• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Hoping someone can give me some advice with remaining symptoms

tdog333

@tdog333 I mentioned celiac artery compression as a rare cause of some of the symptoms you mentioned, I was just reading over something on the subject and I notice that it can also be the reason for shortness of breath.

"Many patients complain of a variety of vegetative symptoms that emanate from the ganglion. These are dizziness, vertigo, anorexia, (near)-fainting, diarrheal bouts, gastric fullness soon after starting to eat, nausea, shortness of breath [32]. In animal experiments even eclamptic seizures could be produced by irritating the CG [41]. Difficulties in breathing are often confused with exertional asthma, since many patients complain about shortness of breath in sport activities. The correct diagnosis can be suspected if the patient is asked to describe clearly if the problem consists of blocked deep inspiration (which is provoked by physical activity – thus pointing to CGCS) or if the expiration is not fully possible (bronchial asthma). My hypothesis is that wide amplitudes of diaphragmatic movements are suppressed by reflexes to diminish the unpleasant sensations caused by the celiac ganglion compression which are substantially aggravated by deep breathing and expiration."
http://gastroenterologen.no/2013/11/the-celiac-ganglion-artery-compression-syndrome-cgcs/

Thanks for that link! I have lots of those symptoms, are there any effective treatments?

I have found some relief the past few days from a combination of a few things, the first being gelatin, I have been eating/drinking TONS of gelatin(the great lakes brand) (like around 6 tablespoons a day) and lots of probiotics, specifically the 16 strain on swanson's site, bacillus coagulans, lactobacillus reutari, and another combo called probioserene. I have had the best digestion I've had since getting sick, I'm still experimenting with things.

kangaSue

@tdog333 Short answer is, generally, no. There's a complex surgical fix but more often than not, it doesn't resolve symptoms which I think has a lot to do with something called no-reflow phenomenon, blood flow to the bigger mesentery arteries and veins is improved but ischemic damage to the microvasculature makes it resistant to accepting blood flow again. I would hazard a guess that, like myself, they are still contending with NOMI after surgery when the condition has been chronic in nature and vasodilators are the only option for that.

If I could tolerate gelatin, I'd be into brewing up home-made bone broth.

2Cor.12:9

Pure peppermint oil makes me very nauseous. Have you tried ginger? You can put regular ginger in empty capsules that you can buy at the pharmacy. If you have a Trader Joe's around, they sell chewable ginger. It's worth a try as it's an old time remedy for nausea and vomiting. We've used it for years.

tdog333

Pure peppermint oil makes me very nauseous. Have you tried ginger? You can put regular ginger in empty capsules that you can buy at the pharmacy. If you have a Trader Joe's around, they sell chewable ginger. It's worth a try as it's an old time remedy for nausea and vomiting. We've used it for years.

Thanks for the suggestion, I have been taking 1000mg of ginger after each meal, it helps a bit but is not a cure

I have recently figured out I have high reverse t3 thyroid, so I've been trying t3 my Dr prescribed. The main cause of high rt3 is cortisol issues, high cortisol can cause bad nausea, so I'm trying to look into that more.

tdog333

Okay so I discovered something interesting, I started doing light jogs since I am in horrible shape after being in bed from cfs for a long time. I've been working my way up to a couple miles a day. I start the run and still have nausea and indigestion, feeling like food is stuck in my stomach. At the end of the run I feel like the food has left. I'm wondering if I have a motility or nerve signaling problem or something like that. Either the higher blood flow, or the physical jarring of running is making a difference, but only for the meal I run after.

kangaSue

@tdog333 It not sure if it is only the case with maximal exercise but during exercise, blood flow to the gut becomes reduced because it is redirected away to skeletal muscles to prevent them suffering ischemic insult. I did see somewhere recently that light exercise stimulates function of the vagus nerve so it could that action which is enhancing your stomach emptying.

kangaSue

Okay well the d-limonene completely got rid of my heartburn and helped my nausea a bit, took more of the edge off. I'm experimenting with higher dose pancreatic enzymes now. I have nicorandil in the mail on the way, gonna start with 10mg a day at first I think and see how it goes.
Just wondering if you have tried the nicorandil yet and how you got on with it..

tdog333

Just wondering if you have tried the nicorandil yet and how you got on with it..

I have it in my possession but I have not tried it yet, I was seeing some amazing results from d-limonene and a low carb diet. I still may experiment with it, but I've been having chronic headaches and I know one of the side effects is bad headaches, so I don't want to try it until I get my headache problem resolved