• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Histamine results

I got back results from some blood tests:

Histamine: 122ng/ml(1.1 umol/L)
Homocysteine: 12.2 umol/L
B12 440 (ref 160-800)

I can't find much information regarding figures for histamine levels. Only one site that states:
"Professor Pfeiffer and expert in this field considers basophil counts greater than 50 cells/cu mm and histamine levels greater than 70 ng/ml (0.629umol/L) diagnostic for histadelia."

Which would make mine significantly over. Anyone have an opinion on these levels? Any histadelics here?

Ema

I don't have much useful to offer here other than I also have off the charts high whole blood histamine levels. I discovered that Zyrtec was one of the very few things I could take that would help with symptom relief and have been tested several times since then. I've tried to lower histamine with many different supplements over the past few years with no success. I think histamine must be produce to overcompensate for some other missing hormone. I believe it opposes the action of adrenaline which has been high in my case due to very low cortisol levels.

I feel like this is such an important piece of the puzzle for many of us but have not been able to find the answers. I also believe it contributes to many of the symptoms of multiple chemical sensitivities.

If you find anything, I hope you will post it!

Do you mind posting your results?

Well I thought that Vitamin C and calcium were helping but since my symptoms fluctuate a lot it's really hard to determine whether that is the case. I do seem to improve temporarily when I eat a low protein diet but then after a few days of that I feel like crap. So It's kind of damned if you do, damned if you don't. I'll continue to tweak my diet and supplements and see how that goes.

chilove

I heard from a new friend that high histamine levels are sometimes associated to EMF intolerance and found this with a quick google.

YES! I have EMF sensitivity and high histamine levels! I'm going to start looking into the connection. I just now heard of histadelia.. but it definitely looks like I have it. It's interesting someone mentioned hormones as my endocrine system crashed about 4 months ago. I developed the EMF sensitivity and the increased histamine reactions about a month later.... I'm on BHRT (bio identical hormone therapy) and it helped a lot of things but appartently didn't prevent me from developing EMF sensitivity.

The studied showed that 70% of people were deficient in Vit D.. I also am.. I can't tolerate the supplements so I'm trying to get in the sun more.

Pea

Just recently learned that histamine is a neurotransmitter and there are 4 different histamine receptors. So if you have high histamine all 4 are high?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Histamine

So is high histamine bad? What is its effect on serotonin & dopamine? In simplistic terms what is Wiki is saying below?

H3 histamine receptor
Found on central nervous system and to a lesser extent peripheral nervous system tissue
Decreased neurotransmitter release: histamine, acetylcholine, norepinephrine, serotonin

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Histamine_H3_receptor
Histamine H3 receptors are expressed in the central nervous system and to a lesser extent the peripheral nervous system, where they act as autoreceptors in presynaptic histaminergic neurons, and also control histamine turnover by feedback inhibition of histamine synthesis and release.[1] The H3 receptor has also been shown to presynaptically inhibit the release of a number of other neurotransmitters (i.e. it acts as an inhibitory heteroreceptor) including, but probably not limited to dopamine, GABA, acetylcholine, noradrenaline, and serotonin.

nanonug

Histamine: 122ng/ml(1.1 umol/L)

Is that plasma or whole blood histamine? What lab did you use? According to Table 1 on the paper "Histamine and histamine intolerance", 122ng/mL puts you into "cardiac arrest" territory assuming your results are for plasma histamine. If it is for whole blood, it probably doesn't matter.

Homocysteine: 12.2 umol/L

It is a little bit elevated, according to Wikipedia. Are you doing any methylation protocol?

B12 440 (ref 160-800)

I would say, double it! :) Again, are you doing any methylation protocol?

Why does whole blood histamine not matter? I'm assuming Pfeiffer bases it on whole blood histamine since he says only greater 70 ng/ml is diagnostic for histadelia.

Well prior to the blood work I was taking a few supplements to decrease homocysteine as I just suspected it was high based on symptoms. So this may or may not have already lowered homocycsteine a little prior to blood test. I have tried TMG, DMG, Vitamin C 2grams, Calcium phosphate, magnesium malate, zinc, Quercitin, l-methionine, glutathione. I used them all sporadically over a couple of weeks as I wasn't sure if any of them were having a positive effect, other than vitamin C. I stopped all except vitamin C a week prior to the blood test and I stopped the vitamin C a day before the blood test.

I'm one of those people that can overeact to vitamins and minerals, so i have only tried b12 on a handful of occasions. When symptoms fluctuate so heavily it's hard to determine whats working well with your body and what's not. One time after disolving 1000mcg of B12 under the tongue i thought i felt a bit anxious afterwards. Maybe I should work my up with the dosage?

Thanks for posting this fla -
Clinical and biological description of the electromagnetic field intolerance syndrome (EMFIS)
http://www.buergerwelle.de:8080/helma/twoday/bwnews/stories/2784/

My significant other got us an apartment over a store & I've been more ill since I moved here. It started after 1 month of living here. There are refrigerators under the floor + there are huge broadcasting towers near by & electrical cables all over. It's an old part of town... I wish we could move ASAP.

Sorry to divert the thread. It is more important than most people think...

nanonug

Why does whole blood histamine not matter?

Most histamine in blood is stored inside basophils, where it should be. I don't see how measuring this is all that important (high basophil counts is another matter.) What matters is histamine that gets released. That is the histamine that is going to cause problems and a lot of them, potentially.

I'm assuming Pfeiffer bases it on whole blood histamine since he says only greater 70 ng/ml is diagnostic for histadelia.

Unlike histamine intolerance, I couldn't find 'histadelia' on Pubmed.

I have tried TMG, DMG, Vitamin C 2grams, Calcium phosphate, magnesium malate, zinc, Quercitin, l-methionine, glutathione.

From this list, the only thing guaranteed to lower homocysteine is TMG. DMG and methionine increase homocysteine. The others probably don't have much of an effect either way. However, it makes no sense to be taking TMG and DMG at the same time as they oppose each other. Besides, TMG while converting homocysteine to methionine, will actually become DMG.

One time after disolving 1000mcg of B12 under the tongue i thought i felt a bit anxious afterwards. Maybe I should work my up with the dosage?

Methylcobalamin will most probably speed up your methylation cycle. It may also increase production of tetrahydrobiopterin, with a consequential increase in neurotransmitter production. In any case, I think it is better to take a good multivitamin with all the B vitamins. I personally like and take Thorne Basic Nutrients III.

I never took DMG and TMG on the same day and I was under the impression DMG lowered homocysteine as well. I can only find one site that says it does decrese it, the rest say it has no effect and none say it increases it. Methionine was taken to to reduce histamine. I knew the TMG makes DMG but reading user experience some respond better to DMG than TMG and vice versa.

nanonug

I never took DMG and TMG on the same day and I was under the impression DMG lowered homocysteine as well.

Have a look at this Methylation Cycle diagram.

TMG and homocysteine feed into the BHMT (betaine-homocysteine S-methyltransferase) pathway to produce methionine and DMG. DMG, however, inhibits the BHMT pathway. The end result is higher levels of homocysteine and lower levels of S-adenosyl methionine (SAM) when supplementing with DMG. That is the opposite of what I believe you are trying to achieve.

Methionine was taken to to reduce histamine.

My current protocol is pretty much oriented at dealing with histamine overload. For that, I want to produce as much S-adenosyl methionine as possible, to enable histamine to be efficiently transformed into N-methylhistamine. I therefore specifically supplement with:

• TMG, to take advantage of the BHMT pathway in the liver
  • Methionine, to ensure plenty of substrate for the production of SAM
  • Methylfolate, to convert homocysteine into methionine via the MTR pathway
  • Methylcobalamin, necessary to also convert homocysteine into methionine via the MTR pathway