• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Homozygous Mutations in MTHFR (TT) And COMT (Val/Val)

Hi all, I'm new here and was hoping for a little help understanding my genetic testing results. I had Genecept genetic testing done for treatment resistant depression after many medications didn't function as they should have. While I now understand what these things mean in terms of depression and my treatment, I would like a little help understanding what the results mean in terms of general health and what I need to do to help myself. It looks like the Genecept results differ from the other site many people use in that they aren't as specific, but here are the results from my report. So far I understand that I cannot process Folic Acid and have very low dopamine in my pre-frontal cortex but that's just about all! Any help would be very appreciated :)

5HT2C : C/C
COMT : Val / Val
MTHFR : T / T
CYP3A4/5 : POOR METABOLIZER [BASELINE] *3 / *3
SLC6A4 : [BASELINE] L(A) / L(A)
DRD2 : [BASELINE] INS / INS
CACNA1C : [BASELINE] G / G
ANK3 : [BASELINE] C / C

ahmo

I don't know much about most of what you've listed. Here is a site where you can get Yasko's analysis, which includes a lot of text, as well as suggested supps. https://www.knowyourgenetics.com/
Here's what she has to say about COMT:
COMT (catechol-O-methyltransferase):
A primary function of this gene is to help to break down dopamine. Dopamine is a neurotransmitter that is recognized for its role in attention, language, as well as reward seeking behavior. Dopamine helps to cause pleasurable feelings that aid in reinforcing positive behaviors and motivating individuals to function in certain reward gaining activities. COMT is also involved in the breakdown of another neurotransmitter, norepinephrine. The balance between norepinephrine levels and dopamine levels has been implicated in ADD/ADHD; in addition, dopamine levels are important in conditions such as Parkinson’s disease. COMT is also involved in the proper processing of estrogen in the body. Sensitivity to pain has recently been found to be correlated with COMT activity, such that COMT + + individuals may be more sensitive to pain. Methyl B12 may be tolerated better by those with results of - - as compared to those who are ++ or +-.

Also, have you been to geneticgenie.org? mthfr.net is MTHFR expert Ben Lynch's site, there are also numerous vids of his available.

There's a link in my sig to Methylation for Dummies.