• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

How are your kidneys?

Fejal

I'm curious, have any CFS/ME patients here had the following symptoms of vitamin D overdose?

Vitamin D overdose causes hypercalcemia and the main symptoms of vitamin D overdose are those of hypercalcemia: anorexia, nausea, and vomiting can occur, frequently followed by polyuria, polydipsia, weakness, nervousness, pruritus, and ultimately renal failure.

The symptoms of vitamin D overdose can vary from mild to serious. Some, like nervousness and irritability, are emotional. But physical signs can start to appear as nausea, vomiting, loss of appetite and accompanying weight loss. Sufferers may also become dehydrated and experience increased thirst and severe headaches. As symptoms progress, the nerves and muscles become affected, leading to itchy skin, fatigue and weakness. More serious issues of vitamin D toxicity in the body leads to elevated levels of calcium that reside in the blood and soft tissues (like the lungs, heart and kidneys). At this point, bone pain or bone loss can occur. Sufferers will also exhibit urinary tract symptoms ranging from excessive production of urine to kidney stones or renal failure. High blood pressure and an increased risk of heart disease are concerns and ultimately can lead to irrevocable damage to major organs.

Sallysblooms

P.O.T.S. now SO MUCH BETTER!
I have very low vit D. I take good vit d drops. My level is getting better! Getting tested is important. Too high or too low is not good.

Min

i have had hyperparathyroidism (now treated) that gave me many similar symptoms.

Fejal

You don't understand. Certain bacterial infections give you a low reading for 25D but an elevated 1,25D. Taking more 25D isn't necessary.

justy

Donate Advocate Demonstrate
I take viamin D3 daily for the past 6 months and my cognitive problems have dramatically improved. i do not know what my vit D levels are. But i do know that i dont go out in the sun hardly at all and i live in a very cloudy, cool environment without much acsess to the sun.

justy

Donate Advocate Demonstrate
sorry to hear this Fejal, but we are all different. I am using supplements based on a treatment protocol from Dr.Myhill - but they are tailored to me, based on my test results.