• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

how can I stay in aerobic zone of exercise without knowing when anaerobic is kicking in?

eafw

I have a wrist heartrate monitor and my activities tend to be manual (e.g. gardening) when the monitor gets in the way

Do all monitors get activated by mistake

Is the Alpha Mio a wrist-only monitor?

I have an Alpha Mio and wear it round my ankle. It works well and for me is much more comfortable and unobtrusive there. You don't even need to fasten the strap, tucked into a sock it will stay put, but I punched some extra holes and fasten it anyway.

They claim to be as good as a chest strap, and the buttons are on the edges so not easy to activate by mistake.

So it gives a continuous reading all day like an oximeter would or do you have to tap it to see what your bpm are?

You can set alarms on it, or link it up to an app on a smartphone. I use an app which gives a continuous chart and readout, linked to an ipod touch. If you like you can also download the data onto a computer and process it further.

SOC

Does anyone know anything about the Mio Fuse? I see it doesn't have a sound alarm, but I think the the vibration alarm, especially in a work environment, would be fine -- if not advantageous. I like the all day activity tracking feature. My first HR monitor had (estimated) "calorie" tracking which I found very useful for staying within my energy envelope.

Once I figured out how many "calories" I could safely use in a day, I used it to pace myself during the day. If I used a lot of my total in the morning, for example, I knew I had to take it easy in the afternoon. Having that objective data prevented me from ignoring when I was doing too much because I really wanted to do something and surely it didn't take that much energy. ;)

Maybe some people are better at managing themselves than I am, but I always want to do more than my body can actually do, so even when I try to pace properly, I can't be as objective as I need to be. Having the data I can't deny gives me a way to rein myself in when I badly want to do too much.

eafw

Does anyone know anything about the Mio Fuse?

The Mio customer service has a good helpline, based in Canada I think, and they will talk you through. I had considered the Fuse but can't remember why it wasn't suitable in the end.

They also have reconditioned units for sale sometimes, mine was £118 instead of £149. Not cheap but still a saving.

Calathea

I'm too tired to read the whole thread, but I have a Fitbit Charge HR, and even though it is a bit buggy (buy from somewhere with a good returns policy), it is great for pacing. First of all, it's counting steps. You set your "goal", which for us is more of an upper limit, and it buzzes when you get there. So if that generally happens late in the evening if at all, and one day it happens at lunchtime, you know to scale things back and start resting. You can also look at your charts, and if you notice that you have been doing a lot more over the last few days, build more rest time in.

Secondly, the HR function is brilliant. When I am performing my pouncing duties with the cat (my version of short, intensive exercise, and probably the closest to aerobic exercise that I get), I keep checking my HR, and if it goes to the 90s, I stop. When I am building up to have a shower, which is the most exhausting thing for me generally, I keep checking my HR, and if it is 90s or above, I stop and rest a bit. I have set my date of birth on Fitbit as 1900, so it has correspondingly lower target ranges for HR. This is just what works for me personally, it depends on what your HR tends to do, but it doesn't take long to get a sense of what works for you.

Dr.Patient

There is no kinship like the one we share!
Yes, it stores the alarm thresholds, so I don't have to reset it. If I want alarms to go off, I just push the right button again, but briefly, and they'll start flashing and beeping when I get too high or too low.
Hi, I just got my mio alpha. I set my upper and lower limits. How do you set the second set of upper and lower limits, thanks.

@MeSci thanks for the info. Do you receive email alerts advising of a reply to a posting? I'm not - sorry it took me so long to get back to you.

MeSci

ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6?
@MeSci thanks for the info. Do you receive email alerts advising of a reply to a posting? I'm not - sorry it took me so long to get back to you.

You only get notifications if you post a message in a thread or click 'watch this thread' and select the option to receive notifications. I'm not sure why you haven't had an email alert as you have posted a message. Does it say at the top of the thread that you are watching it, i.e. does it say 'watch thread' or 'unwatch thread'? It should say one or the other.

AndyPandy

Making the most of it
@Dr.Patient how are you going with your Mio Alpha? I am thinking of getting one.

@Kyla did you find a monitor that didn't cause problems with your nickel allergy? I get rashes from nickel.

Best wishes, Andy

SOC

FYI, my daughter is loving her MIO Fuse so far. It seems to be reading accurately even when it's not in direct contact with her skin. She wears it loose enough that I can see air between her skin and the Fuse. You could easily put a finger (or two) between the Fuse and her wrist -- and it still reads.

The Fuse sends real-time data to her Android phone, so she can watch her HR on her phone with the display on the Fuse off.

Kyla

ᴀɴɴɪᴇ ɢꜱᴀᴍᴩᴇʟ
@Dr.Patient how are you going with your Mio Alpha? I am thinking of getting one.

@Kyla did you find a monitor that didn't cause problems with your nickel allergy? I get rashes from nickel.

Best wishes, Andy

Hi @AndyPandy
I haven't actually bought one yet. I had a rough couple of weeks and just kinda forgot about it. Thanks for reminding me ;)
The only one I found that states it is free of nickel is this:
https://www.zensorium.com/being#introduction
It looks pretty good but is in pre-order so doesn't have any reviews, and I couldn't find any info on whether it has a heart-rate alarm.
I think I am going to just get the Mio Fuse, as from @Valentijn description it sounds like it would be okay.

Dr.Patient

There is no kinship like the one we share!

Best wishes, Andy

It is great! Very useful. Although I had been advised by my doctor and the good people here on PR to get one last year, I didn't get to getting one until now. Though I cannot restrict anymore of my already very limited activities, checking my HR during activities is making me very mindful of my condition. I cannot say that I haven't trimmed down the duration of some things. It's a great tool!

It is also great that others can see objectively how frail our condition is.

Hello everyone
Can I ask a question about use of HRMs. Do any of you have any views?

I am guessing that what we are trying to prevent here is over cycling our ATP, to the point where it runs out, before we can recycle it, causing us to burn up our ADP, and causing a long period where the body needs to create new ATP (several days as a minimum usually).

It seems to me that this may be done through either combined steps (any activity) over a day, or a short more intensive period.

The PEM we are experiencing, seems to be heart related, and specifically a mitochondrial issue, specific to the heart in this instance (and Brain fog, the same, of the brain).

Therefore, it strikes me that as opposed to being a specific BPM limit, the actual limit may be a more complex formula, which may for example be 450Beats/5minutes, or something which includes other measures of time than a single minute.

Knowing what this is for each individual would depend on their specific issues with mitochondria and ATP production/cycling, but I am simply suggesting that the focus on not exceeding the beats in a single minute may be a vastly oversimplification of the actual threshold.

Any thoughts on this. I hope I have explained what I mean adequately. Please reply with any thoughts.
Thanks

Hello everyone
Can I ask a question about use of HRMs. Do any of you have any views?

I am guessing that what we are trying to prevent here is over cycling our ATP, to the point where it runs out, before we can recycle it, causing us to burn up our ADP, and causing a long period where the body needs to create new ATP (several days as a minimum usually).

It seems to me that this may be done through either combined steps (any activity) over a day, or a short more intensive period.

The PEM we are experiencing, seems to be heart related, and specifically a mitochondrial issue, specific to the heart in this instance (and Brain fog, the same, of the brain).

Therefore, it strikes me that as opposed to being a specific BPM limit, the actual limit may be a more complex formula, which may for example be 450Beats/5minutes, or something which includes other measures of time than a single minute.

Knowing what this is for each individual would depend on their specific issues with mitochondria and ATP production/cycling, but I am simply suggesting that the focus on not exceeding the beats in a single minute may be a vastly oversimplification of the actual threshold.

Any thoughts on this. I hope I have explained what I mean adequately. Please reply with any thoughts.
Thanks
And I say this with a view to purchasing a MIO, or similar v soon, and am thinking about how best to make use of this killer feature!