• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Histamine Intolerance, and how to prepare for an MRI with contrast

Critterina

I suspect histamine intolerance since a low-histamine diet has vastly improved my "viral-induced asthmatic bronchitis" (diagnosis), and any slip-ups can make me sick for 2-3 days easily. I'm talking a slice of tomato on a sandwich. A high-histamine meal can put me out for more than 2 weeks.

Tomorrow I am going to get a brain scan (due to an abnormal ACTH stimulation test, loss of sex hormone, and thyroid malfunction - I'm wondering if it's panhypopituitarism). My doc ordered an MRI with and without contrast. I noticed in http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/85/5/1185.full.pdf+html that "contrast media" was the first entry in table 5, "Drugs releasing histamine or inhibiting diamine oxidase". And in Table 2, the first entry is "Radiological Contrast Media" in www.data.aerzteblatt.org/pdf/DI/103/51/a3477e.pdf

I will talk to the tech (and bring the articles). I also plan to take some benedryl before the test and have with me my albuterol inhaler, afrin nasal spray, and prednisone, just in case. (My intolerance presents mostly as nasal blockage, asthma-like chest tightness and reduction in respiratory volume, and headache with swelling and tenderness along the skull seams on the left side of my head that can last weeks.)

Has anyone else with histamine intolerance had to have contrast media? What have you done to prepare and how well did it work? I'm going to check this about 1 pm Mountain Standard Time (US), before I go. I thank you in advance for your input!!!

Critterina

So, I did a web search and found the American College of Radiology (ACR) Manual on Contrast Media at . On pages 5-10 they discuss patient preparation and risk factors. I have several of the risk factors, including an anaphylactic response to a food (beer! for goodness sake!), several reactions to food, and asthma-like symptoms resulting from exposure to histamines.

On page 9 of the manual, there are two Elective Premedication Regimens presented. The first one I have all the materials for on hand. It means taking 50 mg of prednisone at 1:30 am. Guess it's worth decreasing the risk of reacting to the contrast agent.

Critterina

The MRI went well. They used gadolinium, which rarely causes reactions. Still I discussed histamine intolerance and my risk factors with the technician, who said she was prepared in case I did react. Tonight I discussed my unapproved use of the prednisone with the doctor who prescribed it, and he totally understood!