May 12, 2017 Is International ME/CFS and FM Awareness Day
International ME/CFS and FM Awareness Day is May 12th, 2017. Jody Smith shares some information about upcoming events and ways you can be heard ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Hornig/Lipkin cytokine study out now - press release

Discussion in 'Latest ME/CFS Research' started by Sasha, Feb 27, 2015.

1. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK

2. Simon

Simon

Monmouth, UK
    Distinct plasma immune singatures in ME/CFS present early in the course of the illness

Mady Hornig, José G. Montoya, Nancy G. Klimas, Susan Levine, Donna Felsenstein, Lucinda Bateman, Daniel L. Peterson, C. Gunnar Gottschalk, Andrew F. Schultz, Xiaoyu Che, Meredith L. Eddy, Anthony L. Komaroff, W. Ian Lipkin

my typed abstract, apologies for any errors

ME/CFS is an unexplained incapacitating illness that may affect up to 4 million people in the US alone. There is no validated laboratory test for diagnosis or managment despite global efforts to find biomarkers of the disease. We considered the possibility that inabillity to identify such biomarkers reflected variation in diagnostic criteria and laboratory methods as well as the timing of sample collection during the course of the illness.

Accordingly, we leveraged two large, multicenter cohort studies of ME/CFS to assess the relationship of immune signatures with diagnosis, illness duration and other clinical variables. Controls were frequency matched on key variables known to affect immune status, including season of sampling and geographic site, in addition to age and sex.

We report here distinct alterations in plasma immune signatures early in the course of ME/CFS (n=52) relative to healthy controls (n=340) that are not present in longer duration of the illness (n=246).

Analyses based on duration revealed that early ME/CFS cases had a prominent activation of both pro- and anti-inflammatory cytokines as well as disociation of intercytokine regulatory networks. We found a stronger correlation of cytokine alterations with illness duration than with measures of illness severity, suggesting the immunopathology of ME/CFS is not static. These findings have critical implications for discovery of interventiona strategies and early diagnosis in ME/CFS.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2015
  3. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK
    A separate thread on the full paper will be started shortly - let's discuss the press release here and the full paper on the full-paper thread once it's posted.

If you want to help leverage this to call for donations, NIH funding and congressional support, see this thread. :)

4. justy

justy Donate Advocate Demonstrate

U.K
    Great news indeed and tinged with sadness after the death of Vanessa Li.

WillowJ, NK17, charlie1 and 12 others like this.
  5. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK
  6. charles shepherd

charles shepherd Senior Member

7. snowathlete

snowathlete

UK
    Great research! Thanks for telling us about it :thumbsup:
    This is the sort of solid work you get when you have people like Lipkin involved.

8. charles shepherd

9. charles shepherd

Ruthie24, justy and barbc56 like this.
  10. Bob

Bob

England (south coast)
    Just look at that list of authors in the research paper!

Mady Hornig, José G. Montoya, Nancy G. Klimas, Susan Levine, Donna Felsenstein, Lucinda Bateman, Daniel L. Peterson, C. Gunnar Gottschalk, Andrew F. Schultz, Xiaoyu Che, Meredith L. Eddy, Anthony L. Komaroff, W. Ian Lipkin

Last edited: Feb 27, 2015
    leela, NK17, Marky90 and 22 others like this.
  11. adreno

adreno PR activist

12. greeneagledown

greeneagledown Senior Member

13. charles shepherd

beaker, Ruthie24, justy and 5 others like this.
  14. concepcion

concepcion Senior Member

Ruthie24 and barbc56 like this.
  15. bertiedog

bertiedog Senior Member

South East England, UK
    Fantastic!!!

Pam

16. wdb

wdb Senior Member

London
  17. Simon

Simon

Monmouth, UK
    About the cohorts they used:
    • NIH (originally for XMRV study)= 147 cases, all meet Fukuda and CCC, all with viral-like onset
    • CFI cohort, =203 cases, meet either or both Fukuda and CCC. Nb 52 of NIH cohors subsequently recruited into CFI cohort - for these just the original NIH sample was used, hence the total cases of 298
    • carefully matched controls for both, by geography, season of sampling, age and sex as these can all affect immune profiles
    • ME/CFS cases split into short duration (< 3 years from onset [not diagnosis]) n=52 and long duration, n=245
    Not surprisingly, there was a big age difference between short and long duration patients:
    • Short duration (mean 1.7 years ill), mean age of 40.5
    • Long duration (mean 13.2 years ill), mean age 50.2
    Though illness severity (MFI Mental Fatigue was the chosen measure of severity) was similar in short and long duration cases.

And yes, that's a very big study indeed.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2015
    George, MEMum, Forebearance and 20 others like this.
  18. barbc56

barbc56 Senior Member

For some reason nothing happens and I get an error message when I hit like. So here is a big LIKE!!:)

Edit

Fixed!

justy, rosie26 and Bob like this.
  19. halcyon

halcyon Senior Member

"First biological proof"? Really? :rofl:

Iquitos, tiswasis, WillowJ and 23 others like this.
  20. Bob

Bob

England (south coast)
    Well, it makes a good headline, even if not accurate! (Esp coming from Lipkin's lab and Stanford.)

See more popular forum discussions.