1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Brain Cells Making us Sick? The microglia connection in ME/CFS & Fibromyalgia
Simon McGrath looks at theories that microglia, the brain's immune cells, could trigger and perpetuate the symptoms of ME/CFS and fibromyalgia.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Holy crap -- IgM deficiency

Discussion in 'Immunological' started by SOC, Oct 10, 2013.

1. pone

pone

SOC, I have the same test result: Selective IgM Deficiency. Do you understand how rare this condition is? There are fewer than 300 cases in the literature. We are freaks. :)

What symptoms do you have, and has any doctor connector those to the IgM?

Have you seen an immunologist to get a more thorough investigation about possible causes for the IgM Deficiency?
    Valentijn likes this.
  2. SOC

SOC Moderator and Senior Member

USA
    Yup, we're freaks alright. :hug: As I understand it, they can't even figure out how it's possible to have Selective IgM Deficiency, although they're willing to admit it exists since they can test for it.

I have ME/CFS, of course, which could be connected to SIgMD. I have the multiple infections and reactivations common in ME/CFS. They could be related to the Selective IgM Deficiency.

My ME/CFS doc is an immunologist. Last time I talked to her about the SIgMD she said there's nothing direct they can do about it. Current practice is to use abx, antivirals, and antifungals to treat opportunistic infections as they arise.

Sucks to have a rare disorder, doesn't it? Nobody bothers to do much research or develop treatments.
    merylg and Valentijn like this.
  3. pone

pone

Do you have high LDL cholesterol? This study bothers me:

http://circ.ahajournals.org/content/120/5/417.abstract

Low IgM correlates to development of arterial plaques and heart disease.

What's quite interesting is that a low related element C1q in theory slows down aging process:

http://rt.com/news/japan-scientists-stop-ageing-461/

Unfortunately, in the tests Japanese scientists did, low C1q made the animals susceptible to infections. So they age slowly but are susceptible to disease. Do you look young for your age? I do.
  4. maryb

maryb iherb code TAK122

UK
    @surethom
    the only way I got a print out with the ranges on from my surgery was by saying I wanted a copy for a hospital visit I had last year. Otherwise you could just ask the GP outright if you could have a complete copy.

Its just another example of treating the patients like dumbos, aka NHS policy... we can't possibly have all the facts we may question them. I mean its not as if they could interpret the results without the ranges on.
    morons the lot of them.
    Valentijn likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.