• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

How Do Patients and Clinicians Hear Each Other?

MeSci

ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6?
from Physicians' First Watch:

How Do Patients and Clinicians Hear Each Other?
By the Editors

Dr. Danielle Ofri, author and internist, is writing a book about how patients and clinicians hear each other, and you can hear a discussion with her on Clinical Conversations. She requests that you contact her if you can put her in touch with great diagnosticians (and maybe even their patients).

Dr. Ofri may be contacted at her website: http://click.jwatch.org/cts/click?q=227;68039029;IFbpFRJHofeUkz6kXUYxdepuPCMUquFoez9TpuLpOmg=.

Running time: 15 minutes

Link(s):
Clinical Conversations podcast (Free) http://click.jwatch.org/cts/click?q=227;68039029;IFbpFRJHofeUkz6kXUYxdRvTKTLfbjM6ez9TpuLpOmg=

I would guess that Dr Ofri wants to hear (mainly) from US citizens, but there is some very interesting-looking stuff at the first link that is relevant to all countries.

xchocoholic

Thanks for the link. I read several of her articles. I especially enjoyed "Our silence around dementia" and "Doctor priorities vs patient priorities". I could see me/cfs being substituted for dementia.

It seems she's interested in developing the doctor patient relationship more than I am. I see doctors as having info or meds that I need for my health.

The whole doctor / parental role imho is unnecessary and annoying. Maybe other patients want this ??? If I'm feeling sick I just want to be evaluated, get whatever and go back home. Or at least lay down. Or go to the bathroom if you catch my drift.

Also, I don't understand why doctors waste time going into details about tests or diseases to patients when that info is on the web. She was struggling with explaining the pros and cons of getting a mammogram. That's on the web. Just write the prescription and tell her to use it if she wants to.

Maybe they need software that allows them to click on reliable info for patients, not uptodate, and just give the patient the link. Personally, I'd like to see this on my doctors website so I know they agreed with it. Then have the link automatically printed out on a prescription pad or emailed to the patient. It's not like we understand this right away anyways. If we're feeling puny we're distracted by visions of the nearest bathroom or trashcan or place to lay down.

Ok. Time to be quiet. Tc .. x

Last edited:

MeSci

Thanks for the link. I read several of her articles. I especially enjoyed "Our silence around dementia" and "Doctor priorities vs patient priorities". I could see me/cfs being substituted for dementia.

It seems she's interested in developing the doctor patient relationship more than I am. I see doctors as having info or meds that I need for my health.

The whole doctor / parental role imho is unnecessary and annoying. Maybe other patients want this ??? If I'm feeling sick I just want to be evaluated, get whatever and go back home. Or at least lay down. Or go to the bathroom if you catch my drift.

Also, I don't understand why doctors waste time going into details about tests or diseases to patients when that info is on the web. She was struggling with explaining the pros and cons of getting a mammogram. That's on the web. Just write the prescription and tell her to use it if she wants to.

Maybe they need software that allows them to click on reliable info for patients, not uptodate, and just give the patient the link. Personally, I'd like to see this on my doctors website so I know they agreed with it. Then have the link automatically printed out on a prescription pad or emailed to the patient. It's not like we understand this right away anyways. If we're feeling puny we're distracted by visions of the nearest bathroom or trashcan or place to lay down.

Ok. Time to be quiet. Tc .. x

Not everyone uses the internet. Maybe they need to ask if people do or not.

Trouble with my current doctor is that he doesn't seem to be very internet-savvy himself. He doesn't even know how to access the local laboratory's document (the hospital lab where he sends samples) about how to interpret test results , and used Google to look one up!

xchocoholic

Not everyone uses the internet. Maybe they need to ask if people do or not.

Trouble with my current doctor is that he doesn't seem to be very internet-savvy himself. He doesn't even know how to access the local laboratory's document (the hospital lab where he sends samples) about how to interpret test results , and used Google to look one up!

Yikes. Your doctor is seriously out of touch. Most of my docs are using computers now.

I'm used to seeing people who use the web now for all kinds of info. Esp those younger than me. My kids grew up using them.

Tc .. x

Little Bluestem

All Good Things Must Come to an End
My doctor just print off anything she wants me to see from the internet and gives it to me.

MeSci

Yikes. Your doctor is seriously out of touch. Most of my docs are using computers now.

I'm used to seeing people who use the web now for all kinds of info. Esp those younger than me. My kids grew up using them.

Tc .. x

Mine is an oldie (like me, but unlike me hasn't familiarised himself with modern tech, it seems).

He may be non-techie, but in other ways he is better than the others I have seen. Still not great, but I've given up trying to find one who is as good as s/he should be. I rarely go to the doctor, largely for that reason. Waste of time and energy.