Review: 'Through the Shadowlands’ describes Julie Rehmeyer's ME/CFS Odyssey
I should note at the outset that this review is based on an audio version of the galleys and the epilogue from the finished work. Julie Rehmeyer sent me the final version as a PDF, but for some reason my text to voice software (Kurzweil) had issues with it. I understand that it is...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

How do we stop heart disease (Atherosclerosis, Arteriolosclerosis, Arteriosclerosis, calcification)

Discussion in 'General Treatment' started by prioris, May 9, 2017.

1. prioris

prioris Senior Member

he wasn't curing it. he's trying to bring more deeper understanding to exactly what diabetes is. my intuition says he is going down the right path with his thinking.

P.S. anyone got a link to a list of all the dietary approaches there are to reversing diabetes

2. Valentijn

Valentijn Senior Member

There's no indication that diabetes mellitus is reversible. Diet can control blood sugar levels, but if a diabetic tries to eat like a normal person, they'll end up with hyperglycemia again. At best, dietary interventions can help to prevent prediabetes from progressing to Type 2 in some people.

3. prioris

prioris Senior Member

there seems to be mountain of research and anecdotal reports that says otherwise

pamojja and Gondwanaland like this.
  4. Gondwanaland

Gondwanaland Senior Member

5. prioris

prioris Senior Member

pain is on both sides so probability it is not lesion. for you, it would likely be a red flag because of your history.

when it's the unknown and unfamilar, i always think, maybe this will be the thing that takes me out. i've gone thru that so many times. when we battle and survive something then come out the other end ok. it will make us stronger and more resourceful in the future. it's like we are gaining skill sets in healing. until we do come out ok, we just cross our fingers and hope for the best. i never had this before so i am getting an education. hope to graduate.

Crux and pamojja like this.
  6. Valentijn

Valentijn Senior Member

On the diabetes forums I was a member of, there were zero anecdotal accounts of diabetes reversal/cure. There was extremely dodgy research where mice were "cured" of what was actually transitory induced hyperglycemia (it wears off on its own), but never had anything resembling actual diabetes.

7. prioris

prioris Senior Member

interesting experience. i'll explore some forums eventually.

8. Crux

Crux Senior Member

USA
    You may only graduate if you take tests. You can order your own.

OK, I'll leave you to it, but I'm watching...

9. prioris

prioris Senior Member

P.S. I likely developed kidney disease from having the infection so long. I will use bicarbonate of soda and water to hopefully heal the kidney.

10. pamojja

pamojja Senior Member

Austria
    Had something somehow similar. At the beginning of my health journey posted my kidney function markers on-line. A doc replied that according to an on-line calculator would already classify for CKD stage1, without me being aware, or any of my docs pointing that out to me before. Then in 2012 had the whole year a chronic bronchitis, which sucked so much, that I left everything and went to South-India to the beach in an desperate attempt to heal it with Sea-air. The first month got already an annoying inner ear infection, the second month was better again, and at least that whole month was enjoying the beach. But then with the 3rd month, with a strong UTI, I basically had high fevers (guessing typhoid), diarrhea, nausea, vomiting and malaise for a whole month. Almost panicked at the end of that month, because would run out of money and could restock only 1400 miles in the north, but apparently totally unable to travel. Anyway, had no other choice, still feverish, I booked that travel 3 days ahead and hoped for the miracle. Wasn't in vain - after arriving there in the north my 1 month of fevers and malaise simply was gone, as if I had left it behind with that travel. Along with the 1 year long chronic bronchitis, and since that time my kidney marker have slightly improved (still fluctuating).

During all this time I was on my comprehensive supplement regimen (admittedly, a lot wasted by vomiting..). Due to the bronchitis increased for example ascorbic acid from my usual ~20 to 30 grams per day. And had also added heavy duty Ayurvedic herbals since my arrival in India (against all my various failing body system, of which the kidney is only one). Interestingly, at home I haven't had fevers for many decades.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2017
    prioris likes this.
  11. Eastman

Eastman Senior Member

More on the use of fiber for improving glucose response:

Soluble fibers from psyllium improve glycemic response and body weight among diabetes type 2 patients (randomized control trial)
    And from the discussion section:

I think fiber's effect on the gut microbiome probably also plays an important part.

12. pamojja

pamojja Senior Member

Austria
    Eastman and Gondwanaland like this.
  13. Gondwanaland

Crux likes this.
  14. pamojja

pamojja Senior Member

Austria
    Again, if your mortality is already greatly increased within the next decade due to acceleration of arteriosclerosis (measured via yearly CAC score) with the other downstream effects of low T3, the thesis of low T3 being possibly an indicator for life-extension seems a bid ..frivolous. Unless you don't have a CAC score to worry about.

Gondwanaland likes this.
  15. Gondwanaland

16. Gondwanaland

For those taking methylated supplements, don't forget the importance of niacin:
    Unfortunately I am intolerant to niacin supplementation, and am trying to optimize my Tryptophan breakdown to endogenous niacin production with B2, B6 and Biotin.

Little Bluestem, prioris and pamojja like this.
  17. Gondwanaland

I need to get an insulin assay... My TG is 74.

18. Gondwanaland

19. pamojja

pamojja Senior Member

Austria
    It's rather an opinion piece, isn't it? Without giving the actual ranges.

I contrarily got prediabetic with low freeT3s. Which, beside many other things is also is a marker for inflammation.

Take a couple of completely discreet studies, some supplemented some not, some with synthetic T4, some not, and make a generalized thesis appear like a fact.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2017
  20. Gondwanaland

I posted it because I experienced it myself. When I tried to up my hormone replacement I got a gout crisis. Gout has been linked with both hyper and hypothyroid, and oviously is a marker for excess circulating glucose since the body seems to prefer to excrete glucose before uric acid.

Now I have learned to recognize the symptoms of insulin/glycemia troubles my body gives me - I get a congested feeling and everything feels inflamed - but I think especially endothelium. A bit like taking coumadin, but without the relief of thinner blood :depressed:

See more popular forum discussions.