• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

How do we stop heart disease (Atherosclerosis, Arteriolosclerosis, Arteriosclerosis, calcification)

Crux

Iron accumulation is associated with atherosclerosis. Here's an article that implicates iron over calcium as a potential destabilizer of arterial plaques :

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4101028/

Iron vs. Calcium in Atherosclerosis
Given that calcification is a prevalent component of atherosclerotic plaque plus the ease and high resolution of computed tomography (CT) for in vivo imaging of arterial calcification, calcium imaging has garnered widespread acceptance as a means for noninvasive atherosclerosis detection [81-83]. CT performs well in quantifying calcium even in the coronary arteries, and the coronary calcium score has consistently performed well in longitudinal studies of cardiovascular event risk [84, 85]. However, individual plaques have been shown to be more likely to cause events if they are noncalcified vs. calcified [86]. Rajendran et al. in a rabbit model of atherosclerosis offer some insight as to why iron vs. calcium may help explain this apparent paradox [87]. With meticulous mapping of plaque sections using various ion beam techniques, they found an inverse relationship in the distributions of iron and calcium. When interpreted in the context of observational studies in patients, these intriguing data suggest that calcium may defend against plaque destabilization by excluding intra-lesion iron that is more likely to contribute to event-producing plaque disruption.

Development of atherosclerosis is numbingly complicated. This article has blown my mind out.
http://atvb.ahajournals.org/content/37/4/e33.long

Gondwanaland

@Crux interestingly my husband has iron overload but no calcification problems. OTOH he has Gilbert's which is protective against CVD (low platelets among other issues)

Last edited:

Crux

@Gondwanaland ,

Calcium gets the blame, but it may just be caught at the scene, or, is used as a 'spackle' until the lesion heals.

Reading about genes and snps, along with what they may cause, protect, etc., is another mind blow for me.

Alvin2

The good news is patients don't die the bad news..
There is misinformation about Vitamin K2 in this thread but i'm not up to dealing with it.
That said there is also EDTA chelation available, i don't know much about it so if someone knows more please post.

prioris

There is misinformation about Vitamin K2 in this thread but i'm not up to dealing with it.
That said there is also EDTA chelation available, i don't know much about it so if someone knows more please post.

at some point when your feeling better, just give one or two sentence summary on misinformation.

i did put a pointer to the vitamin K2 thread sometime back

prioris

@Crux interestingly my husband has iron overload but no calcification problems. OTOH he has Gilbert's which is protective against CVD (low platelets among other issues)

Generally women have problem with too low iron levels
Generally men have problem with too high iron levels especially as they age

Crux

I can't seem to load the page, could you please post the full title?

RECENT HIGHLIGHTS OF ATVB
Linking Hemorrhage, Angiogenesis, Macrophages, and Iron Metabolism in Atherosclerotic Vascular Diseases
Liang Guo, Emanuel Harari, Renu Virmani, Aloke V. Finn
Download PDF
https://doi.org/10.1161/ATVBAHA.117.309045
Arteriosclerosis, Thrombosis, and Vascular Biology. 2017;37:e33-e39
Originally published March 22, 2017

Crux

Generally women have problem with too low iron levels
Generally men have problem with too high iron levels especially as they age

The issue with women having too low iron levels is usually not true iron deficiency anemia. If someone is consuming enough iron, then some other cause is possible.

Iron may be withheld by cells to decrease infection, or there could be a deficiency of , copper very likely, etc.

Postmenopausal women also accumulate iron, which is one reason they develop heart disease as do men.

Timaca

Saturated Fat Does Not Clog the Arteries: Coronary Heart Disease Is a Chronic Inflammatory Condition
This is actually an editorial published in the British Journal of Sports Medicine. But more than that, it is a systematic review and meta-analysis of a number of observational studies.2 Jumping right to its conclusion, the analysis showed no association, in healthy adults, between saturated fat consumption and:

• All-cause mortality
  • Coronary heart disease (CHD)
  • CHD mortality
  • Ischemic stroke
  • Type 2 diabetes
heart-attack_0.jpg
Essentially, the authors concluded that coronary artery disease pathogenesis and treatment "urgently require a paradigm shift." Despite popular belief among doctors and the public, the study categorically concluded that the conceptual model of dietary saturated fat clogging a pipe is just plain wrong. As cardiologist, Dr. Aseem Malholtra, one of the study's authors said in an interview, "One thing that's very clear when you look at the totality of the evidence: saturated fat does not clog the heart arteries. And sadly, for many years -- for decades, in fact -- this has been the primary focus of treatment of heart disease and public health advice."3

Similarly, in the secondary prevention of CHD, the authors observed that their meta-analysis revealed that there is no benefit from reduced fat, including saturated fat, on myocardial infarction (heart attacks), cardiovascular mortality, or all-cause mortality. And finally, as the researchers stated, it is instructive to note that in an angiographic study of postmenopausal women with CHD (one of the studies that the meta-analysis looked at), a greater intake of saturated fat was actually associated with less progression of atherosclerosis, whereas carbohydrate and polyunsaturated fat intake were associated with greater progression.4

According to the authors, the best predictor of heart disease risk involves a high total cholesterol (TC) to high-density lipoprotein (HDL) ratio, not low-density lipoprotein. You might want to read that sentence again. It's pretty much the opposite of what your doctor has been telling you for years. Instead, the researchers explained that dietary changes, such as replacing refined carbohydrates with healthful high-fat foods including olive oil and nuts, can significantly reduce the high TC to HDL ratio. The reason for getting rid of the refined carbohydrates, as cardiologist Dr. Michael Farkouh said, is that when the body becomes resistant to insulin, an inflammatory response is triggered. "What this editorial really brought to light was that your diet, if it's a diet rich in carbohydrates, can be associated with what's called insulin resistance. That allows your innate inflammatory process in the body to attack the vessel wall and start the process of hardening of the arteries."5

https://jonbarron.org/heart-health/new-information-saturated-fat#

Hi prioris~
I just listened to a talk yesterday by Dr. Neal Barnard about saturated fat. He does believe it is harmful, as does the past president of the American Academy of Cardiology, Dr. Kim Williams. In addition to saturated fats, refined carbohydrates are also harmful (they both stated) for heart health.

Here's a link to what Dr. Barnard says, if you are interested: http://www.pcrm.org/nbBlog/index.php/new-bmj-study-may-fuel-confusion-over-bad-fats

And one more about saturated fats being bad for health in general: http://www.pcrm.org/nbBlog/index.php/these-12-studies-show-saturated-fat-is-not-just-a-heart-hazard

Best,

pamojja

Low iron is beneficial , it reduces infection. Low iron may be one benefit of vegetarianism.

CVD is a multi-headed beast. Like a hydra, you chop of one head, the next raises its head. And there are still many more heads to raise.

Lowering iron and sat-fat just hasn't been any issue for me at all. Right the opposite. Since I've a very low fat vegan since 10 years of age and with an ideal ferretin all the time. Despite, at age 41 was still diagnosed a 80% blockage at my abdominal aorta. So excuse me, when I consider all this talk about these pet topics a bid moot. (Thereby not saying, that all the fat from industrially raised animals or a high ferritin couldn't contribute - in my case both just didn't apply, and still got arteriosclerosis of the worst kind). The causes along contributors are many.

First always comes an injury to the arteries, often just by wear and tear through older age. But any viral or bacterial infection will also do. Only then the multi-headed beast raises its head..

Therefore I post again the link to the story of one very seriously affected who, by doing all the detective work, was able to beat the beast and reversed his CAC score. For helping you guys start thinking out of the box and find your true contributors by analogy:

http://www.k-vitamins.com/index.php?page=My_Story

prioris

Hi prioris~
I just listened to a talk yesterday by Dr. Neal Barnard about saturated fat. He does believe it is harmful, as does the past president of the American Academy of Cardiology, Dr. Kim Williams. In addition to saturated fats, refined carbohydrates are also harmful (they both stated) for heart health.

Here's a link to what Dr. Barnard says, if you are interested: http://www.pcrm.org/nbBlog/index.php/new-bmj-study-may-fuel-confusion-over-bad-fats

And one more about saturated fats being bad for health in general: http://www.pcrm.org/nbBlog/index.php/these-12-studies-show-saturated-fat-is-not-just-a-heart-hazard

Best,

Perusing his other articles, that doctor pushes the same myths that should have died out a long time ago. So he is either not trustworthy or he is very naive.

where saturated fat is risky is when there is a fat metabolism dysfunction so it clogs up the liver e.g. fatty liver disease etc but that can be healed with Siliphos, PPC and Omega 3 oil. If the liver is impacted, so much other stuff in body like heart disease will be impacted. I do pay attention to how much saturated fat I am eating but I know how I can help my body process it and not clog up the liver.

Gondwanaland

My reading recommendation is www.drmalcolmkendrick.org
From today's post www.drmalcolmkendrick.org/2017/06/06/what-causes-heart-disease-part-xxx/
Agents designed to reduced inflammation all greatly increase the risk of CVD – from moderately to spectacularly*. Thus, whilst it is true that you can find inflammation within arteries where atherosclerosis is developing, this DOES NOT mean that the inflammation is causing the problem.

What you are seeing is the body trying to heal damage, and then getting cause and effect twisted through one hundred and eighty degrees.

Timaca

@prioris ~ That is good that you are paying attention to what you eat. I am definitely doing the same!

I don't think that Dr. Barnard is naive or untrustworthy. Dr. Kim Williams, an outstanding cardiologist with many credentials (one being the past president of the American College of Cardiology) also believes that sugar and saturated fats are very problematic for heart health. You can read one article here: http://mag.uchicago.edu/science-medicine/heal-thyself I just watched an hour long video within the last 30 days featuring Dr. Williams and he said the same thing.

The conclusion I've come to for my heart health is to eat primarily plants, low oil, some fish on occasion (no other animal protein) and whole foods.....nothing processed. I also have to watch the Glycemic Index of some foods or my lipid levels go askew. (Meaning I limit my intake of fruits, dried dates, and short grain brown rice). Eating this way gives me the best lipid labs and my cardiologist and I are happy.

I also have many food intolerances, which is annoying to say the least and I'm still trying to figure those out.

The only supplements I take are some vitamins and Manuka Honey. I will likely tinker with some probiotics or vinegar or something to improve the heartburn I get.

I hope you find the path that works for your health and your heart!

Best,