Phoenix Rising: The Gift That Keeps on Giving All Year Long
This holiday season Jody Smith turns her eyes to the people of Phoenix Rising and gives thanks for you all ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Hillary Johnson: "Third Human Retrovirus"?

Discussion in 'Media, Interviews, Blogs, Talks, Events about XMRV' started by dannybex, Jun 25, 2010.

1. dannybex

dannybex Senior Member

Seattle
    I noticed on Johnson's website that at the top of the page she asks the question:

"Are you infected with XMRV, the third human retrovirus?"

I'm definitely no scientist, shoot, I can barely read lately...but I thought there were at least four confirmed retroviruses: HTLV1, HTLV2, HIV1 and HIV2.

Then of course, XMRV...and what about Defreitas' retrovirus, that Hillary reported on so extensively?

Wouldn't that make XMRV, the fifth...or the sixth?

:confused:

http://www.oslersweb.com/

2. V99

V99

UK
    The three are HIV, HTLV, & XMRV.

The numbers next to them are strains, so there are three.

I think I am right, any one know for sure.

3. ixchelkali

ixchelkali Senior Member

Long Beach, CA
    I've thought that, too, when others have called XMRV the third. But then someone (who???) explained that they count the different types of HTLV as one, the different HIV's as another one, so XMRV is the third. And they're talking only about the infectious ones, not the endogenous ones. Defreitas' retrovirus was never "proven" not to be endogenous. Although I can't help wondering if it isn't lurking around in us somewhere, still waiting to be re-discovered.

4. dannybex

dannybex Senior Member

Seattle
    Thank you...that makes sense. Although I still wonder about Defreitas' retrovirus, and why no one is following up on that...?

And you're right ixchelkali, there are probably many, many that we don't even know about.

5. usedtobeperkytina

usedtobeperkytina Senior Member

Clay, Alabama
    Yes

Yes, I think this is the first one that seems to pop out and then go in hiding. This is part of why it hasn't been found until now. And, it has a nature that scientists had not attributed to viruses before.

So, how many others are there like this?

Just to be precise, this is the third human infectious retrovirus.

Tina

6. jimbob

jimbob ME/CFS84-XMRV+

myrtle beach, s.c.
    I like going with the third rather than stretching it out, gives it a little more clout, and that's what we need right now!

7. usedtobeperkytina

usedtobeperkytina Senior Member

Clay, Alabama
    third infectious human retrovirus.

don't forget the "infectious" part.

Tina

8. Robyn

Robyn

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

9. ixchelkali

ixchelkali Senior Member

Long Beach, CA
    Good point, Tina, we need to try to remember to say that. Although "remembering" anything isn't my strong suit these days, LOL.

10. ixchelkali

ixchelkali Senior Member

Long Beach, CA
    Um, aren't HTLV-III and HIV-1 the same thing? Or has that changed, and there's a new HTLV-III?

You know, these viruses need catchier names, like hurricanes. We could name all the leukemia viruses after, say, oceans, and the immunodeficiency viruses after Dante's circles of hell, and mouse viruses after, what? Greek gods? Famous mice? (Algernon, Jerry, Despereaux).

11. Forbin

Forbin Senior Member

I believe that XMRV is the third exogenus retrovirus "species" found in humans.
    HIV-1 and HIV-2 might be called "strains" or sub-species of the species HIV, for example, but I'm not certain of that.

[Group] [Family] [Sub-Family] [Genus] [Species]

GROUP VI
    --------Retroviridae
    -----------------Orthoretrovirinae
    ------------------------------Deltaretrovirus
    ---------------------------------------Human T-lymphotropic virus (HTLV)
    ------------------------------Lentivirus
    ---------------------------------------Human Immunodeficiency Virus (HIV)
    ------------------------------Gammaretrovirus
    ---------------------------------------Xenotropic Murine leukemia virus (XMRV)

See more popular forum discussions.