1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Dr. Kerr, I presume?
Clark Ellis brings us a rare interview with British researcher Dr. Jonathan Kerr who is now living in Colombia.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Hormone Chaos/Depression/Feeling Crazy.. help please??

Discussion in 'Hormones' started by alice111, Aug 15, 2014.

1. alice111

alice111

I will make this relatively short.. I don't want to overwhelm with info. The gist is I have been dealing with horrendous (worst part of the illness.. ) PMDD/ general hormonal imbalance pretty much since I got sick.

I had a recent improvement when I started cortef (a few months ago) however that seems to have "worn off".. and I am now as bad as ever. My symptoms are:

-depression/ crying all day

-irritable, agitated.. insanely "wired" yet still tired.. feels like im going to explode.. bad.
    -skin breaking out...

so pretty much the usual stuff you see under "estrogen dominance" or "pms" symptoms.. but day after day starts to feel like im losing my mind.

I have tried pretty much everything out there.. progesterone cream, oral progesterone, DIM, indol 3 carbinol, herbs, homeopathy... and im on a low low sugar diet. the only thing i have found that helps as a band aid solution to take the edge off is xanax. but sometimes even that doesnt work.

Please any suggestions???!!! -- really anything. short term solution, band aid, i dont care something to help in any way.
    thank you

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 16, 2014
  2. Snowdrop

Snowdrop Senior Member

Toronto
    Hi @alice111

That's a tough problem. I'm sorry to hear of your suffering.

As it happens though I was just looking at this estrogen issue for my daughter and I found the link below.
    I have no idea if it will be helpful at all but seeing as how you said anything. . .
    It may be that you've already covered what's suggested in the article.

Hope you find relief (if so please share)
    SD

http://www.poliquingroup.com/Articl...01/10_Ways_To_Lower_Estrogen_Toxic_Load_.aspx

3. A.B.

A.B. Senior Member

Why are you on a low sugar diet?

People with lowish cortisol and reactive hypoglycemia tend to get worse on a low sugar diet. And for me it feels exactly like wired, extremely exhausted and restless.

Mood swings can also be caused by blood sugar issues as the body reacts with adrenaline which causes either fearfullness/anxiety, or irritability and aggressiveness.

4. adreno

adreno 3% neanderthal

Tundras of Europa
    So you are still on HC? This might make you worse, rather than better.

5. A.B.

A.B. Senior Member

In addition to this, if you stopped using cortisone, how quickly did you stop it?

6. minkeygirl

minkeygirl Narcissism = lack of self awareness

Left Coast
    I am estrogen dominant even though I don't have any hormones. I found finding the correct OTC progesterone is key.

I use Ess pro'leve. It has no scent, no crap in it and works great to stop my nausea and headaches. http://www.natureshealthshoppe.com/index.php

@Sushi, @alice111 Please take the all caps out of your title, and in your post. It kills my brain. Also please put more paragraphs in your post. It was a nightmare for me to read. The only thing I was able to pick up was estrogen dominance.

7. Adlyfrost

Adlyfrost Senior Member

NJ
    My daughter (only 21) has had those symptoms since puberty. She had the most extreme case of PMDD I have ever heard of. She has found prometrium (a peanut derived progesterone) and natural progesterone to be a life saver in sanity. She needs a high dosage- luckily her doctors have let her experiment with dosage. I think the prometrium is the strongest. Goodluck with everything.

8. minkeygirl

Left Coast
    Fyi. Prometrium has a side effect of constipation. In my case it felt like my intestines were being twisted and that's why I couldn't "go". So it's not without problems.

9. Adlyfrost

Adlyfrost Senior Member

NJ
    Thx @minkeygirl . Didn't know. My daughter has chronic diarrhea and weightless so it wasn't an issue for her. She actually gained weight on it and was happy about that. Natural bio-identical compounded progesterone may be a good option if trying to avoid those side effects.

10. minkeygirl

Left Coast
    @Adlyfrost I've been on Bioidentical for years. Glad the P helps your daughter but not good for me.

Adlyfrost likes this.
  11. Ema

Ema Senior Member

Midwest USA
    Prometrium is simply the brand name for oral bioidentical progesterone. It is USP progesterone in peanut and/or sunflower oil meant to be swallowed. Dosages are higher than with creams to make up for all that is lost in metabolism though the liver.

There are pluses and minuses to every form of delivery. The key is bioidentical (or biomemetic to be precise) over synthetics.

12. Adlyfrost

Adlyfrost Senior Member

NJ
    My understanding is that most compounded bio-identical creams are mostly soy based. And in my daughter's case, they worked differently- they had less side-effects.

The prometrium, on the other hand, made her much more sleepy, at least until she got used to it. She liked that though since she had insomnia.

See more popular forum discussions.