1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Ergonomics and ME/CFS: Have You Hurt Yourself Without Knowing It?
Having a chronic illness like ME/CFS can make it hard to avoid problems that come from bad ergonomics. Jody Smith has learned some lessons the hard way ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

How Caffeine blocks adenosine and other neurotransmitters

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by xchocoholic, Apr 18, 2011.

1. xchocoholic

xchocoholic Senior Member

Florida
    Rats .. The Title should be "How caffeine blocks adenosine and BOOSTS other neurotransmitters"

Great article on how caffeine affects our bodies ... I copied in a small section about adenosine but the next section in this article discusses how it affects dopamine, etc too ...

I just stopped ALL caffeine (no chocolate, no coffee and no Kombucha) last Monday for the very first time in my life to see if it will help calm my body down ...

Maybe this is part of why we over react (the effect of excito toxins) to caffeine and some supplements. If our adenosine receptors are blocked we can't calm down and our other neurotransmitters are allowed to fire uncontrollably ...

http://health.howstuffworks.com/wellness/drugs-alcohol/caffeine.htm

Has anyone experimented with this ? I slowly weaned myself but I had a few headaches during the first week after totally stopping this. But I already feel better since I'm no longer experiencing the neurotransmitter roller coaster ride from the caffeine. I miss the taste of coffee, chocolate and Kombucha though.

tc ... x
  2. xchocoholic

Florida
    I'm copying this in to so we don't lose it ...

3. xchocoholic

Florida
    This sounds like it would definitely be a problem for those of us who are hyper reactive ...
  4. xchocoholic

Florida
    I'm responding really well to this so far and I really wasn't ingesting that much caffeine. The problem could've been that I was having bits of caffeine throughout the day though never allowing my body to unwind.

This is day 14 ... I had a few headaches around days 4 and 5 but not as bad as what they say. But I had really bad shakes all day long on days 9 and 10. Luckily that's gone. On day 10 I ate a bite of chocolate and the shakes stopped ...

My reaction to eating sugars has lessened so I'm not getting such a head rush from fruit. Caffeine affects how our bodies process glucose.

And when I lay down, the blood isn't rushing into my head like it did ... Caffeine constricts blood flow.

I really don't miss the adrenaline surges ... Between blocking adenosine and boosting dopamine and those other neurotransmitters, I was on a roller coaster ...

I'm thinking this may be just as important for some of us as giving up gluten ... From what I've read, I appear to have a caffeine intolerance. My reaction to this is equal the sort of reaction I had to giving up gluten.

I'm hoping it eliminates my orthostatic intolerance and heart symptoms. tc .. x
  5. Mya Symons

Mya Symons Mya Symons

Wyoming
    This might be a stupid question, but how did you give up chocolate? I am so addicted. My niece actually put a bumper sticker on my car that said "Will work for chocolate." My doctor told me that it will increase my pain, but still I can't stop (it also, of course, irritates the heck out of my IBS). I noticed your name was xchocoholic so I am figuring you must have had similar issues. So, how did you do it? Did you taper yourself off slowly or quit cold turkey. What did you do about the cravings?
  6. xchocoholic

Florida
    Hi Mya,

Before now, I had a ton of X's in front of my chocoholic ... :D

I thought I was tapering off these foods slowly but it turns out that I should've gone slower. My detox reactions have been scarey at times ... I'm stuck with these reactions now but if I had to do this over again, I'd taper off these down to the last bite or sip.

I found that the cravings went away within a few days of stopping all the caffeine foods that I was eating. The addiction was still there but I understand that's going to take while to eliminate.

I guess if there's a trick to this, it would be to substitute something else you like for what you're giving up. I bought some organic sunflower seed butter ...

Oh and reminding yourself of your goal helps too ...

hth ... x
  7. Live And Let Die

Live And Let Die Senior Member

Las Vegas
    Yeah, wow. I'm highly addicted to caffine. Not looking forward to giving it up but it needs to be done.
  8. Live And Let Die

Live And Let Die Senior Member

Las Vegas
    I'll start quitting tomorrow. ;)
  9. Francelle

Francelle Senior Member

Victoria, Australia
    Tea is so much more refreshing than coffee anyday once you become used to it. Try green tea perhaps and know that it is doing you good!

Not a chocolate addict here but had some (a small amount) of dark chocolate over Easter and my heart started thumping badly and my heartrate went sky high. Horrible feeling!
  10. madietodd

madietodd Senior Member

East Coast, USA
    Great thread; I'm giving up caffeine (again!) today. Green and white tea still have caffeine in them, so I think they're out. As to chocolate, I can't remember the last day I didn't eat chocolate, until giving it up a week ago. I quickly discovered that a huge part of my addiction is "needing" the little burst of energy I'd get. Now giving up caffeine as well, that's the challenge. My desire for the taste of chocolate disappeared when I started Rich's new protocol last week.

Xchoc, what's your position on decaf tea and coffee?
  11. TinyT

TinyT Senior Member

Australia
    I have largely given up coffee since my relapse (only drank it to get me through the work day), but I loooove a good cup of tea. Especially english breakfast & flavored black tea.

I thought caffeine was recommended for Orthostatic in tolerance due to it's vasoconstricting properties?
  12. xchocoholic

Florida
    Hope it helps you. It's funny. I didn't know how addicted I was because I had eliminated each of the caffeine filled foods or drinks I was ingesting one at a time over the last 5 years and added them back in cause I didn't feel any different ... It wasn't until I got off ALL caffeine that my body reacted. good luck .. x .. btw. It's a REALLY good idea to go slow on this.
  13. xchocoholic

Florida
    Hi Francelle,

All caffeine has to be eliminated for this to work. It's a drug so any amount is going to do the same thing to our bodies.

On days 9 and 10 of this detox, I had the shakes so bad I thought I was going to have a seizure. (I have a history of seizures) .. so on day 10, I ate 1/2 of 1 square of 71% Equal Exchange chocolate. And while it stopped my shakes within 20 - 60 minutes, I was wide awake that night ...

Of course without a caffeine meter on my forehead, I can't say for sure this worked but I'm "assuming" it did. ; )

FWIW ... I'm one of those who feels a jolt when I drink or eat anything with caffeine. I JUST thought this was normal ... lol ...

tc ... x
  14. xchocoholic

Florida
    Madie,

Just please go slowly on this .. I've had some scarey detox symptoms that I wish I'd avoided.

IF this is what's been causing my OI, it makes sense that I'd have a strong reaction though. Which is why I'm so hopeful that this is what I was missing ...

No caffeine is the only way for an addict to go. If you google caffeine intolerance or addiction you'll see a lot of websites on this .. tc ... x
  15. xchocoholic

Florida
    Hi Tiny,

I'd heard that too but it looks like caffeine was constricting my blood vessels too much. I'm assuming that since the blood isn't rushing into my head when I lay down anymore ...

It certainly wasn't good for my adrenal fatigue or my insomnia or my seizures ... tc ... x
  16. mon me

mon me

Yes, I would agree that caffeine constricts blood vessels for me too. After I drink a cup I get the brain energy lift and then after an hour or so I need to lie down, I feel drained/wiped out, when I get up too fast I feel OI. I can't deprive myself of coffee and chocolate, I've lost too much in life, so I limit myself to a cup or 2 every couple of weeks. I have experienced no effect from caffeine on some occasions, don't know why.
  17. brenda

brenda Senior Member

UK
    Hi girls guess what??

WHITE CHOCOLATE IS OK yay!!!

It has no caffeine in. Sugar yes, if you don`t get the healthy sort but a small bit now again.....

I had to give up caffeine when my adrenals crashed a few months back and it has helped a great deal. I am doing better.
  18. madietodd

madietodd Senior Member

East Coast, USA
    Xchoc - Thanks for the reminder. I'm stopping coffee, tea, chocolate, and sugar, so yes, I'd better be careful. My easiest way to cut back gradually is to move from black to green to white tea, then off. I've got it all in my cupboard!

I ask again - what's your position on decaf? I do love the taste of black tea.
  19. ggingues

ggingues $10 gift code at iHerb GAS343 of $40

Concord, NH
    Why would chocolate increase pain? I have not heard of that before. I only eat very dark chocolate now, I buy the Ghirardelli baking chips of 60% Cacoa, it's only $2.50 11.5 ounces! I have read that dark chocolate is good for you in some regard(s).

GG
  20. kday

kday Senior Member

I am intolerant to coffee drinks. Well, I used to be extremely intolerant. Now I can handle them some, but they can make me feel just horrible and anxious, so I never drink coffee. Before I was ill, I could honestly fall alseep (if I wanted to) after drinking a 6 pack of red bull. Wow, I have changed.

However, something that contains caffeine that seems to have an opposite effect of coffee is white tea or green tea. This contains roughly about 1/3 of the caffeine of Coffee, and seems to make me feel more relaxed and more at peace. Perhaps it's the EGCG that does this.

See more popular forum discussions.