1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
ME/CFS and the Magic of the Canine Factor
There's been plenty of research indicating that having pets is good for your health. I never really noticed any particular benefits to having cats, though that may have had more to do with my cats. They've been fairly indifferent to my presence and we've shared a live-and-let-live...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

How acute is acute

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS Discussion' started by Aerose91, Nov 18, 2013.

1. Aerose91

Aerose91 Senior Member

Or those of you who had acute onset- what is acute to you?

I can tell you not only the minute that ME hit me but the second. I was asleep and got woken up by a horrendous panic attack (never had one before in my life) and bam, it hit me like a freight train from there. Since ten it's been a constant downhill slide.

What is considered acute for people?
    Allyson likes this.
  2. Allyson

Allyson *****

Australia, Melbourne
    aargh - lost my whole post again as I tried ot pos t- no draft saved
  3. minkeygirl

minkeygirl Senior Member

Left Coast
    For me, one minute I was ok, the next I was puking from allergies I never had. Downhill from there for awhile, then rallied for a few years but without treatment I progressively got worse.
  4. Allyson

Allyson *****

Australia, Melbourne
    yes I never connected my allergies, asthma, fainting, motion sickness and sore throats and migraines - so a collapse ( fall to the ground without losing consciousness at all) at 25 seemed like the start of ti but the insidious sympotms were there beforehand - I just had never made the link

A
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2013
  5. ukxmrv

ukxmrv Senior Member

London
    Acute for me was a viral illness that came on within 24 hours and was severe very quickly
    minkeygirl likes this.
  6. minkeygirl

minkeygirl Senior Member

Left Coast
    I totally forgot since it was so long ago but I had seen an endocrinologist who misdiagnosed me with an adrenal disease and put me on Cortef which crashed my immune system.

Soon after that I got some virus that had me hallucinating. They never figured it out but I was toast after that.
    Allyson likes this.
  7. Sushi

Sushi Moderator and Senior Member Albuquerque

Albuquerque
    Did you look in your drafts folder?
  8. Allyson

Allyson *****

Australia, Melbourne
    Yes thanks Sushi - I look there every time now - I even save drafts as go but after it disappears the folder is empty

driving me batty

A
    aimossy likes this.
  9. Aerose91

Aerose91 Senior Member

So is it the virus that comes in acutely or the ME that follows. I got mine from encephalitis but to be honest I can't even remember a period between encephalitis and the ME. it's like the ME was there from the beginning as well
  10. SOC

SOC Moderator and Senior Member

USA
    For me the acute onset was less than 2 hours, maybe less than 1 hour. At the time I thought it was some crazy kind of flu (in August? I was ignorant back then ;)). At noon I was feeling fine and planning a busy evening. By 2:00 I felt like someone filled me with lead. I remember mentally blaming my daughter's little friend who came over that afternoon. "I don't remember this child being so incredibly exhausting." :redface: By 6:00 I couldn't think straight. I remember telling people to stay well away from me because I had the flu from hell. If only.
    Allyson likes this.
  11. Allyson

Allyson *****

Australia, Melbourne
    did those who were perfectly well before it started suddenly get tested for Lyme I wonder ? lots of aussies finding out they have that now

A
  12. SOC

SOC Moderator and Senior Member

USA
    I was tested for Lyme, although it was at least a year, and maybe as much as 4 years, later. I was negative on both Elisa and Western Blot, iirc. Nowadays I do wonder how good the testing was, but the official word currently is no Lyme for me.
  13. Aerose91

Aerose91 Senior Member

Is acute onset possible for CFS? From what I've read it seems like it's solely an ME thing

I was also tested for Lyme in blood and spinal fluid but both came back negative. Neither was one ofthe advanced labs tho, I would be curious to try one
  14. brenda

brenda Senior Member

UK
    I had an acute onset to my severe stage. It happened suddenly whilst l was riding a bicycle, a w ave of exhaustion came over me and next morning l was toast. I had been suffering from CFS foryears before that but this was different with extreme weakness. I have few positive Lyme tests and had been walking unprotected in woods. Lyme tests unreliable so always suspect lyme for sudden onset.
  15. catly

catly

outside of NYC
    My symptoms started suddenly on 2/9/2012. I was visiting my brother in another state and had a great day the day before-- it was warm and beautiful for February. When I woke up on the 9th I was fine, we went to breakfast and then afterwards I started to feel really strange. I then developed a numbness and tingling on the right side of my face, leg and arm. At first I thought I was having a stroke, but I ignored it and drove back home. Over the course of a week or so, I developed "crashing" fatigue, anxiety attacks, tendinitis and joint pain and the list goes on. I remained symptomatic but fully functional for a good year then proceeded to spiral downward the Spring of 2013 until I hit bottom this past May and have improved only slightly since then.
  16. peggy-sue

peggy-sue

Scotland
    I was in the middle of a lovely long hike/ walk around town (about 13 miles altogether, an easy stroll for me), I was just setting off across a road, On one side I was grand, by the time I reached the other side, I was wading trhough a lake of treacle. I had to consciously push each leg forward, rather than simply swing it, as I had been a second beforehand.

It was really, really weird. I kept expecting it to stop as quickly as it had started, so I carried on with my walk.

Another 3 miles, uphill. :eek:I got home, crawled into bed and stayed there for 2 days.

Thet's the longest I've been stuck in bed.

My disease has nothing to do with "deconditioning".

But my onset was very acute.
    A few seconds, if that.
    It just took a few seconds for what was happening to register, it was so strange.
  17. Valentijn

Valentijn Activity Level: 3

Amersfoort, Netherlands
    I had this happen too, several years before I got really sick. First I had some sudden abdominal marks appear, then I woke up in the middle of the night with my legs having pins-and-needles. That passed after wiggling around a bit, but then the entire right side of body was somewhat numb for several weeks, until a neurologist prescribed folic acid. After 5-10 minutes of really intense vertigo, I felt all warm and fuzzy and the numbness went away.

The eventual diagnosis was a complicated hemiplegic migraine, but in retrospect it might have Bartonella, since I had the stretch marks closely followed by neurological symptoms.
  18. catly

catly

outside of NYC
    During those early months I once had severe tingling and pins and needles all over my scalp, then I had them one time all over my lower legs, both instances were really intense and last several hours but never happened again. I also had numbness and tingling in my fingers and toes that recurred frequently the first year but have mostly disappeared since. I had a brain MRI early on (april 2012) and the neuro ruled out stoke and MS.

It's hard not to try to connect the dots to understand what causes ones ME/CFS. Like many PWCs, I was extremely active and very healthy all my life. The only kind of real stress I was under when my CFS struck was I was going through menopause. Maybe that and my faulty genes triggered the response.
  19. Aerose91

Aerose91 Senior Member

After the acute onset what has your guys' trend been in terms of symptom severity?
    I was somewhat stable until I had an episode of overexertion, and since then my setback was permenant, yet I continue to get worse EVERY DAY. I have done nothing just rest for months now, great sleep and naps but it doesn't matter- every single day I wake up and my brain in noticeably worse- physically I'm the same. It's been several months now that I get worse daily. Is this normal? Shouldn't i at least be stable considering how much I rest and how good my diet is?
  20. meandthecat

meandthecat

UK
    Sept 18 2005. after a great weekend setting up an alternative health day, the irony...the irony, down in the town, I got home, felt abit odd and went to bed............sic infit.

I tell people it was like being hit by a train

See more popular forum discussions.