Review: 'Through the Shadowlands’ describes Julie Rehmeyer's ME/CFS Odyssey
I should note at the outset that this review is based on an audio version of the galleys and the epilogue from the finished work. Julie Rehmeyer sent me the final version as a PDF, but for some reason my text to voice software (Kurzweil) had issues with it. I understand that it is...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

How can we "stimulate" mTOR?

Discussion in 'General Treatment' started by Sushi, Mar 12, 2017.

1. Sushi

Sushi Senior Member Albuquerque

Albuquerque
    You're not a pain in the ass! Here is what is happening--they have changed their formula and my bottle (which is a few months old) as different amounts of the 3 ingredients. So, yes, I'm taking a quarter dose but it is different from your quarter dose--who knows why they changed.
    Thanks, it is good for all of us to know that they have changed their formulation. Hope it helps you. I am just guessing about doses though--what else can we do?

flitza and Sancar like this.
  2. energyoverload

energyoverload Senior Member

London
    @nandixon Did anyone contemplate the potential capacity of or Insulin or IGF-1 to augment mTORC1 activation in parallel to high dose L-leucine + L-arginine (I take >6 grams of leucine three times/D) via the PI3K/AKT pathway. Of course with this I am making the assumption that PI3K/AKT signalling is unimpaired in ME/CFS. Obviously this would not be a good long term strategy. But rather an approach to elucidate role of mTOR in ME. I read of someone trying intranasal insulin on phoenix for ME - there are some research on applications of this in old age cognitive decline and on Alzheimers.

Also has anyone been on metformin? In theory if mTOR is under activated, metformin could further worsen this inactivity, interfacing via AMPK.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3709085/

Disclaimer: Do not take any of this as medical advice.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2017
    Tunguska likes this.
  3. ukxmrv

ukxmrv Senior Member

London
    Metformin gave me a terrible stomach ache, an all over malaise (sorry don't have better word), body felt like a dead weight and all my energy felt sucked out of me. A more extreme version of the everyday ME type muscle weakness I feel

4. Tunguska

Tunguska Senior Member

For the record I ended up trying this with some 850nm LEDs on my neck/thyroid. I don't know if it was the pathway activation or thyroid itself acting up but it was strong enough that I had a mini crash for half a week from it. Maybe it hit lymph nodes or something I'm not aware of. It doesn't do anything for me unless it's on the neck.

I'm actually really impressed and plan on trying to use it in the winter (max 10min/day). The effect felt subjectively better than using two 100W red bulbs.

5. debored13

debored13 Senior Member

Vermont, school in Western MA
    hey can you show me where ray peat said this? not that i disbelieve you, just am curious. Like a lot of his work and correspond with him a little

6. EtherSpin

EtherSpin Senior Member

Melbourne , Australia
    Been on Metformin for a year in an attempt to aid intermittent fasting and general low calorie stuff at dropping my weight. Nothing happened and 6 months in I took a 3 week hiatus and out weight on without markedly changing diet so went back on it. Zero obvious decline or improvement but that can be tricky to gauge as I fluctuate without apparent rhyme or reason e.g. last summer my gardening failed, this summer I have my bean trellis and tomatoes going all round the house even though I'm still under the air conditioning on a couch with stacks of ice 80% of the day and will get a little better as I adjust to this heat.

Mel9 likes this.
  7. aaron_c

aaron_c Senior Member

I don't have the focus to read through this whole thread so apologies if this has already been covered:

Losartan increases mTOR expression in mice: "we observed a significant increase in the expression of phospho-Akt (pAkt), phospho-FoxO3a (pFoxO3a), phospho-mTOR (p-mTOR), and phospho–4E-BP1 (p4E-BP1) in the losartan-treated animals as compared to the placebo-treated animals."

8. Tunguska

Tunguska Senior Member

http://raypeat.com/articles/articles/caffeine.shtml
    The most important roles for uridine are only coming out recently (https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2017/03/170317131617.htm) so it's impossible that he knew very much about it, so I wouldn't hold him as an authority on it anyway.

debored13 likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.