Phoenix Rising: The Gift That Keeps on Giving All Year Long
This holiday season Jody Smith turns her eyes to the people of Phoenix Rising and gives thanks for you all ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Hornig/Lipkin cytokine study out now - press release

Discussion in 'Latest ME/CFS Research' started by Sasha, Feb 27, 2015.

1. Scarecrow

Scarecrow Revolting Peasant

Scotland
    That's just it - the sample size is far too small to draw a conclusion. 4 of the 29 patients had duration 3 years of less, and 3 2 of those patients did not respond, one had a reaction to treatment and did not continue. It takes just one of them to be a responder to almost balance the period of illness duration and then you wouldn't even be thinking about a trend.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2015
    MeSci and SOC like this.
  2. Scarecrow

Scarecrow Revolting Peasant

Scotland
    They're just simple means based on 18 responders, 10 non responders and one did not complete. Note that I've recalculated because I did not notice that one of the 4 short duration patients had withdrawn.

3. msf

msf Senior Member

Yes, I agree, the trend might not be significant.

BurnA likes this.
  4. BurnA

BurnA Senior Member

In a cohort of 30 patients one or two long durations in either category can easily skew the averages. I dont think averages provide any useful data. In fact i would say they should almost be ignored unless dealing with very large sets.

Scarecrow likes this.
  5. BurnA

BurnA Senior Member

Just curious, would rtx patients who relapse have similar biological profile to those of short duration or long duration ? In other words would the response reset the system or not ?
    Has this been looked at ?

See more popular forum discussions.