Severe ME Day of Understanding and Remembrance: Aug. 8, 2017
Determined to paper the Internet with articles about ME, Jody Smith brings some additional focus to Severe Myalgic Encephalomyelitis Day of Understanding and Remembrance on Aug. 8, 2017 ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Historically incorrect somatization illness eg MS and...?

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS Discussion' started by cfsStevew, Feb 2, 2015.

1. cfsStevew

cfsStevew

Im very intrigued by this psychiatric category apparently a residue from Freuds fantasies about patient health issues...Somatization disorders (the updated hysteria).

I understand that before MRI scans became prevalent - MS was regarded as Conversion/Somatization disorder...and even Cancer at one point...

Apparently any illness which is not explained by test results, or has a lot of symptoms confusing the Doctor, is a fair target for a diagnosis of Somatization...and it has taken a change/improvement in technology to shift an incorrect diagnosis...

Has anyone seen any good articles on this floating around, or examples of other illnesses historically mis-diagnosed into this category? Im trying to build up a narrative around this issue shedding a light on it, because it appears that the mistakes of the past are simply ignored and I didnt hear about an apology to the MS sufferers who were stigmatised int he 70s...but what I do see are articles in national newspapers about CFS and fear avoidance...

PhoenixDown, GracieJ and Anne like this.
  2. chipmunk1

chipmunk1 Senior Member

MS and Parkinson's symptoms are still partially psychogenic according to some; see "functional overlay"

misdiagnosed illnesses:

Movement disorders
    Graves Disease
    Asthma
    Diabetes
    Cerebral Palsy
    Peptic ulcers
    Lupus
    Tuberculosis
    Schizophrenia

http://mpkb.org/home/alternate/psychosomatic

3. A.B.

A.B. Senior Member

A good way to find out what was considered psychosomatic is to look through older research papers.

Valentijn likes this.
  4. worldbackwards

worldbackwards A unique snowflake

Earth
    If schizophrenia is in there, we should probably add autism to the list - another one for the 'cold, distant mothers' apparently.

CantThink, GracieJ, NK17 and 4 others like this.
  5. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    I think this is the second thread on this topic. I think @Bob started the first one?

There are lists of older diseases counted as psychosomatic/hysteria/conversion/somatization. To that you can add every disease we don't understand yet .... which includes probably thousands of genetic disorders.I compiled a least of at least twenty a few years back but I have no idea what happened to it. It would not surprise me if for old illness alone it approaches a hundred, and adding in newly discovered and as yet undiscovered illness it could be thousands.

All cancer was once considered psychosomatic, but especially breast cancer.

CantThink, justy and Anne like this.
  6. A.B.

A.B. Senior Member

My impression from reading some older material is that almost every disease was believed to have psychosomatic aspects. If onset of the disease was preceded by stress or if the patient had emotional symptoms it was considered a sign that psychosomatic mechanisms were playing a role in this case.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2015
  7. Sidereal

Sidereal Senior Member

I remember reading some old psychoanalytic paper on rheumatoid arthritis and they were talking about how the joint on the woman's ring finger was affected when she was having marital stress.

GaryK, taniaaust1, CantThink and 2 others like this.
  8. Scarecrow

Scarecrow Revolting Peasant

Scotland
    I'm sure that phenomenon holds for disappointed spinsters too.

9. cfsStevew

cfsStevew

lol

I guess this is because woman are all hysterical?

thanks this is a good list

10. Bob

Bob

England (south coast)
    I made a list of alternative names for 'somatisation', if that's what you're thinking of?
    http://forums.phoenixrising.me/index.php?threads/psychosomatic-disorders-synonyms.23109/#post-353403

And I included this info:

CantThink likes this.
  11. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

There was an attempt to compile a list some years back. I posted some stuff on it. This is in addition to talking about alternative names. Did I get the two discussions confused, I wonder? It was at least a couple of years ago.

It has always been my intention to compile a long detailed list. I just have never gotten around to it.

Currently though I have THREE tests that have been around since the 40s that are useful in ME and CFS, and often show real objective problems:

1. Tilt table test 1940.
    2. Quantitative EEG 1946
    3 Cardiopulmonary exercise test, CPET, 1949. Revised protocol 2007, the two day CPET.

Those who promote psychogenic views love to say there are no tests showing abnormalities in these patients. For ME we have the above three that frequently show problems, and sometimes show severe problems.

PS I think PET scans date from about 1975.

PPS qEEG is dependent to a large extent on the sophistication of the analysis. Its not clear what year this was sufficient to be useful for ME. It might have been very recent.

CantThink, NK17, Sidereal and 2 others like this.
  12. Scarecrow

Scarecrow Revolting Peasant

Scotland
    Well that was quite a read. And quite an achievement on Wessely's part. He managed to make White look well informed.

CantThink and Bob like this.
  13. barbc56

barbc56 Senior Member

My mother had severe psoriasis and it was considered to have a large psychiatric component. This was back in the 1950s.

It was also thought that where you broke out meant something but I don't remember the particulars. I might not be remembering this correctly.

Also, asthma. I remember my family talking about a cousin who had asthma and how it supposedly disappeared when he joined the army as it "straightened him out".:rolleyes:

Barb

CantThink, justy and Anne like this.
  14. worldbackwards

worldbackwards A unique snowflake

Earth
    Wessely and White on the same bill! It reminds me of that other great pairing:

[​IMG]

NK17, Roy S, Scarecrow and 1 other person like this.
  15. Snowdrop

Snowdrop Rebel without a biscuit

And there's still plenty of where that came from.
    How is that thinking not embarrassing to science professionals?
    Perhaps these guys would like to have a second career as guides on the magical mystery tour.

CantThink likes this.
  16. Anne

Anne Senior Member

Excellent, for years I've been looking for what you describe here - a list and a narrative of all the illnesses which have been mislabeled as psychiatric. Please let us know what you come up with!

Thoughts:

- There should be revealing information in old medical textbooks.

- Stomach ulcers can be added to the list; for a long time considered to be stress-related - science "knew" that no bacteria could survive in the stomach - it was a long, uphill battle for the Nobel-Laureate-to-be who proved that ulcers were in fact caused by H. pylori

NK17 and justy like this.
  17. cfsStevew

cfsStevew

thanks...well people have been helpful here - Im not sure I have the resources or energy to go very deep but there are some good starters so far...

Anne likes this.
  18. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

cfsStevew likes this.
  19. A.B.

A.B. Senior Member

Franz Alexander spoke of the "holy seven psychosomatic diseases" around 1950. These were idiopathic hypertension, thyrotoxicosis (hyperthyroidism), bronchial asthma, rheumatoid arthritis, peptic ulcer, ulcerative colitis, and neurodermatitis.

Let's see what these are believed to be caused today:

- Idiopathic hypertension: idiopathic means without known cause. My impression is that unhealthy lifestyle is preferred as explanation over psychosomatic factors nowadays.
    - Thyrotoxicosis: autoimmune.
    - Bronchial asthma: environmental factors such as air pollution and allergens.
    - Rheumatoid arthritis: autoimmune.
    - Peptic ulcer: infectious.
    - Ulcerative colitis: autoimmune.
    - Neurodermatitis: cause(s) unknown. Stress is still listed as possible cause so it's still considered psychosomatic in a portion of cases.

Scarecrow, cfsStevew and Valentijn like this.
  20. chipmunk1

chipmunk1 Senior Member

while MS is now accepted to be of autoimmune origin early symptoms are is still frequently misdiagnosed sometimes even as conversion disorder.

CantThink, Simon, GracieJ and 4 others like this.

See more popular forum discussions.