification)

Gondwanaland

ind all your particular causes
The answer for me is easy then: all my hormones are out of whack Bingo ;)

Jokes apart, this was the most significant take on CVD I ever read.

All of his blog posts are fascinating, , never simplistic. There is so much knowledge from a GP who is fascinated by this subject - I have observed that many subjects are better explored by people who have NOT officially specialized in the area. Also a lot of study scrutinizing - RCTs and epidemiological alike. His posts are very long and I usually take 3 days to read one. Good thing he only publishes ~1x monthly. I highly recommend the reading of the earlier posts and the subscribing to get the updates on your email.

pamojja

Seems not that new:
Can these high-oleic oils replace high-oleic stalwarts like olive oil, mac nut oil, or avocado oil?
Definitely not.

One important lab-marker I forgot to mention at TYP is omega-3 content and 6 to 3 ratio.

And standard dose for fish-oil is calculating the EPA+DHA content of your omega3 supplement, and get about 3 g per day of that total EPA/DHA. 6g with high Lp(a), since in the clinical experience of Dr. Davis in 60% of his patients after 2-3 years that pulls it down. Though didn't worked for me. For me only normalization of DHEA and testosterone seems to accomplish the same.

Gondwanaland

Seems not that new:
Have you seen the info on Tocotrienol sources I posted before?
And standard dose for fish-oil is calculating the EPA+DHA content of your omega3 supplement, and get about 3 g per day of that total EPA/DHA. 6g with high Lp(a), since in the clinical experience of Dr. Davis in 60% of his patients after 2-3 years that pulls it down. Though didn't worked for me. For me only normalization of DHEA and testosterone seems to accomplish the same.
Interestingly there is so much Omega 3 I could take, and now I seem to be craving n-6 - just bought my 2nd bottle of toasted sesame oil yesterday. It does indeed seem to be all about hormones...
When I had high estrogen I seemed to crave avocados, but now they make me really ill.

pamojja

Have you seen the info on Tocotrienol sources I posted before?

The problem with oils containing tocotrienols is that you can't get a therapeutic dose, even if it would be all you drink all day long.

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/830034_3
(scroll down to the chapter about tocotrienols)

I seem to be craving n-6 - just bought my 2nd bottle of toasted sesame oil yesterday.

Could also get if from sesame seeds, with even more healthy constituents.

Last edited:

Gondwanaland

I use flax seeds, black sesame and nigella sativa seeds grind in my coffee grinder. Put in a muesli with all kind of nuts, cocoa, some blueberries, inulin and stevia extract.
I do not tolerate many of that :lol:

Blueberries are a big offender to me. Quercetin inhibits MAO (I am +/+ MAO-A), plus destroys B1, I feel a mess after eating them :ill:

My black tahini just arrived in the mail yesterday, it is a source of iron :cautious:

Flax lignans inhibit estrogen activity which is bad for me. However I bake a paleo bread which takes 1/4 cup of freshly ground flax, and I eat 1 slice of it daily with no detrimental effects (so it contains minute doses of flax).

Nuts: I eat them sparingly (mostly in my slice of paleo bread). I think they can inhibit taurine.

Cocoa: hava been craving it lately

Nigella: haven't tried that. I am afraid of stuff that increase insulin sensitivity/with hypogçycemiating power because I get seriously hypoglycemic from them. I have a SNP for low insulin output (sorry I didn't take note of its number and forgot where I read about that :bang-head: )

Inulin: have you ever read about the eefect of thiamin-deficient diets in animals? Birds get a weak neck from it, and I seem to be part bird because thiamin antagonists make my neck unable to hold my head straight :alien: I don't know why inulin causes that though :confused:

Stevia: I must steer clear of polyols (like avocados) they give me brain fog and malaise :rolleyes:

pamojja

I think they can inhibit taurine

Many things inhibit nutrient absorption. Also eating mostly plant-based food taurine will be lacking. I supplement for overcoming deficiencies.

I do not tolerate many of that :lol:

To you have anywhere a list of what dietary items you do tolerate? Also read somewhere you can't even tolerate supplemental vitamins. Is that really true? And what do you suspect to cause such wide-spread intolerances in your case?

Gondwanaland

Many things inhibit nutrient absorption. Also eating mostly plant-based food taurine will be lacking. I supplement for overcoming deficiencies.
Well in the case I mentioned some foods would inhibit endogenous Taurine synthesis, but I really don't know details about it (something to do with excess Molybdenum inhibiting sulfur pathways or whatever). I wish I could tolerate supplemental Taurine.
To you have anywhere a list of what dietary items you do tolerate? Also read somewhere you can't even tolerate supplemental vitamins. Is that really true? And what do you suspect to cause such wide-spread intolerances in your case?
Well autoimmunity seems to do crazy stuff in my system. Yes there is a lot of supplements I don't tolerate at all, others that seem miraculous at the 1st dose as a non-repeatable experience. Little by little some things seem to lift some blockages, but it requires a lot of experimentation with synergists, timing, dosages etc. For over a year now my customized B complex contains 1mg of each B vit - and the ones in microgram dosages (B7, B9 & B12) are below 100mcg.

My dietary intolerances are a moving target. I have to switch between different lists every now and then: oxalates, purines, salicylates, goitrogens, sulfites, amines, phenols etc. Right now I seem to be tolerating most nightshades and squashes/pumpkins, which usually cause me reactions, but can't eat bananas becuse I get symptoms of B2 deficiency. Coconut oil causes me lymphopenia... Soy causes leaky gut, from grains I can tolerate rice and teff, so there doesn't seem to have a logic... I find out as I go...

What I think is going on is blockage of several enzymes by glycation. Even though my HbA1C is usually only between 5.1 - 5.6% (ref. range < 5,7%), I think there is something like this 1 & 2 going on. I came to this conclusion after experimenting with an anti-glycation supplement which seemed to open up all blocked pathways. Of course I had to stop it because my body couldn't support all the newly generated energy. But I am carefully planning a 2nd round with it.

1) Chris Kresser's "Why Hemoglobin A1c Is Not a Reliable Marker"
2) Chris Masterjohn's " What Is Measuring Our Hba1c REALLY Telling Us About Our Blood Glucose and Diabetes Risk?"

prioris

Carbohydrate intake is most closely associated with CVD

https://drmalcolmkendrick.org/2017/02/15/what-causes-heart-disease-part-xxvi/
===================================
‘Salim Yusuf (born November 26, 1952) is an Indian-born Canadian physician, the Marion W. Burke Chair in Cardiovascular Disease at McMaster University Medical School and currently the President of the World Heart Federation, a world-renowned cardiologist and epidemiologist. In 2001, he published a landmark study that proved the benefits of clopidogrel in acute coronary syndrome without ST elevation.

Here, from Forbes magazine in 2012:

‘McMaster University’s Salim Yusuf has tied for second place in the annual ranking of the “hottest” scientific researchers, according to Thomson Reuter’s Science Watch. Yusuf was a co-author of 13 of the most cited papers in 2011. Only one other researcher, genomic pioneer Eric Lander of the Broad Institute of MIT, had more highly-cited papers than Yusuf.’1

On February the 12th he gave a presentation at a cardiology conference in Davos, Switzerland which can be seen on YouTube. In this presentation, he makes the following points:

1. Saturated fat does raise LDL, a bit, but has no effect on CVD – maybe slightly beneficial. Monounsaturated fats are slightly beneficial. Polyunsaturated fats are neutral.
  2. Carbohydrate intake is most closely associated with CVD
  3. Fruit and vegetable intake has little or no impact on CVD – nor does fish intake [He wonders where the five portions of fruit and vegetable intake recommendations actually came from]. Vegetables in particular have no benefit.
  4. Legumes – beans and suchlike – are beneficial.
  5. The recommendations on salt intake are completely wrong, and set far too low. For those who do not have high blood pressure, low salt intake increase mortality. On the other hand, high salt intake does no harm.
  6. He recommends higher potassium intake.
  7. He criticizes Ancel Keys and lauds Nina Teicholz [Author of big fat surprise].
Well, good for him. It seems to have taken him a long time to get there, but he did in the end. Of course, mainstream medicine will remain in shocked silence, so you will likely hear nothing of this in the mainstream media. But, hey, you get to see it here. Perhaps someone would like to send this presentation to the BHF and the AHA and ask them for a comment?

==================================================

prioris

ChrissKresser
What blood sugar markers are reliable?

Testing accurately for blood sugar is like putting pieces of a puzzle together. Fasting blood glucose, A1c and post-meal blood sugar are all pieces of the puzzle. But post-meal blood glucose testing is by far the most reliable and accurate way to determine what’s happening with blood sugar, and the most sensitive way of predicting future diabetic complications and heart disease.
To put the most accurate picture together, I like to have all four: fasting blood glucose, A1c, post-meal glucose and fructosamine. But if I only had to choose one, it would definitely be post-meal glucose.

Gondwanaland

http://www.k-vitamins.com/index.php?page=My_Story
c.) Turns out vaccinations are not good, especially if one is taking high dose Vitamin C, as your immune system is basically resting, as the vitamin C is doing the “rat killing” along with the vitamin D and lysine. Inject yourself with something like a vaccine and your system goes “nuts” and attacks all sorts of organs. The adrenals, pituitary, testes, and the thyroid are really screwed up to this day. Why? Had to do with the production of MMP-2 and MMP-9. Could this be the clue to the suspicion that vaccinations are not at all that safe to some people?
Yes, I think I suffered damage from Yellow Fever vaccination 1 year before my blood clot but:
Potential mechanism for BCG vaccine reversal of type 1 diabetes & other autoimmune diseases

Gondwanaland

To put the most accurate picture together, I like to have all four: fasting blood glucose, A1c, post-meal glucose and fructosamine. But if I only had to choose one, it would definitely be post-meal glucose.
He should have mentioned insulin as well

pamojja

Low fat isn't one of TYP's strategies, since it didn't halt coronary calcium scores increase. Low-carb according to individual postprandial blood-glucose measurement is, since it did.

This study is worthless. The reason being because they relied on HbA1c as sole marker for 'value', while this article you linked to before explains, that non-diabetics have artificially higher HbA1c only because their red-blood cells life longer, and diabetics HbA1c will artificially lower, because their RBC die faster.

1) Chris Kresser's "Why Hemoglobin A1c Is Not a Reliable Marker"

This study, for example, shows that red blood cells live longer than average at normal blood sugars. Researchers found that the lifetime of hemoglobin cells of diabetics turned over in as few as 81 days, while they lived as long as 146 days in non-diabetics.

Personally am a good example of that. My average HbA1c of the last 8 years has been 5.1%. Calculated from my mean blood glucose (between fasting and postmeal) it actually should have been 5.7%.

In reverse, my actual mean blood glucose has been averaging at 117 mg/dl. Calculated from measured Hb1Ac it should have been 98 mg/dl. HbA1c alone could be quite misleading.

He should have mentioned insulin as well

Nothing beats cheap glucose-testing for singling out offending foods.

Last edited:

Gondwanaland

This study is worthless.
I imagine in the case of my husband who has a fasting insulin of 24, and lower HbA1C than me (my fasting insulin is 2 - 4), it would be completely worthless to measure his glucose since his pancreas seems to be able to secrete endless amounts of insulin. In his family they can get as fat as needed for protection (+ Gilbert's which is protective against CVD). My SIL is obese and doesn't understand why her husband who isn't fat got T2D.