1. Patients launch a $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
The Fable known as The PACE Trial
Graham, Janelle and Bob, have once again excelled themselves with their latest take on the 'poisoned apple' that was the PACE Trial...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

HOT! Coffin, Sharma, and Goff@ Conference on Retroviral Infections...

Discussion in 'Media, Interviews, Blogs, Talks, Events about XMRV' started by parvofighter, Feb 20, 2010.

1. Robin

Robin Guest

Reeves will blame their traumatic childhoods and then put them on monkey treadmills for some GET! :tear::tear:

Nice work, parvo. :) I <3 Coffin. And not just because he uses the phrase "grind the sausage"! :eek:

You know, we talk a lot about the Wesselys and the Reeves, and the mean researchers who seem to discriminate against CFS medically and politically. But the fact that there are awesome researchers who don't know that much about CFS yet refrain from accepting the somatic theory, and are excited to help patients....that is so cool. They deserve a lot of credit.
  2. parvofighter

parvofighter Senior Member

Canada
    Dr Coffin: There is no question that XMRV is real and infecting people

Dr Coffin's quote was such good news, I just have to repeat it!
    Dr Goff was more tempered, but even so his words are hard-hitting:
    Robin, you hit the nail on the head:
    I'm not concerned about the first 2 "rebuttal" studies - they're just so full of methodological flaws. But what concerns me is the piecemeal acceptance by much of the media of their fundamentally flawed conclusions. And I hate the way such seriously flawed research is jubilantly waved in front of patients with a devastating neuro-immune disorder. Or the way that some truly evil "CFS" pundits are saying that further XMRV research is a waste of time.

Finally we have a glimmer of balance, an infinitesimal levelling of the playing field. A cadre of researchers who have no qualms about the possibility that their science might give ME/CFS patients some hope! Just as the CBT/GET engine is showing signs of panic-mode strain (can anyone say "Class Action Suit"?), there is a whole new economic and scientific engine starting up - the pharmas, biotechs, and researchers who are HUNGRY :)Retro biggrin::D) to uncover the connections between XMRV and CFS. Yes, still to be validated - but my money's on XMRV as the culprit for our disease. A powerful economic engine has been started: XMRV science is becoming an industry - an Olympic race - unto itself, and that's a GOOD thing!

I think my favorite part was Dr Coffin talking about "grinding the sausage"! Thank heavens for genuine nerds - scientists who really get jazzed up by new and exciting scientific discoveries... particularly ones which could bring us out of this neuro-immune darkness. I was getting seriously annoyed with the blind lemming approach to reporting of lousy XMRV science!:Retro smile: I wonder if we might get a copy of the powerpoint presentations from this retroviral conference? Ideas?

P.S. Thanks for the hugs and good wishes - I hope to be back more soon. Most appreciated, and I think we were all due for a few:hug:
  3. CBS

CBS Senior Member

Western US
    $$$

Parvo,

You are spot on about this putting the first two UK studies in perspective. The presentation by, and simply the presence of, the Abbot doc is not in$ignificant:

4. _Kim_

_Kim_ Guest

Just some more bits - Summary by the Conference Chair John Mellors 2/16/2010 @ 00:29

From Dr. Prachi Sharma 02/19/2010 Friday Press Conference Part I (she spoke right after Dr. Goff)

From John Hackett Jr. Abbott Diagnostics 02/19/2010 Friday Press Conference Part I
  5. parvofighter

parvofighter Senior Member

Canada
    Thanks Kim!!!

Thanks so much for another great transcription Kim!:thumbsup:

I'm really intrigued by the primate studies... do they
    a) Just infect them with XMRV; or
    b) Infect them with XMRV, then add a secondary immune insult:

• Somehow damage the RNase-L antiviral pathway and/or NK cells etc?
    • Give a whack of vaccines with adjuvants?
    • Expose them to massive stress to get the cortisol stimulus happening?
    • Co-infect them with other known ME/CFS opportunistic infections (EBV, Parvo, HHV-6, etc)?
    My sense is that it might take more than a "simple" infection with XMRV to get their knuckles dragging. How are they going to "activate" it? All humor aside, I wouldn't wish this disease on any creature. Definitely a mixed emotional bag when your own health is tied in with animal studies.:(

Kim, great news on the Abbott front too. I'm most impressed by the concerted effort that Abbott Diagnostics seem to be making re: XMRV. Weren't they the ones that sponsored the convening of the group of 75 experts @ the Cleveland Clinic after the Science paper? Abbott Laboratories: Market capitalization ~ $84 Billion. I like it.:Retro smile:
  6. Gerwyn

Gerwyn Guest

where to look for it and how to detect it! Lymphoid and reproductive organs----the trials who have looked here have found it those who have not looked here have not Even these guys had trouble and they KNEW their subjects were infected sorry about typing I am trying mind faster than fingers FM doesnt help either!
  7. _Kim_

_Kim_ Guest

Gerwyn, you nailed the most important message in that press release. In infected animals, they are finding reservoirs in the reproductive and lymphoid organs. Can we just bypass all of these tedious peripheral blood studies and go straight to the tissues where we are likely to find the virus? Why can't we test epithelial cells from the cervix collected via routine Pap smear?
  8. Kati

Kati Patient in training

Kim I believe there is a study already happening at the NCI on gynecological malignancies and XMRV.
  9. _Kim_

_Kim_ Guest

Parvo - you have great questions. Dr. Sharma might be willing to answer them. Here is her contact info:

Sharma, Prachi
    Yerkes National Primate Research Center, Emory University
    Research Resources
    954 Gatewood Road
    Atlanta, Georgia 30329
    UNITED STATES
    E-Mail: psharm9 @ emory.edu
    Phone: 404-712-9329
    Position: Veterinary Pathologist and Associate Research Professor
    Areas of interest: SIV, tumors in mangabeys
    Species of interest: Cercocebus (mangabey), Macaca mulatta (rhesus macaque), Macaca nemestrina (pigtail macaque)

Abbott is also the sponsor for the UCSF Viral Diagnostics Discover Center (VDDC) at Mission Bay. Our member, hanchuchu, has been in touch with the director of the VDDC, Charles Chui - hopefully getting him to help in the diagnosis of the Chinese epidemic. The VDDC is using the Virochip (ala Joe DeRisi).
  10. _Kim_

_Kim_ Guest

That's right Kati, but I"m talking about the feasibility of a screening test for XMRV. We know that the virus is in very low copy numbers in the peripheral blood. Why not use vaginal/cervical scrapings of epithelial cells to test. If that's the tissue reservoir, why are they using blood? It's one thing if we were talking about intestinal biopsies - that's pretty invasive, but a pap smear is simple and can be done by a GP.
  11. natasa778

natasa778 Senior Member

London UK
    yes that and what I just posted under another thread would be a (relatively) simple stool test. I'll just copy my post but the reasoning being if XMRV is residing in epithelium and lymphoid tissue it would likely be found in the GI tract, shedding RNA in stool, and could explain why many suffer chronic GI problems.

My original post with link:

12. Advocate

Advocate Senior Member

U.S.A.
    More from the San Francisco conference

Here's a MedPage reporter's view of the conference.

http://www.medpagetoday.com/MeetingCoverage/CROI/18610

13. VillageLife

VillageLife Senior Member

United Kingdom
    Just wanted to add some things to this artical, it says that the monkeys didn't show any fever when injected with xmrv, does that mean that xmrv alone doesn't give you a flu-like illness and then develop CFS? So it does mean you carry xmrv, then you get eg normal flu then the virus is switched on.???

And also it says over 2,000 People were tested for the anti bodies, so Is that a small piece of information on the amount of people they've tested so far ? If so that's amazing they've tested that many people but annoying there not telling us what else they found out in those samples
  14. FernRhizome

FernRhizome Senior Member

Wow, this is so fascinating....I am so fascinated that it mentions the GI tract being involved!!!!!

Chronic infection, though, appeared largely limited to CD4+ T cells in lymphoid organs -- spleen, lymph nodes, and GI tract -- as well as in reproductive organs, including prostate, testes, ovaries, vagina, and cervix.
  15. Jackofit

Jackofit

Great news from the retrovirologists on a forum about scientific matters for adults. Something doesn't fit. What's with the childish emoticons? Are the grownups unable to use english to explain themselves? Criticism expected as we all make mistakes. A worse mistake is not realizing that and wondering why people dont take you seriously.
  16. fds66

fds66 Senior Member

I have managed to find some abstracts from this conference by searching on XMRV in the abstract search on this site http://www.retroconference.org/AbstractSearch/Default.aspx?Conf=19

I will post them below

I will let someone else highlight the important points. I am suffering today so my brain is not up to it.
  17. Countrygirl

Countrygirl Senior Member

UK
    Hello Jackofit. Welcome to the PRF. This is an excellent place for information, especially for those us without a scientific background as we learn so much. It has a wonderful community spirit and those of us who are mostly housebound/ bedbound appreciate being able to communicate with others in the same situation

Well, uummm...we enjoy them?. :D There is little to smile about when you spend every day, year in, year out, decade after decade, feeling horribly ill with virtually no medical, social or financial support. So anything that can raise our spirits is welcome. :Retro smile::Retro smile::Retro smile::Retro smile:

Often not ....brain fog...asphasia, dyslexia, mental wipeout. You can say a lot with a ;)

No criticism needed. You don't like :Retro smile: many of us do.:D I'm sure we can live in harmony. :victory:

The forums are for the benefit of this community, but everyone is welcome to read the many excellent posts.

I'm sorry the smilies aren't to your taste, and I hope that it won't affect your enjoyment of these forums.

You are most welcome and we look forward to reading your posts, even without the addition of smilies.

Best wishes,

C.G.
  18. guest

guest Guest

19. cfs since 1998

cfs since 1998 *****

Thanks fds66!

This one stuck out at me:
    "showed a wide dissemination of replicating virus even when the plasma viral load was undetectable."

See more popular forum discussions.