Professor & patients' paper on the solvable biological challenge of ME/CFS: reader-friendly version
Simon McGrath provides a patient-friendly version of a peer-reviewed paper which highlights some of the most promising biomedical research on ME/CFS ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

How consecutive SNPs result in proteins

Discussion in 'Genetic Testing and SNPs' started by Valentijn, Nov 2, 2014.

1. Valentijn

Valentijn Senior Member

First the DNA (A,C,G,T) is transcribed into RNA (A,C,G,U). Then the RNA is translated into amino acids (cysteine, glutamate, glycine, tryptophan, serine, etc). And these amino acids then become proteins.

While the RNA is being translated, it's partitioned into sets of 3 consecutive SNPs, such as "AGG", which are called codons. Each codon results in a specific amino acid being created. "AGG", for example, would result in Arginine. Multiple codons can create the same amino acid. In addition to arginine being created from AGG, it can also be created from AGA, CGU, CGC, CGA, and CGG.

Here's a very nice diagram from https://openclipart.org/people/J_Alves/genetic_code_RNA.svg illustrating which amino acids are created from which codons:
    codons.gif

Anyhow, there's some more complicated aspects, but I thought this was interesting and wanted to have it somewhere that I can find it again :p

Critterina and ukxmrv like this.

See more popular forum discussions.