• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Histamine and Methylation

arx

Hi,

I would like to know the relationship between histamine and methylation. This question arises because I have taken Benadryl for the past two days for my cough and cold. I have faced some effects on my mood particularly, such as wired feeling,irritability,anxiety and major shortness of breath . I have never felt these before with Benadryl. These symptoms remind me of the days when I was overstimulated with MB12 and such things on the B12 protocol, commonly referred to as overmethylation.

Could anti-histamines provoke such reactions similar to the so called overmethylation? Is there a direct link between histamine and methylation? Will Niacin help?

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
Hi,

I would like to know the relationship between histamine and methylation. This question arises because I have taken Benadryl for the past two days for my cough and cold. I have faced some effects on my mood particularly, such as wired feeling,irritability,anxiety and major shortness of breath . I have never felt these before with Benadryl. These symptoms remind me of the days when I was overstimulated with MB12 and such things on the B12 protocol, commonly referred to as overmethylation.

Could anti-histamines provoke such reactions similar to the so called overmethylation? Is there a direct link between histamine and methylation? Will Niacin help?

Hi arx,

Have you seen this post by Rich?:

richvank6/25/09 3:39 PM
re: methylation, histamine and allergies

Hi,

It's true that one of the two main pathways for breaking down histamine requires methylation. I have encountered at least one case in which there is a partial methylation cycle block, as shown by testing, and there is also elevated histamine, which produces a variety of symptoms. This person is just starting to treat the partial methylation cycle block, so I don't have results to report yet. But based on the biochemistry, I do think that treating the partial methylation cycle block can help to relieve allergies. Another aspect of this is that treating the partial methylation cycle block and the glutathione depletion should help to shift the immune response away from Th2, and that should also help to relieve allergies.

Best regards,

Rich