1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Dr. Kerr, I presume?
Clark Ellis brings us a rare interview with British researcher Dr. Jonathan Kerr who is now living in Colombia.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Himalayan pink salt (good or bad)?

Discussion in 'Alternative Therapies' started by lnester7, Jul 28, 2012.

1. lnester7

lnester7 Seven

USA
    I need salt for POTs but I read mixed review on Pink salt. Some say is good some say is bad.
    Any suggestions for salt type brand?
  2. Sushi

Sushi Moderator and Senior Member Albuquerque

Albuquerque
    I have always heard good things about this salt but I guess I have missed the bad reports. I use Celtic Sea Salt myself. There may be mixed reviews on it too! o_O

Sushi
  3. Marg

Marg Senior Member

Wetumpka Alabama
    I have used both. I am sure the Morton's Salt people would spend a lot for bad reviews.
    Wayne and ggingues like this.
  4. HowToEscape?

HowToEscape? Senior Member

I use pink salt ... because it tastes great on certain foods. All such salt is the same as boring, ordinary salt plus modest amounts of minerals. You can get the same minerals much more cheaply by other means, and without the risk of eating too much salt. "Plain" salt is sea salt with everything other than salt - NaCl - removed, and possibly iodide added (which is good for us). The extra minerals in sea salt are sulphate, magnesium, calcium, potassium, bicarbonate, bromide, borate, strontium, and fluoride, plus more for the exotic one like the pink stuff.

I have a handy container with 6 different variatons on salt - it has Himalayan, Hawaiian, Eurasian, 2 variations on sea salt and "smoked" salt. All are very helpful in compensating for my lack of energy and minimal cooking skill. Plus if I imagine they're good for me I'll feel like I'm smarter than I actually am.

If it makes you feel better or improves appetite (a problem with this crazy disease) by all means use fancy salt. But don't confuse it with medicine!
    svetoslav80 likes this.
  5. Ema

Ema Senior Member

Midwest USA
    Refined salt of any sort is not healthy in my opinion.

http://www.leaflady.org/salt.htm

Himalayan pink salt may contain more fluoride than you might like.

http://naturalhealthnews.blogspot.com/2008/01/salt-may-be-health-scam.html

Low sodium is a medical emergency and can be life threatening. Sea salt can help keep sodium levels in normal ranges and also helps other medicines like Florinef work properly. Salt can also help to expand the blood volume which is beneficial to many of us with OI. Those functions all fit my definition of medicine! So I believe it is important to make smart choices when it comes to salt selection. I personally use Celtic sea salt as well.
  6. Marg

Marg Senior Member

Wetumpka Alabama
    I was terrified about getting a sodium IV for high bp pots so I had an injection instead and it came to normal. I was astounded. The thing is to balance the salt and potassium. Doctors had told me not to use sal. DUH salt is an electrolyte. I make my own drink or in a pinch Gator Aid.

Mortin Salt has a caking agent and bleach and who knows h what else. They added iodine long ago so people that lived in landlocked places would not get goitors from not eating seafood.
  7. Wayne

Wayne Senior Member

Ashland, Oregon
    I just made the following post at the thread: One Woman's Significant Health Improvements Using Baking Soda. Thought I'd post it here as well since it fits in so well with the title of this thread:
    Here's another good video (12 minutes) by Mercola:

Amazing Health Benefits of Himalayan Salt

Here's a related thread I created here on PR:

Acid / Alkaline Burns --- Could They Cause Leaky Gut Syndrome; Other GI Issues ?
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2013

See more popular forum discussions.