1. Patients launch a $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
9th Invest in ME International ME Conference, 2014 - Part 2: Pathogens and the Gut
Mark Berry continues his series of articles on the 9th Invest in ME International ME Conference in London, with the emphasis shifting from autoimmunity to pathogens and the gut ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

House of Lords debates the PACE Trial | verbatim report and YouTube

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS News' started by Roy S, Feb 13, 2013.

1. Valentijn

Valentijn Activity Level: 3

Amersfoort, Netherlands
    I think it's a somewhat common and very inappropriate tactic some people use. Basically they state that disagreeing with them is tantamount to discrimination/hate/etc targeted at some sympathetic population. It's specifically been used for a very long time in shutting down opposition to psychological ME/CFS theories.
    Shell likes this.
  2. orion

orion Senior Member

UK
    I suspect his views were fixed long before Lady Mar initiated this debate. He comes across as an old school doctor who thinks patients should know their place and not get involved in debates about medical issues. I definitely wouldn't see him as a natural ally.

I've never warmed to the guy. I find him smug, patronising, and insufferably paternalistic. I watched one of his documentaries a few years ago and he kept talking about what he would or wouldn't "allow" his patient to do, as if the patient didn't have any say in the matter.
    golden, maryb, Roy S and 2 others like this.
  3. maryb

maryb iherb code TAK122

UK
    Well said orion.
  4. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

For anyone who missed it:
    At nearly 22,000 words (pdf is 35 pages), it's a long, long piece. But contains a lot of interesting information on the PACE Trial and ME/CFS politics, if you haven't read similar documents by Margaret Williams.

There's a thread on this at: http://forums.phoenixrising.me/inde...ds-grand-committee-on-6th-february-2013.22376
  5. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

Peter White:
    http://www.informationtribunal.gov.uk/DBFiles/Decision/i1069/20130822 Decision EA20130019.pdf
    Valentijn and Roy S like this.

See more popular forum discussions.