• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

"How can doctors help someone with ME?-Thoughts in brief, from 25% ME Group med adviser Dr N Speight

Dolphin

From the latest newsletter of the 25% ME Group:

How can doctors help someone with ME?

Thoughts in brief, from 25% ME Group medical adviser Dr Nigel Speight

ME sufferers deserve a medically led service, with the authority to make a definitive diagnosis of ME in patients referred. This service should be staffed by:

- Doctors who understand and believe in ME as a genuine (if poorly understood) organic/physical illness;

- Doctors who remember the principles of respect for patient autonomy and the need for informed consent;

- Doctors who will act as patient advocates;

- Doctors who can tolerate the severity of some cases and their own feelings of impotence when confronted with them, and not feel duty bound to “cure” their patients somehow;

- Doctors who are open to new ideas e.g. the possibility that some cases of apparent ME may in fact be Lyme Disease and may be curable by antibiotic therapy.

http://www.25megroup.org/Information/Newsletter/issue 37/Carer37.doc