Julie Rehmeyer's 'Through the Shadowlands'
Writer Never Give Up talks about Julie Rehmeyer's new book "Through the Shadowlands: A Science Writer's Odyssey into an Illness Science Doesn't Understand" and shares an interview with Julie ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Horrifying article in Sunday Times

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS News' started by MeSci, May 5, 2013.

1. lansbergen

lansbergen Senior Member

Didn;t that ring a bell?

2. MeSci

MeSci ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6?

Cornwall, UK
    No - should it?

3. lansbergen

lansbergen Senior Member

Do patients need to be protected against Brian Hyde?

4. MeSci

MeSci ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6?

Cornwall, UK
    I'm not an authority on Byron Hyde, but he seems to be quite highly thought of by people with ME, hence my puzzlement and doubt about the heroism.

5. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member

I agree with @Bob . I thought Charle's reply was a little off, but it's a personal thing, and we can all get irritated by stuff like that.

Sing and Valentijn like this.
  6. SilverbladeTE

SilverbladeTE Senior Member

Somewhere near Glasgow, Scotland
    Like Mark Twain, sort of, I may not want some sods killed, but their obituaries would put a smile on their face :p
    Their is a hell of a difference between that and a "death threat", and we are but Human.
    And I don't see why anyone would threaten a genuine researcher just because they got a "negative", that's how Science works, but I do understand this illness and the utter crap we get can drive folk cuckoo in the end!

And I'm not talking ala "rid me of that meddlesome priest", either. Some folk "who may not be mentioned" are sure as heck not Thomas A' Beckett! :D

Planck1.png

This IS the way things are, to an extent.
    Science is not some "perfect being of altruistic honesty", to some extent it's a load of dirty crap, where egos, tenure, pensions, demands to be published, profit etc can corrupt things. This has been proven repeatedly for last 150 years, but in recent years, most especially in pharmaceuticals.
    most researchers are honest, but people...are people.

And from experience, like it or not, it seems that the majority of doctors in the UK, suck.
    Good docs are worth their weight in gold :) But the arrogant, incompetent, abusive or worse ones are far too common :/

Also as I like to quote:
    We have been screwed over by those in power, those who should have helped us, and thus our loathing and scorn against some are earned.
    The Medical profession is not merely Victorian, it is bloody well Medieval in how it operates (and that can be shown). There's a vast difference between being a "physician", and how the "official professional group/culture" acts.
    How many voices were raised in concert, in Public, against the crap that the B.M.A. "old guard" has allowed over the years, hm?
    Sigh :/

7. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

Somebody asked me was he going to be written to following the tribunal result. Looks like he passed away earlier this year
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...Michael-Hanlon-death-heart-attack-age-51.html

Photo: http://hanlonblog.dailymail.co.uk/2...t-that-does-not-mean-that-it-is-not-real.html

Valentijn and ukxmrv like this.
  8. AR68

AR68

I was contacted, out of the blue, by the journalist in November 2012 for this article. I knew where this was going therefore I ignored the request. Ultimately he interviewed LS. This is part of what MH sent to me:

Attached Files:

anniekim, Valentijn and Kati like this.

See more popular forum discussions.