• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Horrific loss of speech, unable to process, understand, hear speech with hearing loss

RML

Hi, were you ever tested for Lyme disease? Or diagnosed by a doctor with Lyme disease?

I have also lost my hearing and am deaf too. So in that respect, I completely understand your shock and frustration. I was completely devastated and destroyed when I came back from the audiologist appointment. I knew it was bad for a long time, but the actual severity and realisation as a fact just rocked me to the core. I felt my life was destroyed, things were bad enough with all my other symptoms and sickness, but this one, was a life changer!!! Yes, hearing loss is completely socially isolating and a huge life disability. I could go on and on about all the different ways it has changed my life, the difficulties and frustrations but I am sure you are well aware of yourself.

Have you been to an audiologist? Are hearing aids a possibility?

I finally got my hearing aids about this time last year, I put it off for so long, and I regret that so much cos my hearing loss progressed as I left it. But things have improved for me since getting the hearing aids, my speech difficulties have gone away, I rarely get tinnitus anymore, and others improvements too - stress and anxiety. Ok , yes I still get stressed and frustrated when I can't hear or repeat something someone says and it is completely wrong. My hearing is not perfect but has made a huge improvement to be able to hear and understand some/most of what is going on around me, compared to being in silent isolated world.

Another thing is really important, is avoiding getting super stressed out, I find my hearing is really affected by my stress levels.
I think it is really important that you address this in a practical way, get some help professionally and find ways to deal or manage it. Yes, it is awful thing you are facing but getting angry and blaming posters isn't going to help. Your life is not over, just changed and needs to be managed and adapted to suit.

some people on this forum LIED and told me I had Lyme's disease and MISDIAGNOSED me on a forum and now I am DEAF

Please refer to our rules/policies especially the following:

The messages on the forums do not constitute medical advice by qualified health professionals. Always consult your physician before trying any treatments recommended by forum members.

Members like to exchange information, give their opinions. Somebody might have suggested your symptoms appeared to be lyme, but the onus was on you to go to a professional for appropriate testing, diagnosis, and treatment. We are mostly all sick patients on this forum and certainly do not need the added burden of being blamed for causing problems in others.

I am sorry you are going through all of this @physicsstudent13 and I hope find the appropriate medical care that you need.

Please note that members are free to post on whatever thread they wish to post on.

Thank you. :hug: