Severe ME Day of Understanding and Remembrance: Aug. 8, 2017
Determined to paper the Internet with articles about ME, Jody Smith brings some additional focus to Severe Myalgic Encephalomyelitis Day of Understanding and Remembrance on Aug. 8, 2017 ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Homeopathy "not good for anything" report says

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by deleder2k, Mar 11, 2015.

1. deleder2k

deleder2k Senior Member

Read more here: http://www.theguardian.com/lifeands...reating-any-condition-australian-report-finds

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 11, 2015
    Hutan, leokitten, DataDude and 7 others like this.
  2. Misfit Toy

Misfit Toy Senior Member

USA
    I have a terrible time with homeopathy. The other day when I wrote, "Emotionally Distraught" on here...I was on a homeopathic medicine. I was so sick from it. It was for pain....it threw me into more pain and I had to put on a fentanyl patch. Plus, I had an acute histamine reaction from it. Homeopathy is the strongest most dangerous substance I have taken. I have immediate reactions to every single med. It always makes me deathly ill.

I believe it works for that reason. If it actually makes me deathly ill, it also turns people around. It's finding the right tincture and that is hard. Or..dosage.

A girl I once knew tried everything for Lyme...I saw her because she came to my area to be treated from Las Vegas. She was so sick. Much sicker than me. She looked like death.

She eventually did homeopathy by a woman in CA and got well. She then went back to school and became a nutritionist/ND. It worked.

Wayne and worldbackwards like this.
  3. deleder2k

deleder2k Senior Member

It doesn't work. Most homeopathy medicine contain only coloured water. It is quackery. If I was PM I would make it illegal.

Valentijn, Joolz, DanME and 4 others like this.
  4. Tammy

Tammy Senior Member

New Mexico
    I've personally known several people that have been helped with homeopathy.............but they didn't have a complicated illness like cfs/me.

Wayne and GracieJ like this.
  5. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member

It is just a placebo.

If this is making the news in 2015 that does not fill me with faith over the speed with which we're going to be able debunk some of the dodgy CFS stuff floating around.

svetoslav80, Hutan, Valentijn and 6 others like this.
  6. catly

catly Senior Member

outside of NYC
    My feelings exactly--about the making it illegal part. I do wish I could get the $$$ I spent on it back so I could donate it to one of the handful of important MECFS researchers who are striving to find real answers and treatments.

DanME and deleder2k like this.
  7. GracieJ

GracieJ Senior Member

Utah
    I beg to differ.

Homeopathy is one of my favorite go-to remedies. 30 years and counting. It is not quackery.

8. melamine

melamine Senior Member

Upstate NY
    "In some areas of the United Kingdom homeopathic treatment by doctors is covered by the National Health System. In Belgium and Latvia the fees for homeopathic treatment are partially covered by the statutory health insurance. In Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Germany, Hungary, Italy, Netherlands, Switzerland and the United Kingdom by private insurance companies." http://www.homeopathyeurope.org/regulatory-status

I have personally only used it for a very short time, as prescribed by an MD, and was not comfortable with it because it didn't make sense to me. I have heard good testimonies about it from other sources besides on here. I don't believe in authoritarian denial of access to such treatments.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2015
    worldbackwards and jepps like this.
  9. Dufresne

Dufresne almost there...

Montreal
  10. Wayne

Wayne Senior Member

Ashland, Oregon
    The Osteopath I see claims he had all the hallmarks of CFS for several weeks. Conventional medicine was not helping him, so he turned to homeopathy (reluctantly as I recall). He was completely well within 3 days. I'm guessing his recovery was so dramatic because he was in the initial acute stage. Had it progressed much further, I suspect his positive results would have been much more difficult to achieve.

taniaaust1, jepps and GracieJ like this.
  11. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Senior Member

Vancouver, British Columbia
    If he was only sick for a few weeks he did not have CFS and chances are that what he had was a virus.

SOC, AaroninOregon, beaker and 7 others like this.
  12. PennyIA

PennyIA Senior Member

Iowa
    And suspiciously? The worst viruses resolve themselves right around that three week mark. Just good timing.

Valentijn, DanME and TigerLilea like this.
  13. JPV

JPV ɹǝqɯǝɯ ɹoıuǝs

14. IreneF

IreneF Senior Member

San Francisco
    Some things are going to clear up on their own, no matter what you do. Homeopathy is a philosophy from the 18th or 19th century. It wasn't even based on observations, and there is no evidence it works besides anecdotes. We don't bleed people anymore, either, because no one thinks disease is caused by evil humors, and because it just doesn't work. At least homeopathy isn't directly harmful.

DanME likes this.
  15. JPV

JPV ɹǝqɯǝɯ ɹoıuǝs

Last edited: Mar 12, 2015
    JaimeS likes this.
  16. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    I don't think the failure of many medications, prescription or not, has to do with comparison with fantastic effects from placebo. We know that placebo doesn't work either.

Its that bad research practices, and in particular leaving research in the hands of those with a vested financial interest, can often lead to over-interpreting and inflating results, that is in cases where its not due to stacking the deck with multiple studies or deceptive methodology. This is not always the case, but it is the case often enough for loss of confidence in pharma.

Its also that objective endpoints are not always present

In some cases there is no doubt medication is oversold, useful for some things but then touted as effective for things they do not affect.

One of the reasons dodgy practices that are institutionally accepted are not stopped, and this is only my opinion, is that if they did that they would have to turn on psychiatry which has a seriously deficient lack of evidence for most things. No mechanisms, no tests, no certain diagnoses, no cures, and often ineffective treatments. Psychiatry is mostly about getting people to cope, not curing them.

SOC, Never Give Up, Valentijn and 3 others like this.
  17. JPV

JPV ɹǝqɯǝɯ ɹoıuǝs

Well, that's not what the Wired article claims...
    Read More: http://www.wired.co.uk/magazine/arc...problem-big-pharmas-desperate-to-solve/page/2

JaimeS and melamine like this.
  18. Woolie

Woolie Senior Member

Thanks for posting this @JPV, I read with interest.

But there's a major flaw to this guy's logic. Clinical pharmacological trials typically use placebo controls, double blinding and they randomly allocate participants to treatment/placebo. They produce small effects. Psychotherapy studies - that typically meet none of the standards just mentioned... guess what, show big effects!!! Not at all surprising, the standards of evidence are SO much lower.

Not a fair competition, the psychs will always win, at least till they're held to the same standards as everyone else.

SOC, JaimeS, Valentijn and 4 others like this.
  19. deleder2k

deleder2k Senior Member

@JPV, we should ban drugs if we know they do not work at all.

20. PeterPositive

PeterPositive Senior Member

I'd be careful in making blanket statements. The world is not just black and white and quackery is a phenomenon that is pretty much well distributed across all approaches to medicine.

Surely homeopathy has attracted a lot of bad rap for many different reasons, but these sort of generalization are not helpful, imo.

Keep in mind that most modern homeopathy contain active substances, any dilution below 12C or 24D is actually active and the preparation is very similar to the more scientific sounding approach of "low dose medicine".

There's also a lot of ideology entangled in these sort of discussions, which tend to get highly polarized, making it even more difficult to separate the wheat from the chaff.

cheers

Misfit Toy, Violeta, JaimeS and 6 others like this.

See more popular forum discussions.