The 12th Invest in ME Conference, Part 1
OverTheHills presents the first article in a series of three about the recent 12th Invest In ME international Conference (IIMEC12) in London.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

How a Monopoly Is Turning the Date Rape Drug into a Blockbuster Moneymaker 11/10/14 via ANH

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by *GG*, Nov 11, 2014.

1. *GG*

*GG* Senior Member

Concord, NH
    Patent protection means you get to charge whatever the market will bear. In this case, it bears a 935% increase in the price tag.

Xyrem is the brand name for sodium oxybate. Sodium oxybate is the sodium salt of γ-hydroxybutyric acid, or GHB—the “date rape drug.” It’s an old drug—even older than aspirin—and it’s FDA-approved for the treatment of excessive daytime sleepiness caused by narcolepsy.

Basically, the very qualities that make itideal for drugging young women in bars also allows narcoleptic patients to get a deep night’s sleep in order to encourage daytime wakefulness. If its approval can be extended to other patients who have trouble sleeping, the sky will be the limit on how successful this drug can be for its manufacturer, Jazz Pharmaceuticals.

According to “Narcolepsy Blues,” a recent article from Grant’s Interest Rate Observer, Xyrem generated a second-quarter sales growth this year of 43%, despite the fact that between 2006 and 2013, Jazz raised the price of Xyrem by 935%. A year’s worth of the medicine now costs $65,146; its gross profit margins are close to 100%—far better than 60% of the other drugs made by Jazz.

cont'd

http://www.anh-usa.org/monopoly-drug-moneymaker/

2. heapsreal

heapsreal iherb 10% discount code OPA989,

australia (brisbane)
    I recall reading a study a while back on the data of which drugs were used in date rape. GHB as well as rohypnol weren't very high on the list of what was found.

Seems as though they needed something to blame. Any sleeping pill or even an antihistamine could be used. I think it's an excuse to increase the price or reduce the market of these effective sleep meds so that doctors and patients have to turn to what's new on the market.

I think it may have been a similar situation when tryptophan was taken of the market.

If something works well be it a supplement or drug they either ban it or greatly increase the price.

GhostGum likes this.
  3. Very good article other day on BBC about the obscene profit margins of the pharma crops, way beyond anyone else
    Time it was made illegal, their businesses seized, and made into non-profit trusts independent of government with scrupulous independent oversight.
    Health is NOT a luxury item and too damn important to let wahoos mess with.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-28212223

and not one pharma corp ratbag got jailed for the thousands of deaths they have caused.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2014
    GracieJ and JAM like this.

See more popular forum discussions.