Phoenix Rising: The Gift That Keeps on Giving All Year Long
This holiday season Jody Smith turns her eyes to the people of Phoenix Rising and gives thanks for you all ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Host a screening of Unrest; raise money for research!

Discussion in 'Fundraising' started by Cheesus, Mar 20, 2017.

1. Cheesus

Cheesus Senior Member

UK
    The launch of Jen Brea's documentary Unrest could be the perfect opportunity to fundraise.

I have just submitted a request to host a screening of Unrest on my mum's behalf. She works at a local university. The plan currently is to host a screening at the university - ideally in the medical school if we can swing it, though that is not a foregone conclusion.

Hopefully we will be able to attract local patients, their friends and families, medical students, maybe a research team that is working on ME at the university, and anyone else we can convince to come along. We would then sell tickets, and anything extra over and above the costs required for the screening can then go towards an ME research charity. With some gentle coaxing I am sure we could persuade people to dig deep.

Is the documentary screening process suitable to this kind of endeavour, @JenB?

What do others think of this idea? Would people be able to adopt it in their local area? Many universities allow anyone to hire facilities, and you might even be able to do it for free if you tell them it is a fundraising event.

Here is the link where you can request a screening: http://www.unrest.film/host-a-screening/

Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
  2. slysaint

slysaint Senior Member

W. Sussex UK
    Goldsmiths? and University of Bristol?
    anyone got any contacts?

Jan, AndyPR and BurnA like this.
  3. Cheesus

Cheesus Senior Member

UK
    Newcastle. Couldn't really be further away and still inside England. Sorry!

You should be able to contact the university yourself and request venue hire in one of their lecture halls even if you have no affiliation to the university.

Jan and AndyPR like this.
  4. Cheesus

Cheesus Senior Member

UK
    I had a reply to my request to host a screening:

Comet, Jan, slysaint and 2 others like this.
  5. lnester7

lnester7 Seven

USA
    I have also access to organize a screening and also a great reaserch university.

My issue is I always like to see first. Since you are the organizer of you invite the local press and reaserchers I would love to be prepared and not being caught off guard. So I will hold until I see it then organize something

Ritto likes this.
  6. Cheesus

Cheesus Senior Member

UK
    I like to live dangerously :D

But seriously, I have faith in Jen and the reviews from reputable sources. Also i am pretty sure we will be sent a DVD, so my mum and I will no doubt watch it before the actual event. Unless I make miraculous progress before autumn, I won't be at the screening anyway, so you can be sure that I am going to watch it at home if I can get my hands on a copy.

We're thinking of asking Julia Newton, who is the lead ME researcher at Newcastle, if she might do a Q&A afterwards. Obviously this is highly speculative and she might not even want to come, but that would at least deflect some of the attention towards actual professionals.

Sancar, slysaint, Comet and 1 other person like this.
  7. *GG*

*GG* Senior Member

Concord, NH
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2017
  8. Cheesus

Cheesus Senior Member

UK
    It will be. I am waiting for them to launch the community screenings, which will be in Autumn.

9. justy

justy Senior Member

U.K
    I signed up to host a screening - hopefully at Aberystwyth University, where my husband works, but have heard nothing back = that was a few months ago. I didn't even get a message.

Cheesus likes this.
  10. Cheesus

Cheesus Senior Member

UK
    Maybe try again? I got a personal response pretty much straight away, then I got another generic response a while later.

justy likes this.
  11. *GG*

*GG* Senior Member

Concord, NH
    Oh, that sucks, Autumn is not going to leave much time to line things up before a nasty winter might arrive, which will not help the numbers of people to show up!

GG

12. Cheesus

Cheesus Senior Member

UK
    On the other hand, we want to screen it at a university, but deadlines are looming then students will be away for Summer, so Autumn might be ideal for catching people when they're on campus and not too busy.

justy and trishrhymes like this.
  13. Snowdrop

Snowdrop Vexacious, thy name is PACE

Toronto
    I thought I'd add this for anyone interested especially in the UK.

People have been wondering when there will be a UK premiere. While I have not yet looked at anywhere but London, Oxford and Cambridge (they all have Doc festivals) I think the London festival may have happened too early in the year this year to host a premiere.

But this link: http://www.lidf.co.uk/contact-us/ for London

offers anyone the chance to suggest Unrest for 2018. Wouldn't that be great!

ETA:
    I've tweeted the Ox/Cam festivals about the film.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2017 at 6:35 PM
    slysaint and Cheesus like this.

See more popular forum discussions.