• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Home relief for Nausea

insearchof

I googled some suggestions for relief from nausea for someone else and thought I would post them here, as others might find them useful.

This is not a comprehensive list and there may be items on it that are clearly unsuitable or don't work. Everybody is literally different.

Identifying the underlying cause of your nausea should always be your goal and subject to the caveats that follow, this information list has been compiled as a quick reference/reach for tool.

Also exercise good judgement, common sense and knowledge of your own personal health circumstances. For example if you suffer from GORD/GERD, vinegar and citric acid or a food intolerance such as milk, might aggravate this condition and make the nausea worse, so clearly you would not try remedies involving such.

Similarly some substances in the remedies might not be advisable to take in conjunction with certain medications. If you are not certain as to whether a remedy on this list will work or make matters worse, then seek medical advice first. Use the guide: if in doubt - don't

For newbies to ME and CFS, who are just learning about what works and what does not with regard to your body and your symptoms, the last point is especially important.

Remember that these remedies may or may not work, and may not be suitable for everyone and or anyone in certain circumstances and so, are not a substitute for seeking medical advice and treatment and discerning the underlying cause of your nausea, which you should do as soon as your able.

Again this is, a quick informational reference list/tool only and does not constitute medical advice, general advice or recommendations. It is compiled from shared knowledge and in the hope that people knowledgeable about their own bodies and medical conditions and limitations, will be able to put it to good use and or find something on this list to provide some temporary relief, if they feel it is appropriate to their individual circumstances. Ultimately, you are responsible for choosing a remedy from the list and if you are in doubt as to its suitability for you, seek medical advice. Ultimately you are responsible for your health and your health choices.

Please note that an [*] denotes remedies that have worked at various times, for different nausea related causes, for some PR members.

If people feel strongly that there is something on this list that should be removed, then please also leave comments to that effect too. Its all helpful and appreciated.

I will try to add to the list and edit it as it progresses/and or subject to general interest.

Increase water intake*

The first thing that is recommended is to make sure you keep well hydrated. I think this is important if we have lots of toxins floating about in our bodies. A naturopath told me the other day, that when we are not taking in enough fluid, the body draws it away from the bowel (resulting in constipation), but - think about it - that fluid is coming from the bowel and being redeployed elsewhere !! You wouldn't drink out of your toilet would you?:eek: so fresh fluids are important.

Avoid Spicy and Oily Foods*

Avoid spicy and or oily/fatty foods whilst feeling this way. Protocols and supplements for liver support might also be
worth considering too.

Smaller Meals*

As nausea can arise from poor digestion, smaller meals, and or digestive enzymes - can help.

Home Remedies

The following are said to give relief from nausea:

1. digestive enzymes (if is due to digestive issue) *

2. pro biotics - increasing, and or changing to different more effective strains*

3. a little fresh ginger in your tea or ginger ale (also good for tummy upsets)*

4. Fizzy soda*

5. peppermint/chamomile tea

6. short term use of peppermints*

7. 1tspn of apple cider vinegar with 1tspn of honey in a glass of water

8. boil half a cup of rice in half a cup of water for 20 mins strain and drink the rice water

9. half a tsp of ground cumin seed (what you would mix this in I am not sure - may be warm milk with a bit of honey and cinnamon?)

10. wheat germ in milk

11. increasing fibre in your diet - bananas, rice and apple sauce, grains, veg (but also increase the water to help your bowels)

12. encouraging a bowel movement/dissipation of gas *

13. smelling a freshly cut lemon

14. a little lemon or lime juice squeezed into a glass of water

15. clear broth

16. grazing on simple carbs (crackers, dry toast) or protein*

17. Charcoal tablets*

18. marijuana oil (on prescription) -if none of the above work*

Dont have these ingredients handy? Try this:

If you dont have any of the above ingredients in your cupboard, then try massaging the acupressure puncture point between the thumb and forefinger. That is supposed to reduce queasiness.

Devices you can buy

''Sea Bands'' *

They're wristbands that have a "bump" on the inside that is placed on an acupuncture point on the inside of your wrist for nausea relief.

For painful bowel spasm and wind:*

Finally, if you have bowel spasm and or wind - with or without nausea, I have found a glass of raspberry cordial works every time to stop wind and spasm very quickly. There is something in raspberries apparently that helps the gut.

insearchof

I think I posted this thread in the wrong section. Sorry about that.

It probably needs to be in the alternative treatment area. So perhaps a moderator might like to move it?

ukxmrv

This shows how different it can be to have nausea and ME or just the big difference in patients. Most of the list above either doesn't work for me or aggravates the nausea.

For me there is a difference between the nausea I would have from indigestion (I would take digestion enzymes or charcoal tabs) or the nausea I have every single morning that seems to be an empty stomach/low cortisol (helped by toast or croissant or something simple but not by a cooked breakfast for example)

I wonder if it matters what is causing the nausea for ME patients (i.e. is it an entrovirus, food reaction?) and that makes us different from other people who have nausea for other specific reasons. Maybe nausea as a symptom is too big to generalise on?

Charcoal tablets work well for me
Also plain toast or a simple carb for breakfast or simple meat protein afternoons or evenings
coca cola in the afternoons or evening (but not the ginger ale as above for some strange reason)

From the list above these would make nausea worse or in some cases much, much worse
Lemon or lime juice
Apple cider vinegar
Clear broth
rice water
Increased fibre (a disaster for me)
wheat germ in milk (ditto)

Enid

Very useful thanks for the research insearchof - looking forward to the day we know why GI problems persist too - one day !

insearchof

Hi UKXMRV

I recognise that there will be some things on that list that will be a definite no no for people with ME, but then again, not everyone that comes through this forum will have ME.

Ideally, you should try to work out (if possible) the underlying cause of the nausea - is it due to food intolerance, GI complaints/gut dysbyosis, bacterias/viral infections or medications or another cause? But this idea provides cold comfort when your in the throws of a bout of nausea. So I thought what other things do people reach for quickly, to quell a nausea attack?

Of course some things wont be suitable for people for a variety of reasons, (many on the list I cannot use either) but if the list grows, there might be enough useful choices to give some us some quick relief when we need it. So I am happy to list things from this thread to the above list as people contribute.

Dainty

Sea bands!

They're wristbands that have a "bump" on the inside that is placed on an acupuncture point on the inside of your wrist for nausea relief.

Works for sea sickness, air sickness, car sickness, and, sometimes, CFS nausea.

I hear you can make your own. I usually just work the pressure point with my fingers but that can get tiresome when you're feeling so crummy.

ukxmrv

I'd rather see a specific list for PWME or PWCFS or whatever. Then broken down into the type of nausea. My problem is that general lists don't help me one little bit. It's best to be illness specific. This is a forum for specific illnesses and yet, there will be such a range of replies and what works for some will not work for others.

Even at different stages of the different diseases.

However, as I don't have the time to do this for every one and I do know what works for me, it would be rude to ask anyone else to contemplate this idea.

You'll end up with a list of things that sometimes work for some people but either don't work or leave others worse off. For example if I was a newbie and had nausea and then started to to work through your list I would end up far worse on most of the things mentioned - so no quick relief there and it wouldn't be very pleasent. My poor stomach would take a battering hard to receover from.

The only way it works for me is if I had already done most of them and could try a few "new things" that seasoned other people could suggest that would not harm me further?

Dainty

ukxmrv, I can only speak for myself, but in the US M.E. is not diagnosed, only CFS. So even though I match the CCC definition and am quite significantly afflicted with neurological issues, I don't actually say I have ME. Were I in the UK I would have an ME diagnosis. There are other threads where the details of the labels are all being hashed out...personally, when it comes to nausea, I'm willing to try anything that might help, which is why this thread was such a great idea--to have all the possible remedies in the same place so that people can look over the list and choose to try the ones that don't seem like they would harm them.

ixchelkali

There was a year or so when nausea was the most unpleasant of my symptoms, if not the dominant one. I would have gladly worked my way down that list in hopes something would work. The gastroenterologist I consulted called it "abdominal migraine" (!!!) and lost interest, offering no treatment. Left on my own, I discovered that small, frequent meals helped the general, ongoing queasiness. For the more acute nausea, ginger helped better than anything else I tried, but not all that much. Nibbling soda crackers helped a little, too.

Thank goodness this symptom has diminished over time. It may be that increasing my probiotics has helped, or that I've learned to avoid eating things that make it worse (like for a long time I had to avoid raw veggies, which had been a favorite snack).

I do think there are several different kinds of nausea that ME/CFS patients may suffer from (e.g., central sensitivity, gastic motility, food sensitivities), so it would make sense that different treatments might help different people. But given the lack of symptom relief offered by many doctors, the list could be helpful.

insearchof

I'd rather see a specific list for PWME or PWCFS or whatever. Then broken down into the type of nausea. My problem is that general lists don't help me one little bit. It's best to be illness specific. This is a forum for specific illnesses and yet, there will be such a range of replies and what works for some will not work for others.

Even at different stages of the different diseases.

However, as I don't have the time to do this for every one and I do know what works for me, it would be rude to ask anyone else to contemplate this idea.

You'll end up with a list of things that sometimes work for some people but either don't work or leave others worse off. For example if I was a newbie and had nausea and then started to to work through your list I would end up far worse on most of the things mentioned - so no quick relief there and it wouldn't be very pleasent. My poor stomach would take a battering hard to receover from.

The only way it works for me is if I had already done most of them and could try a few "new things" that seasoned other people could suggest that would not harm me further?

Hi UKXMRV

Thansk for the feedback. You raised some good points and I have incorporated them.

Perhaps as this thread developes (if it does) your idea might become possible then. But I feel more feed back is needed in order to undertake that task. If you have some general information that might be useful along the lines of your suggestion, then dont hesitate to post it.