• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

How do I decrease cortisol?

Star-Anise

@dannybex
Hi there thanks for the info above, I'm looking for something to help lower my night-time cortisol that doesn't lead to higher acetylcholine. I'm not sure if that's possible for me right now. I don't know a lot about this process, other than what I am experientially observing. PS, & now Relora both seem to cause this rise in acetycholine in me, & I have ++irritability & insomnia, yet I do feel somewhat of a relaxing quality to it as well - almost produces a tired/wired feeling.
Anyway, I think the main thing for me, besides of course the interference with calcium, is the fact that solanine is an acetylcholinestrase inhibitor that impedes the transmission of nerve impulses from one synapse to the next by retarding the production of acetylcholinesterase (the enzyme that breaks down acetylcholine). Choline levels have been found to be high in a couple different studies of ME/CFS patients, and I know in my case that if I eat or take any supplement or food high in choline for more than 3 days, I get REALLY irritable and impatient, and my twitching and cramping gets worse.
Just curious if this means that acetylcholine will decrease or increase with solanine... I'm reading increase....
Thanks! S :)

dannybex

@dannybex
Hi there thanks for the info above, I'm looking for something to help lower my night-time cortisol that doesn't lead to higher acetylcholine. I'm not sure if that's possible for me right now. I don't know a lot about this process, other than what I am experientially observing. PS, & now Relora both seem to cause this rise in acetycholine in me, & I have ++irritability & insomnia, yet I do feel somewhat of a relaxing quality to it as well - almost produces a tired/wired feeling.

Just curious if this means that acetylcholine will decrease or increase with solanine... I'm reading increase....
Thanks! S :)

It will increase. At least that's my understanding. Also there's a study somewhere that showed b12 deficiency is linked to lower acetycholinesterase activity (that's the enzyme that breaks down acetylcholine).