August 8th, 2016: Understanding and Remembrance Day for Severe Myalgic Encephalomyelitis
Jody Smith joins with other ME voices in honor of Understanding and Remembrance Day for Severe Myalgic Encephalomyelitis.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Honda's personal mobility device

Discussion in 'Lifestyle Management' started by Sushi, Apr 17, 2015.

1. Sushi

Sushi Senior Member Albuquerque

Albuquerque
    How cool is this? Yes, obviously could be problematic for some patients, but at least someone is working on things like this. (not yet on the market)

rosie26, ahmo, WillowJ and 5 others like this.
  2. Denise

Denise Senior Member

Oh the possibilities! (at least for some people)

Sushi likes this.
  3. Gingergrrl

Gingergrrl Senior Member

USA
    @Sushi I like the idea and thank you for posting it. My concern is that it looks very heavy and not sure you would get it in and out of a car or lift it? I can barely lift a cup sometimes so this looks like it is for people with solid arm strength! Otherwise I love the idea.

4. SDSue

SDSue Southeast

Florida
    Love it! The possibilities with this technology are endless! @Sushi

5. Sushi

Albuquerque
    It could work for a one storey house and in stores if you had someone to load it into a car for you. I looked at the several videos of Honda's evolving personal mobility devices. You can see the evolution--here is an earlier one! :jaw-drop:

6. *GG*

*GG* Senior Member

Concord, NH
    Doesn't look good for outdoor rough conditions, or am I missing something?

GG

Valentijn likes this.
  7. WillowJ

WillowJ คภภเє ɠรค๓թєl

WA, USA
    That is so cool. One would have to have good balance to use it, but it looks like more agile wheels. Maybe this will move over to other kinds of chairs. Speaking of chairs, it puts a person at a closer height to standing people and takes up less space. Again it won't work for everyone but it's a good innovation in design for those who can use that option.

(Might be more awkward at a table or concert, though, but at an event they often tend to stick wheelchair users in the back anyway)

8. Valentijn

Valentijn WE ARE KINA

It looks like a cute option for healthy and able-bodied people who want to pay a lot of money to walk less. But there's no arm rests, there's a non-supportive seat, feet are stuck near the ground, and they have to squeeze their legs together to avoid being splay-legged.

So it's no good for paraplegics and similar since there's nothing to hold on to for transferring. And it's no good for OI patients since you're nearly standing up in it. And it's no good if you have muscle weakness since there's no support and muscles have to be used to control it and to avoid looking crass. I can't imagine infirm elderly types being able to use it easily either.

I think it's a huge design fail that will be useless for pretty much every imaginable disability.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2015
  9. JPV

JPV ɹǝqɯǝɯ ɹoıuǝs

10. Sushi

Albuquerque
    Yes, I don't think it was designed for people with physical disabilities--more for places like expositions to help healthy people get around. Still interesting ideas that they are working on.

See more popular forum discussions.