• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Hornig/Lipkin cytokine study: Foreign language coverage

Last edited:

Never Give Up

Collecting improvements, until there's a cure.
A bad one...

http://www.aerzteblatt.de/nachricht...udie-findet-fruehe-Immunsignatur#comment22070

It starts o.k. but in the later paragraphs they dismiss the study by quoting Peter White, they refer to XMRV saying that reservation is needed in regard to CFS research and worst that most research is funded by patient organizations which might pressure researchers to provide positive findings:mad:

Wow, now there's a new angle, to me anyway. Anyone ever heard that one before?

There is so much criticism everywhere, coming from all sides. I guess we shouldn't be surprised. This is not the be all and end of of ME/CFS research. It's a great step forward, but we don't know if these cytokine patterns are unique to ME/CFS patients or common to 28 other diseases. Oops, look there, I just criticized it myself. Dr. Davis once said, "research is a competitive sport." Indeed.

Aurator

we don't know if these cytokine patterns are unique to ME/CFS patients or common to 28 other diseases.
In a way I'm not sure that matters overmuch at this stage; what matters, I think, is whether the cytokine patterns are evidence of disease. Is there not universal agreement that they are?

Jammy88

Lol,

it's funny cuz of course it's a biological disease. Such a long time for such an 'incredible' discovery. …..

So now please give us antivirals or other proper treatment. Thank you.

alex3619

So now please give us antivirals or other proper treatment.
That is one of the huge issues. There are no proper treatments. Decent studies are only now emerging. In a few years I hope to see several treatments. Most treatments so far are essentially off label, and though they might be very successful, or successful in subgroups (e.g. antivirals) these are not generally recognized.

Most of what we have is stuff we have figured out ourselves, or from doctors who have gone out on a limb to try stuff. I am of course not counting CBT/GET. The quality of that research is so poor (in general) that I now look closely at everything they say ... and keep seeing counterfactuals and fallacies.

Jammy88

That is one of the huge issues. There are no proper treatments. Decent studies are only now emerging. In a few years I hope to see several treatments. Most treatments so far are essentially off label, and though they might be very successful, or successful in subgroups (e.g. antivirals) these are not generally recognized.

Most of what we have is stuff we have figured out ourselves, or from doctors who have gone out on a limb to try stuff. I am of course not counting CBT/GET. The quality of that research is so poor (in general) that I now look closely at everything they say ... and keep seeing counterfactuals and fallacies.
I know… I was just saying that I want proper treatments asap for the all of us..

Best