• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Histamine loops, why we can't get rid of it...

ebethc

Is very bizarre, when I take it is as if all the other cfs symptoms are gone but everything focus on the gut and basically all has been down hill on my tummy since then. Not sure what to do. Even the things I could eat now I cannot, so is a love hate relationship. I have no clue what to do, if to stop or keep going.

Did it help brain fog (if brain fog is/was a big problem)?

Can you manage the GI symptoms caused by Gastrocom w dietary changes? I hope it's getting better for you..

thanks

ahmo

I have written a blog entry re the dramatic improvements I've experienced with FMN form of B2. It dramatically reduced my need for antihistamine/mast cell stabilizers. Following the FMN, I did a 3-day water fast, to reset immune system. These 2 interventions have made my daily use of antihistamines and extra antioxidants a thing of the past. It's been truly remarkable. The links in my blog post to posts of member ppodhajaski describe something about the underlying mechanisms, though I don't have a working understanding myself. The suggestion is FMN is particularly helpful w/ MAO snps.

Seven7

Seven
Did it help brain fog (if brain fog is/was a big problem)?

Can you manage the GI symptoms caused by Gastrocom w dietary changes? I hope it's getting better for you..

thanks
Brain fog for me came from hh6v, only antiviral has helped w that( as titters went down so did the fog), Also the OI meds for the pressure like feeling.

I am using 1 T of the unmodified potato starch on my kefir and that is helping. I will do a proper elimination diet soon.

ebethc

I have written a blog entry re the dramatic improvements I've experienced with FMN form of B2. It dramatically reduced my need for antihistamine/mast cell stabilizers. Following the FMN, I did a 3-day water fast, to reset immune system. These 2 interventions have made my daily use of antihistamines and extra antioxidants a thing of the past. It's been truly remarkable. The links in my blog post to posts of member ppodhajaski describe something about the underlying mechanisms, though I don't have a working understanding myself. The suggestion is FMN is particularly helpful w/ MAO snps.

I read your post a few months ago and tried the FMN... I didn't get the results that some folks got... Maybe the dosage was too low?? Were you taking large doses?

I got the Source Naturals Co-Enzymated B-2 and just took 2 sublinguals (18 mg each). I feel relaxed, and like i want to take a nap... good, but I wouldn't want to feel like that all the time...

heyitisjustin

Interesting topic. I have problems with histamine, but frankly I find it elusive.
I get histamine-like symptoms especially in the cold season with dry wind and I have dermographism.

Food like mackarel, tuna, shrimps should worsen the situation... but to my surprise they never do. Maybe some type of tuna, like red fin which I eat rarely. Yellow fin = zero effect.

Bananas more often that not make the situation worse while spinaches can break hell loose. Last time I had some I had a bad 20 minutes of pins and needles all over my body. Thousands of them :(

Do you also get these strange reactions to food, where not all of the high histamine cause reactions?

Isn't spinach a histamine releaser not a histamine container? Perhaps you have a build up of old histamines?

PeterPositive

I can't from either list... For some reason I thought most of the veggies were releasers.

I have started getting an upset stomach from eating tomatoes. Does anyone get a slightly unhappy stomach from high histamine foods?
Yes, often times.
Incidentally in the last few weeks my histamine issues have been flaring up again :rolleyes:
Not sure why though, as I haven't really changed much in my diet, or any other variable that I can see... as usual it is the hidden variable that count :(

@Kimsie
You're welcome. I haven't found any one site that mentions everything that I have found necessary to get rid of a lot of histamine by the DAO pathway. I have it spread out in this thread so I'll say it again succinctly. About 1 or 2 gm of vitamin C with meals, copper is needed but you probably don't need extra, you probably DO need extra B6 or P5P, the activated form, magnesium - you might need 300-600 mg twice a day, niacinamide or niacin - the more histamine, the more you need, so some people need 3-6 grams but it could be a lot lower, like 500 mg with meals. Each person is different so you might have to experiment. The great thing is that for direct histamine symptoms it works amazingly quickly once everything gets absorbed into the bloodstream.

If you are supplementing the methylation pathway, some of your histamine is being taken care of by that pathway and when you start having less histamine, that pathway will start reducing the amount of SAMe you make gradually over the period of a few days and you might need more niacin or niacinamide after 3 or 4 days, so if it works at first and then stops working that is what is happening and you need to increase the niacnamide or niacin.

OH my goodness, thank you so very much for spelling this out in such detail! I am one that has never had any allergies apart from the occasional pollen overload for just a bit in spring, but since starting the FP again and pushing things quite a bit, I noticed I was getting stuffier and stuffier, legs swelling, increased tummy troubles etc until finally it seemed my methylation was grinding to a halt and did. I found this and gave it a whirl, (minus the copper to begin with though I had been thinking on taking it for another reason) No dice, then after 30 min tried the copper, and you are correct within 15 minutes, voila, I can breathe easy. Here it is the next day and I've already taken all but the copper 2X and wondering how many doses it will take to keep the histamines down? Maybe I'll try just the B3 and C to see if that will give some relief. I worry a bit about taking that much P5P.

Take Care, Ginger

Edit: Know this is an old thread, but just in case anyone stumbles upon it like I did... Took Mg (oil) 1000 mg C- 500 mg Niacin- 40 mg P5P @ about 9:30 am and 12:30 pm, each time the histamine went right down then 2 hours after the last dose I could feel myself getting stuffy again (arrgghh) I decided to just take another 1000 mg of C and sure enough the histamine is at bay again. I took the first of this combo in the wee hours of the am around 1 am or so and have lost 4# of water weight! It is like my whole body is breathing a sigh of relief.

Last edited: