• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Hot Flushes are Back. Could be my first hot winter.

rosie26

I'm having furnace like flushing all throughout the day - glad the weather is cooling for this reason only. The heat of a hot flush reaches high heat in about 1-2 seconds. It's doing a good job of roughing me up some more.
I first experienced these 2 years ago when I had a severe deterioration of which I am still climbing out of. Then they disappeared for about a year and a half. I thought that was it but no, they are back. I hope this is the last go they have at me.

I had stopped taking fish oils a month ago as I had run out. I wonder if that is why they came back again. I have started back on them again.

How long did your hot flushes go on for. ? Anything help you through menopause. ?

Plus, did you get hair growing on your face, I hope I don't get that but :rolleyes: what next to deal with. I was told electrolysis is the best way to deal with hair if it starts growing. I am trying to plan ahead now so I don't have to think in a rush. Some women don't worry about hair on their face but I haven't reached that stage of acceptance yet (is that the right word ?) and not sure if I can when and if it happens.

Last edited:

xchocoholic

I bought a magnifying mirror so I can check for unwarranted hair. I learned the hard way that you can't trust friends and family to tell you.

As for flushes, I had a horrible time with this during menopause.
But now that I'm post menopausal, I've found that this is a detox reaction for me too. It became most apparent during my nicotine / cigarette trial (long story - nicotine is being tested by medical researchers for other neuro problems tho) for OI. I'd sweat till I was soaked the day after smoking.

So maybe you're detoxing too. Tc ... x

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
Thankfully I have never had hot flashes. But post menopause was miserable for hairs. It was so bad at first I had electrolysis. Now like @xchocoholic I have a 20x power mirror and a tweezer that has a light on it. The worst the ones way back under my chin by my neck.

Mij

@rosie26 for me, the hot flashes have been coming and going for the last year and a half. I still take the same supplements so there is no connection there for me. The flashes last for 3 weeks and then disappear for months and now they're back since 2 weeks ago. My hair started falling out like crazy too and now it's stopped. The burning mouth comes and goes. Lower back fatigue and general malaise is worse, makes it difficult to walk and then add ME on top of that. Sleep was great and now I wake every 3hrs. I get a few facial hairs so I just pluck them. I'm just keeping my fingers crossed that this will be the worse of it.

We're all different and from what I've read is that hot flashes can last for many years. My aunt had hot flashes right up until she passed away and she was in her 80's. I don't think my mother even had them.

Stress makes it worse. I also stopped drinking espresso coffee which I enjoyed every once in a while, my one guilty pleasure with an almond croissant :(

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
I just realized as you are talking about hot flashes that I have been getting really teary over really stupid things the past week or so. Watching General Hospital just had me tearing up and other equally stupid things.

I hate when my hormones go out of whack for no reason.

rosie26

@minkeygirl - I know, I have had a hard time all the way through ME - hellishly tearful. I don't know much about the NK function stuff - I must read up on it - I wonder if it too causes the awful weakness we feel.

I didn't get much sleep last night - neighbors over fence had visitors I think and they kept coming outside for a smoke and chat, then go back in, but at about 3am they seemed to stay out there and I ended up having to go outside and say to them "Can you quieten down please, we are trying to get to sleep here." I never used to do this kind of thing - go outside and tell people off - only since ME.

Last edited:

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
@rosie. I just had my NK Cell function done and it was high (forget the number). I've also been really low. I personally don't think it's the problem for me because this teariness just started.

But I can tell my entire system is off because I wake with air hunger which never ends and the taste in my mouth is altered which happens when something is off with me.

I have a sinus infection and just started on Augmentin so that is some of this but not all.

I have problem with neighbors behind my fence. At 8 p.m when they are out I call the cops since it will take them awhile to get there and then I can sleep. DO NOT feel something is wrong with you because you tell people to be quiet. Only selfish arises sit outside talking and laughing at 3 a.m. and think it's ok.

TigerLilea

I have been having hot flashes now for the past two and a half years. Mine didn't even start until five and a half months after my last period. The first year they would last about three to four months and then go away for about six to eight weeks and then the cycle would start over again. Now for the past year they are every single day. :mad: A good friend of mine has been having hot flashes for the past 15 years and still going. :eek: Since the hot flashes started I am chronically tired and could sleep all day long. I have very little stamina and find it hard doing anything and really have to push myself to do things that I could do before. Even with CFS I was never like this before becoming post meno.

I went through the air hunger phase in the last two years of perimenopause. That thankfully went away at post. The facial hair for me is on my upper lip. I made the mistake of plucking out the hairs which were fine and light in colour. They grew back in coarse and very black. :mad: Add in arthritis in my hands, lower back pain when I bend over, heat intolerance, constipation (never ever had before), days and sometimes weeks of insomnia, my memory ain't what it used to be - IT SUCKS GETTING OLDER. :grumpy:

I feel like I lost the person I used to be to menopause. I just hope I get her back someday soon. I miss her. :cry:

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
BHRT is on my list of things to do. I was balanced for about 3 hours in 2007 and it was like the angels sang.

But I had a bad reaction to one of the estrogens so stopped and have to gone back.

Hormones play a huge role in how we feel and need to be addressed. I use OTC progesterone because even though I have no hormones I'm still estrogen dominant and get migraines and nauseated without it.

Mij

I just realized as you are talking about hot flashes that I have been getting really teary over really stupid things the past week or so. Watching General Hospital just had me tearing up and other equally stupid things.

I hate when my hormones go out of whack for no reason.

Oh yeah! Roller coaster emotions and getting easily irritated when things aren't going smoothly. On those days I make sure I stay home- lol

rosie26

@Mij Like your new avatar Mij, liked your other one too.

The stress one made me think because yesterday while lying down looking at the laptop, I had a worrisome thought come to me and it triggered the heat flush. So I think once you start getting the hot flushes they are easily triggered by the sensitivities in ME like the noise, skin, smell, light. x

rosie26

@TigerLilea I'm getting them every day too. Last night I was awake most of the night and I think I had about 6 or 7 burn ups. I thought gosh I better get some fluids in. I must be losing a lot of salts with this. Hope you are keeping up your electrolytes. I've been getting the constipation too, just the last 6 odd weeks. It feels like a change in body chemistry. I don't even feel like going as usual and I think it is all the heat the body is producing. I am finding eating golden kiwi fruit helpful - just waiting for the new season oranges to come out.

I wouldn't be surprised sometime in the near future they will find a way to keep us from aging. But it might be too late for us, I don't know, maybe they might be able to turn back time - that would be amazing. I have to try and remember to love me and the way I look as I go through the stages of looking older. Do you put any lipstick on TigerLilea, I find it helps cheer me up when I look at myself in the mirror. Have you tried electrolysis at all ? I think someone said that it cost her $40 a session, could take 10 sessions, not sure. x