• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Higher Prevelance of FMS in people with HTLV-Get tested for both HTLV and XMRV???

Mya Symons

Mya Symons
PERHAPS PEOPLE WITH BOTH CFS AND FMS SHOULD BE TESTED FOR BOTH XMRV AND HTLV!!!!!!

Journal of Rhuematology, 2006 Nov;33(11):2300-3.

Higher prevalence of fibromyalgia in patients infected with human T cell lymphotropic virus type I.
Cruz BA, Catalan-Soares B, Proietti F.
SourceRheumatology Department, Biocor Instituto, Nova Lima, Minas Gerais, Brazil. boriscruz@terra.com.br

Abstract
OBJECTIVE: Inflammatory rheumatic conditions including rheumatoid arthritis and Sjgren's syndrome have been reported in individuals infected with human T cell lymphotropic virus type I (HTLV-I). Other chronic lymphotropic virus infections such as hepatitis C and human immunodeficiency virus are associated with fibromyalgia (FM). There are no reports about the association between HTLV-I infection and FM. We evaluated the association between FM and HTLV-I infection.

METHODS: We conducted a case-control study with prevalent cases. Ex-blood donation candidates with HTLV-I infection from a blood bank cohort, and healthy blood donors as a control group, were submitted to rheumatologic evaluation to compare the prevalence of FM. The following covariables were also evaluated: other rheumatic diseases, age, sex, personal income, level of education, and depression.

RESULTS: One hundred individuals with HTLV-I infection and 62 non-infected blood donors were studied. Thirty-eight (38%) HTLV-I infected individuals and 3 (4.8%) individuals from the control group presented the diagnosis of FM (OR 12.05, 95% CI 3.53-41.17). Other rheumatic diseases were also more prevalent in the infected group (37% vs 12.9%; OR 3.80, 95% CI 1.63-8.86). In multivariate analysis adjusted by the covariables, the association between HTLV-I and FM was statistically significant (OR 9.14, 95% CI 2.42-34.52).

CONCLUSION: Our study shows a greater prevalence of FM in HTLV-I infected individuals, suggesting that FM may be associated with this viral infection.

PMID:17086610[PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE] Publication Types, MeSH TermsPublication TypesResearch Support, Non-U.S. Gov'tMeSH TermsCase-Control StudiesFemaleFibromyalgia/epidemiologyFibromyalgia/virology*HTLV-I Infections/complications*HTLV-I Infections/epidemiologyHuman T-lymphotropic virus 1/immunology*HumansMaleMiddle AgedPrevalence
LinkOut - more resourcesFull Text SourcesHighWire PressJournal of RheumatologyEBSCOSwets Information ServicesMedicalFibromyalgia - MedlinePlus Health Information

ukxmrv

That's really interesting Myra, thanks for posting. I was tested for HTLV-1 but not until I developed FMS on top of the ME. I was negative.

XMRV+

Mya Symons

Mya Symons
This is a 2006 paper. Does anyone know if there has there been any more research indicating whether this finding has been duplicated?

Good question. I don't know, but I have access to alot of the medical journals. I will try to look it up this weekened and see if I can find anything. Hopefully I will remember.

Daffodil

very interesting. i wonder if valproic acid would help with fibro..it decreases htlv-1 reservoirs i think.