New Atmosphere, New Vision: Gibson and Whittemore Kick Off Invest in ME Conference 2016
Mark Berry reports on Dr. Gibson's introduction and Dr. Whittemore's keynote speech, at the 11th Invest in ME International ME Conference in London.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

How can we "stimulate" mTOR?

Discussion in 'General Treatment' started by Sushi, Mar 12, 2017.

1. adreno

adreno PR activist

I have the Vielight 810:
    http://vielight.com/product/vielight-810/

Although I haven't used it that much, as you say it seems quite draining. Do you suppose treating only the brain (as opposed to peripheral) would have significant effects?

My worst symptom is orthostatic intolerance. Some think it's a brain stem problem, but I tend to believe more in antibodies against peripheral receptors.

2. Tunguska

Tunguska Senior Member

I heard you can apply it to the head and it works, but I don't have a real laser so I can't try. Time and money only thing in the way.

The draining could be due to increased glucose usage so some juice is called for (which makes even more sense now), but it's not always enough because it lingers afterward. A ROS scavenger like NAC etc. is prudent.

I don't have the orthostatic intolerance. Relatively speaking (since I also get drained by light), I'd assume you'd have more problems from nitric oxide from UV light and sunlight than from red light, but that's a poorly educated guess.

3. Tunguska

Tunguska Senior Member

I want to quote this from your study:

4. ScottTriGuy

ScottTriGuy Stop the harm. Start the research and treatment.

Toronto, Canada
    Tagging @Chris as he may have insight.

Tunguska likes this.
  5. adreno

adreno PR activist

The Vielight uses 810nm, very close to what's reported in the study to increase Akt.

However, seeing as the Vielight treats only the brain, will this even have a significant effect on metabolism, as ME is likely a bodywide problem?

6. Tunguska

Tunguska Senior Member

Oh yeah. From people's accounts, you have to apply the light to the rest of the body. It's a small device so I doubt you'll get far with it.

There were some accounts on the forum of people making infrared saunas.

7. eljefe19

eljefe19

Can any of the biochem heads out there read this paper I found and interpret?

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4207988/

It relates to @nandixon and the mTorC1 theory. I found some evidence that goes against an underactive mTorC1 and supports an overactive mTorC1 instead, based on the Fluge and Mella finding of upregulated PDK4.

Last edited: May 18, 2017
    Tunguska and Jesse2233 like this.
  8. eljefe19

eljefe19

Rapamycin mentioned in the above paper.

9. Tunguska

Tunguska Senior Member

Hey I'm sorry I just don't have enough time to go through it properly. But off the bat I don't think this will apply to us and also we might get really mislead by the cancer research because it is a specific condition of the cells after all.

10. Tunguska

Tunguska Senior Member

For something more tangible to this thread, I did try both intranasal insulin and methylene blue for the first time this week. But I haven't given them a good run.

That said the methylene blue (topical) is effective and it should be comparable to the infrared light, including on effects on Akt/mTorC1. Intranasal insulin is comparable to high dose ALA (that's how it feels, the brain effect specifically I mean) in its immediate brain effect and should lead to increased mTorC1 in the brain. It's neat but I preferred the methylene blue.

Aroa likes this.
  11. flitza

flitza Senior Member

What BCAA's are you using, and from what source? Side effects?

12. flitza

flitza Senior Member

Having difficulty finding Cimetidine in 50mg size. Where do you get it?

13. Sushi

Sushi Senior Member Albuquerque

Albuquerque
    I'm taking the NOW brand powdered BCAAs. No side effects, but I am taking a low dose.

Sancar and flitza like this.
  14. flitza

flitza Senior Member

Thanks. Just ordered it.

15. flitza

flitza Senior Member

I thought you said 1200mg. Is that low?

16. Sushi

Albuquerque
    I don't remember saying that, but who knows! :cool:I am taking about 600 mg of Leucine, 300 mg of Isoleucine, and about 300 mg of Valine. But I'm also taking several thousand mg of Taurine.

Sancar, Aroa and flitza like this.
  17. flitza

flitza Senior Member

It was in this thread on March 12, but no matter. I the above are from a measured amount of the NOW BCAA preparation. I was just trying to figure out what dose to start with. I'm really sensitive to stuff.

18. Learner1

Learner1 Professional Patient

Pacific Northwest
    A standard dose for healthy people is 1200mg leucine, 600mg isoleucine, and 600mg valine, in a 2:1:1 ratio. That's in a 3 capsule serving, which is typical.

I take it with no problems. I break up the capsules and put them with a scoop of Seeking Health Optimal Creatine and a half scoop of KetoCaNa in my water bottle and drink it while exercising. It helps me have more stamina to exercise and helps me to recover.

If you're sensitive, try 1/2 a capsule, and work your way up to the full dose. I also check with a Genova Diagnostics NutrEval test periodically... I used to be deficient in all of them, but am low normal now.

19. Sushi

Albuquerque
    Thanks, since the NOW brand doesn't give doses for the total BCAAs, but gives them each separately, I must have been adding up all three to get that number. I haven't been consistent with dosing but that dose didn't bother me. I usually start with about 1/4 of the recommended dose of anything to "test the waters" and then go up if I don't have problems.

flitza likes this.
  20. flitza

flitza Senior Member

Hey, I don't want to be a pain in the a-- or anywhere else, especially since you're trying to stave off PEM right now, but my NOW BCAA powder came today and the usual dosage (on the label for 2 tsp) provides2,00mg leucine,1,100mg Isoleucine and 1,100 mg Valine which doesn't jive with your dosage of 600mg Leucine etc., etc. as in your post.

Using your tip about starting at 1/4 of the recommended, I took 1/2 tsp of the stuff today.
    You seem to strive for accuracy in your posts (which I find very helpful, btw) so I thought I'd let you know.

See more popular forum discussions.