Review: 'Through the Shadowlands’ describes Julie Rehmeyer's ME/CFS Odyssey
I should note at the outset that this review is based on an audio version of the galleys and the epilogue from the finished work. Julie Rehmeyer sent me the final version as a PDF, but for some reason my text to voice software (Kurzweil) had issues with it. I understand that it is...
Discuss the article on the Forums.
  1. Frustrated

Frustrated

During my viral onset in December I broke out in a wide spread rash of hives across my arms and torso, which suddenly disappeared but I would get he odd hive reoccur. When the virus came back for the 2nd time a couple of weeks later I got the hives rash again, but hadn't seen any since. I just saw today I had a small but very obvious hive on my chest. I think this was because of me having to walk quite a long distance prior.

Does anyone else experience this? Do you think it's the body reacting to a lingering/chronic infection or is an autoimmune thing?

2. boombachi

boombachi Senior Member

Hampshire, UK
    @Frustrated I don't suffer with hives but my son does. They started with a virus just like you. He was diagnosed with chronic urticaria. Urticaria has many triggers. My son gets them when he is physically active, cold or hot and sometimes just because.....

It was helpful to see the dermatologist to have this confirmed and she helped us understand what the likely triggers are. There are so many different types.

We have a very good herbal pharmacist who prescribes nettles (either tea or tincture). Also we found that high doses of vitamin c can reduce the severity of outbreaks. These remedies help but don't cure it. There are times when only an antihistamine will do.

Hopefully your hives will not be chronic. I think some people have a couple of outbreaks and then they go. For others they last months before clearing up. I know the symptoms are really unpleasant but they can be well managed with antihistamines.

I have done a lot of research on hives hoping to find a more permanent solution but we have settled for managing the symptoms.

you might like to watch the documentary Fat, sick and nearly dead. Its about someone who had an extreme form of urticaria who did cure himself but as we all know what works for one doesn't always work for someone else.

I wish you all the best

Frustrated likes this.
  3. IreneF

IreneF Senior Member

San Francisco
    I broke out in hives the last time I went for a hike. I also had shortness of breath. (That was 10 or 12 years ago.)

I hate hives. I got them a couple of times from exposure to sunlight when I was a kid. The antihistamines knocked me right out, for over 24 hours.

They are usually an allergy but sometimes it's just not clear what is causing them.

See more popular forum discussions.